Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tigers' picks no match for Dogs

Tigers' picks no match for Dogs

Mike Sheahan - April 14, 2009

SURELY it is time for all of us to move on from the 2004 national draft and the decisions then that continue to haunt Richmond.

The Tigers have paid dearly for choosing Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattison and Dean Polo with their once-in-a-generation hand of five picks in the top 20.

Terry Wallace was installed as coach several months before that draft and untried youngsters generally are the province of the recruiting staff.

What has happened since under the heading of "list management" is more instructive of the Wallace reign.

The Western Bulldogs would seem the fairest comparison, given these clubs have just played each other, given they finished in the bottom three in 2004 (separated by Hawthorn).

The Doggies have fared much better in the field (untried talent) and in trading.

From Monday's teams: Addison, Akermanis, Higgins, Hill, Hudson, Picken and Ward versus Edwards, Foley, Graham, Morton, Rance, Riewoldt and White.

Richmond's most exciting youngster, Trent Cotchin, an emerging star of the competition, was not playing because of injury, but nor was likely Bulldog Andrejs Everitt.

Foley is Richmond's big recruiting winner, an elevation from the rookie list in 2005.

Yet the Bulldogs can counter with Dale Morris, also a rookie elevation that year.

The problem for the Tigers is the period 2005-07 when the Bulldogs were far more astute.

Shaun Higgins, best afield on Monday, was taken at No. 11; Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (No. 8) remains missing in action.

The Tigers gave up a top-10 choice for Graham Polak in 2006. Polak's career has been disrupted by off-field events, yet he wasn't a front-liner.

The Bulldogs secured Jason Akermanis for a second-round pick that year, and Aker's still a matchwinner.

Perhaps the most damning of the lot is the 2007 exchange, when Richmond gave away pick 19 for Jordan McMahon.

The Bulldogs used that pick on Callan Ward; seven years younger than McMahon, and bigger, stronger and harder at the ball.

He will be in and out of the team this year, yet he is an outstanding prospect.

Richmond has not chosen wisely, nor has it polished its young talent.

None of its youngsters has grown like Higgins. Like Hill, a massive bargain at No. 61.

The Tigers collectively suffer a mixture of poor decision-making and sloppy execution of basic skills.

The modern game penalises teams severely for kicking errors in defence, yet Chris Newman is the only reliable kick in the Richmond backline.

Wallace said on Monday night that he had to try to find a cohesive mix of blue-collar workers and superior users of the ball.

Teams capable of challenging for a premiership have plenty of both.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tigers' picks no match for Dogs

Wallace said on Monday night that he had to try to find a cohesive mix of blue-collar workers and superior users of the ball.

Its taken him 4 years to work that out?

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day Wallet is responsible and will be held accountable shortly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post

Its taken him 4 years to work that out?
    That's what i didn't understand with what Wallace said, he has had 6 months of pre season to work this stuff out.

Post Thanks / Like

Who is the recruiting boss at Richmond, is he still there and why?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Miller had a lot to do with it. I think now Craig Cameron from Melbourne took over this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Craig has a lot to do!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Wallet has to go... all this time, and they've gone nowhere...despite his assertions of inheriting a poor list, that was a long time ago. He and the recruiters have no excuses for the last few years. It's on his head... my tip is if they drop the game vs Melbourne, he's GORN! In the fine tradition of sports teams... the boss says his job is safe, which, loosely translated means - he's on borrowed time.

Post Thanks / Like

Francis Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

I have read this article several times now, and every time I do i giggle like a little girl ... he he he ... he he he ...

Glad he chose Richmond over Hawthorn ... glad he chose money over us ...

he he he ... he he he ...
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Just shows how decent a job Clayton has done over the years, sure there has been some aberrations, but overall a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me then think about the 3 early picks Cheap as Cheaps traded away.

For Street, Koops and Rawlings (and passing of Nick Stevens).

You would think I could forgive him after all this time...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post

I comfort myself with the thought it was a crap draft that year anyway.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post

Wasn't that Peter Rhodes handy work?

Post Thanks / Like

The finals appearances in 1997, 98, 2000 and 2001 were all achieved off the back of recruitment in the earlier years, with great players such as Johnno, Smith, Darcy, Grant, etc. However, how much influence Wallet had of those selections as an assistant coach I don't know. All I do know is he had players in the 1997 team that were either peaking or about to.

In the years of 1997, 98, recruitment was woeful as we didn't have any young guys coming through (other than Brown) and we paid for that dearly in 2002 - to 2005 when those players should have been developed and ready. Therefore in 2002 to 2004 we had an older group, ie 26 years and above, we had new blood ie under 21 but a big gap between 21 to 26. Teams need a balance across all age groups/games experience.

I think we now have a much better balanced team and our recruiting in the last few years will keep this balancing going.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.