Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Akermanis rethink on retirement baffles the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    I think your reading too much into it Aker39

He was asked about his retirement plans and said what he did. Dont take it as him not focusing on this year. Someone can ask me about playing soccer next year, but im still fully focused on this season
    I'm not reading anything in to it. I heard the interview on Sunday and I was shocked. I thought I must have dreamt what I read a week earlier.

Last week in The Age he said this

"I can have the best year of my life and win everything under the sun and we can win the premiership and I still wouldn't be interested in going on. I just couldn't go through another pre-season,"

then a week later he says

I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I'm not reading anything in to it. I heard the interview on Sunday and I was shocked. I thought I must have dreamt what I read a week earlier.

Last week in The Age he said this

"I can have the best year of my life and win everything under the sun and we can win the premiership and I still wouldn't be interested in going on. I just couldn't go through another pre-season,"

then a week later he says

I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."
    And your point? He has obviously had a change of heart and obviously wasnt going to lie about it.

I dont think that him saying that means that he wont be concentrating on this year. Its not like he is shopping himself around or demanding that he get another contract or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    And your point? He has obviously had a change of heart and obviously wasnt going to lie about it.

I dont think that him saying that means that he wont be concentrating on this year. Its not like he is shopping himself around or demanding that he get another contract or anything.
    Change of heart???

In a week.

My point is that Aker likes the attention and sometimes says things just to get the attention.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Do we currently have an over-abundance of highly skilled mid sized players that are 100% team-orented, are incredibly smart and are excellent decision-makers? If the body and the mind are both willing, and he maintains a strong and consistent level of form, I'd love to see Aker run around for another season.

I don't think his salary in 2010 is going to be a major issue relevant to GC and managing our overall TPP. He will be on small coin, it would be a 1 year contract, and anyway 2011 onwards will be the key years to get things right with regard to TPP's.

Really poor article attempting to drum up some sort of conflict within the walls at the kennel.
    Completely agree with everything there.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we currently have an over-abundance of highly skilled mid sized players that are 100% team-orented, are incredibly smart and are excellent decision-makers?
    That just about says it all. If he plays out the year well and wants to go on, who in their right mind would say you can't change your mind?

Really poor article attempting to drum up some sort of conflict within the walls at the kennel.
    Most were not expecting the latest installment of Aker's latest thoughts on his on field demise, but let's face it coming from Aker who is a great media player, this was very small beer and very little in it deserved a second thought.

So to make an article, and journos have to invent stuff to fill columns these days, it has to be hyped up to the shock-horror level. Which in this case translates as baffled.

I'm baffled as to why anyone is baffled, perhaps Sam Lane or the subbie at The Age is baffled but about what? I'd call it a baffling bafflement. Should we ask Andy to sent out a please explain?
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post

"I did, certainly, late last year. I felt that where I was going, I wasn't enjoying pre-seasons and it was getting to me, but once I started playing football again it just all changed. I just feel fantastic. I love the group and, to be honest, I came here to win a premiership. And without over-stating the obvious, if that didn't happen this year I would seriously consider making sure that that dream came true."
    Is Aker happy to play til he's 60...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is Aker happy to play til he's 60...
    God I'd be happy to live long enough to see one but if Aker wants to play in one that could be an infinite number of pre-seasons.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me