Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne's third major AFL stadium planned for near Docklands

Design issue ? and what about the space around it for the room to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    There is a vast area beside the West Footscray train station where you could build a multi level carpark.Which could be used by commuters on a daily basis easily the least of the problems. I am very doubtfull you could build anything substantial on the Doug Hawkins wing .
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post

Haha, really shouldn't get me started on design discussions. I'll just say that there are stadia where the seats go almost straight up, so you're looking down on the playing field. It's not as disorienting as it sounds, it's just a line-of-sight issue that we can work out now using 3-d modelling software, and the crowd really feels very close to the action. This way the footprint of the stadium ends up being quite minimal.

Carparking would of course be multi-level either straight up, or straight down underneath the stadium. There's plenty of space at the WO to become a boutique stadium. It REALLY is just a design issue.. the technology certainly exists to make it happen. We can have a more detailed design discussion if you'd like but I'm afraid that I'll bore everyone to death with the details.

The major issue is not so much space, but traffic management -- how to get 40,000 people in and out of a suburban area in an orderly fashion and not cause too much disruption. It's inevitable to a certain extent, but PP (and the G, for that matter) is in a suburban area, and when I lived in Parkville I hated my streets taken up by cars on gameday, but it wasn't horrible, and permit zone parking restrictions took care of that anyway.

Elements like a shopping centre or restaurants or some other form of activity would also help manage the traffic flow, as patrons may come early or stay back to shop or eat, and ensure that traffic in and out of the game is more gradual, as it is sudden heavy flows that cause congestion.

All of the above assumes a pretty standalone structure though; a more satisfying solution would be to make the stadium only part of a whole regeneration/development project in the area, incorporating the railway station and existing carpark (the project should cover the entire area and the station could be actually under the stadium/shopping centre), potentially including a residential portion as well as a commercial one, with an updated road plan part of the final design.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

Haha, really shouldn't get me started on design discussions. I'll just say that there are stadia where the seats go almost straight up, so you're looking down on the playing field. It's not as disorienting as it sounds, it's just a line-of-sight issue that we can work out now using 3-d modelling software, and the crowd really feels very close to the action. This way the footprint of the stadium ends up being quite minimal.

Carparking would of course be multi-level either straight up, or straight down underneath the stadium. There's plenty of space at the WO to become a boutique stadium. It REALLY is just a design issue.. the technology certainly exists to make it happen. We can have a more detailed design discussion if you'd like but I'm afraid that I'll bore everyone to death with the details.

The major issue is not so much space, but traffic management -- how to get 40,000 people in and out of a suburban area in an orderly fashion and not cause too much disruption. It's inevitable to a certain extent, but PP (and the G, for that matter) is in a suburban area, and when I lived in Parkville I hated my streets taken up by cars on gameday, but it wasn't horrible, and permit zone parking restrictions took care of that anyway.

Elements like a shopping centre or restaurants or some other form of activity would also help manage the traffic flow, as patrons may come early or stay back to shop or eat, and ensure that traffic in and out of the game is more gradual, as it is sudden heavy flows that cause congestion.

All of the above assumes a pretty standalone structure though; a more satisfying solution would be to make the stadium only part of a whole regeneration/development project in the area, incorporating the railway station and existing carpark (the project should cover the entire area and the station could be actually under the stadium/shopping centre), potentially including a residential portion as well as a commercial one, with an updated road plan part of the final design.
    Lantern, if you haven't done so already, I think you should contact Cam Rose with these well thought out and financially prudent suggestions - then leave it up to him to weave his magic with the key relevant stakeholders.

I think it's a fantastic suggestion. Wonder if the City of Maribyrnong would consider such a plan to be of benefit to their constituents?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lantern, if you haven't done so already, I think you should contact Cam Rose with these well thought out and financially prudent suggestions - then leave it up to him to weave his magic with the key relevant stakeholders.

I think it's a fantastic suggestion. Wonder if the City of Maribyrnong would consider such a plan to be of benefit to their constituents?
    Haha Sedat, not sure if you're taking the pi$$ here. What I'm saying is hardly well thought out and I'm sure neither you (nor the council) think my suggestions are financially prudent!

Just throwing some ideas out there (and citing some other examples from best practice sporting projects around the world)-- except that I'm not proposing a $2m "feasibility study" on some half baked concept like the E-Gate project...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Haha Sedat, not sure if you're taking the pi$$ here. What I'm saying is hardly well thought out and I'm sure neither you (nor the council) think my suggestions are financially prudent!

Just throwing some ideas out there (and citing some other examples from best practice sporting projects around the world)-- except that I'm not proposing a $2m "feasibility study" on some half baked concept like the E-Gate project...
    Whilst I am a cynical and sarcastic Gen Xer, I'm definitely not extracting the urine here. I fail to understand the rationale behind a state govt decision to explore the construction of yet another costly stadium from scratch - we already have upwards of 200k in capacity between 3 heavily govt funded stadia circling the city (one of which is still under construction). Surely the prudent option would be to look at appropriate existing structures and developing these in accordance with the future plans of the stakeholders. And I'd love for us to be the trailblazers in this instance, like we have been in other areas recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I am a cynical and sarcastic Gen Xer, I'm definitely not extracting the urine here. I fail to understand the rationale behind a state govt decision to explore the construction of yet another costly stadium from scratch - we already have upwards of 200k in capacity between 3 heavily govt funded stadia circling the city (one of which is still under construction). Surely the prudent option would be to look at appropriate existing structures and developing these in accordance with the future plans of the stakeholders. And I'd love for us to be the trailblazers in this instance, like we have been in other areas recently.
    My thoughts precisely (always had the 'under construction' uni-purpose soccer stadium -- another ridiculously short-sighted project -- in mind as well.. but that's a whole other kettle of fish.)

Post Thanks / Like

There would seem to be examples of the state government leaning towards this in some isolated cases -- there has been talk for some time about high-density residential and commercial developments being built around or incorporating suburban public transport hubs (I have been involved in a limited capacity in the past few years with the Camberwell station proposal -- again, a whole other kettle of fish). A further development of the WO could incorporate this concept into a holistic regeneration master plan for that corner of West Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

The simple fact is we need to fix the current deal. As Smorgon mentioned, Interstate clubs get an average of 70 cents in the dollar per head attending the game. In melbourne its less than 30 cents.

If we take Docklands and say 40,000 people attended and paid an average of $20 (probably higher) = $800,000 and if we received 70% then we should get $560,000, compared to the past when we got $45,000. Over a season, this is a massive amount of money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.