Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodney Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt

Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt

Three losses in a row looks bad, but Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade is confident his team is not spiralling into a season-defining slump. After being strangled by St Kilda's relentless pressure at Etihad Stadium last night, the Dogs coach was surprisingly upbeat about the 28-point loss.

"We can take a lot of positives out of it," Eade said.

"Obviously they are on top of the ladder. Them and Geelong are going to be the benchmark at this stage, so I think we do take some positives out of it.

"If we can have that endeavour and workrate, then a win is not far away. If we got blown out of the park today with a lack of endeavour then you would start to worry about it."

Eade was particularly pleased with his side's final term given they didn't throw in the towel with the game clearly shot, instead winning the quarter by kicking four goals to two.

"We can take some consolation," he said, "because we hung in there. Even in the third quarter when we were getting beaten I thought our endeavour was OK and I think it was a bit of reward in the end for that endeavour."

Indicators in key areas including contested ball and stoppages were good. The Dogs went inside 50m 46 times, but failed to capitalise.

"The opposition pressure was fantastic," Eade said. "Most of our problems have been our execution, which is normally a strength. The previous two weeks were poor execution for whatever reason, but this week was as much due to the opposition.

"You worry if you are in a slump and lost three in a row, I've been in that position a lot of times, then you worry about players' endeavour or their confidence level and the way they attack a contest.

"Today, even though we made some mistakes, I thought our guys got back on the horse. They hung in there."

The Bulldogs meet Adelaide at AAMI Stadium next Sunday and could regain defender Tom Williams, who was a late withdrawal yesterday because of a foot injury.

Ruckman Will Minson may come under the scrutiny of the match review panel for a flying elbow that appeared to make high contact on St Kilda's Brendon Goddard in the third quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt

Three losses in a row looks bad, but Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade is confident his team is not spiralling into a season-defining slump. After being strangled by St Kilda's relentless pressure at Etihad Stadium last night, the Dogs coach was surprisingly upbeat about the 28-point loss.

"We can take a lot of positives out of it," Eade said.

"Obviously they are on top of the ladder. Them and Geelong are going to be the benchmark at this stage, so I think we do take some positives out of it.

"If we can have that endeavour and workrate, then a win is not far away. If we got blown out of the park today with a lack of endeavour then you would start to worry about it."

Eade was particularly pleased with his side's final term given they didn't throw in the towel with the game clearly shot, instead winning the quarter by kicking four goals to two.

"We can take some consolation," he said, "because we hung in there. Even in the third quarter when we were getting beaten I thought our endeavour was OK and I think it was a bit of reward in the end for that endeavour."

Indicators in key areas including contested ball and stoppages were good. The Dogs went inside 50m 46 times, but failed to capitalise.

"The opposition pressure was fantastic," Eade said. "Most of our problems have been our execution, which is normally a strength. The previous two weeks were poor execution for whatever reason, but this week was as much due to the opposition.

"You worry if you are in a slump and lost three in a row, I've been in that position a lot of times, then you worry about players' endeavour or their confidence level and the way they attack a contest.

"Today, even though we made some mistakes, I thought our guys got back on the horse. They hung in there."

The Bulldogs meet Adelaide at AAMI Stadium next Sunday and could regain defender Tom Williams, who was a late withdrawal yesterday because of a foot injury.

Ruckman Will Minson may come under the scrutiny of the match review panel for a flying elbow that appeared to make high contact on St Kilda's Brendon Goddard in the third quarter.
    Thanks Mantis.

Sounds like Kevin 747 was speaking. We got smashed yesterday and we have to go back to the drawing board. I hate the last few weeks Eade saying but our indicators were good. If we are losing to teams we should rightfully beat and we are ahead in the indicators but massively behind in the scoreboard than FFS review the indicators!!!!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Someone tell Rodney the only indicator he should look at is more goals than the opposition and four points!
    I would have thought the only other indicator of importance is the AFL ladder!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Someone tell Rodney the only indicator he should look at is more goals than the opposition and four points!
    I would have thought the only other indicator of importance is the AFL ladder!
    I thought the only indicator of importance is who's holding the premiership cup after the grand final in September.

Ladder position is important, but only in the sense that it gives you a better shot at the flag. Still need to be sharper in September than in April, and if we're going to have a form slump, rather it be now than round 15-22 as it has been the past couple of seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the coach needs to have a look at his gameplan....it aint workin...thats a fact

Post Thanks / Like

Should we start looking at other coaches to win the dogs a premiership then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rance Fan View Post
    Maybe the coach needs to have a look at his gameplan....it aint workin...thats a fact
    Unfortunately our list limits our game plan options and at the moment our options are limited to the style of play we have been turning out week after week for the last 4 years. Until we can un-earth a player or two to take contested marks in the forward 50, we will continue to struggle agianst teams that choke us further up the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Blah blah blah.

Some old crap, from our club again this week. It really annoys me when i hear people talking like this.

It's like every year after a finals appearance & our slogan "UNFINISHED BUSINESS" every year is unfinished business with us, just perform FFS

Quote Originally Posted by DexterT View Post
    Should we start looking at other coaches to win the dogs a premiership then?
    Speaking to my Dad yesterday, and he said maybe Rocket can't take us any further??

He suggested Malthouse, because he might be available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Blah blah blah.

Some old crap, from our club again this week. It really annoys me when i hear people talking like this.

It's like every year after a finals appearance & our slogan "UNFINISHED BUSINESS" every year is unfinished business with us, just perform FFS

Speaking to my Dad yesterday, and he said maybe Rocket can't take us any further??

He suggested Malthouse, because he might be available.

Ridiculous tripe.

A change of coach is EXACTLY what this club doesn't need at this point. It's round six. If you and your father had your way, Mark Thompson would have been sacked after round 6 in 2007, the year Geelong went on to win the Premiership.

Plenty of Cats fans were calling for exactly that. Rocket is at least as good as Bomber, and if you don't think so, go ahead and sack him -- watch the line of club presidents that will form to his door.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Ridiculous tripe.

A change of coach is EXACTLY what this club doesn't need at this point. It's round six. If you and your father had your way, Mark Thompson would have been sacked after round 6 in 2007, the year Geelong went on to win the Premiership.

Plenty of Cats fans were calling for exactly that. Rocket is at least as good as Bomber, and if you don't think so, go ahead and sack him -- watch the line of club presidents that will form to his door.
    Relax, we never said sack him.

We were just throwing things around, about the club & how we are currently performing, it was just a suggestion. We both think Rocket is a great coach, his record speaks for itself, his win to loss percentage is one of the best in the comp.

It was just a general discussion between me & him.

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are too quick to jump on the coach in these kind of situations. I for one felt the effort was far better yesterday, against the form side, with key players out, returning from injury, or down on form. All things considered, it wasn't THAT bad. Of course Eade is going to stay positive...what do we expect, self-flagellation? The season can turn around in an instant... remember 15-0 last year? No one (including the Saints) could touch us...well, apart from Geelong!... and then it went pear-shaped in the last 6 weeks... have faith...

God, that was uncharacteristically positive from me!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Well there's been quite a lot of negatives - I just thought, is there anything the dogs can do to make things better? If the football department isn't making the necessary changes and the coach isn't doing anything to change how the team is playing i.e game plan - then all it seems anyone can do is shake their fist angrily at Rocket and post angry posts.

If sacking Rocket isn't the answer and no team changes are expected, and the game plan doesn't change, then what can us woofers do?

Post Thanks / Like

If sacking Rocket isn't the answer and no team changes are expected, and the game plan doesn't change, then what can us woofers do?
    Get ready for the A-League season.

Post Thanks / Like

But I don't like soccer

Post Thanks / Like

But I don't like soccer
    Then wait for the cricket.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -