Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade says Western Bulldogs still in the hunt

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I think people are too quick to jump on the coach in these kind of situations. I for one felt the effort was far better yesterday, against the form side, with key players out, returning from injury, or down on form. All things considered, it wasn't THAT bad. Of course Eade is going to stay positive...what do we expect, self-flagellation? The season can turn around in an instant... remember 15-0 last year? No one (including the Saints) could touch us...well, apart from Geelong!... and then it went pear-shaped in the last 6 weeks... have faith...

God, that was uncharacteristically positive from me!
    Don't you think in a contract year and one where the bar was raised high after last seasons effort that the coach would come under pressure if we were to slide out of the 8 this year?
    I'm not saying that will happen but I can understand if the natives drums start to beat a bit louder if we can't get back on track and start playing some good football.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Don't you think in a contract year and one where the bar was raised high after last seasons effort that the coach would come under pressure if we were to slide out of the 8 this year?

I'm not saying that will happen but I can understand if the natives drums start to beat a bit louder if we can't get back on track and start playing some good football.
    I think it was raised high a bit prematurely...we still have some of the same deficiencies we had last season. Maybe we punched above our weight...Over the course of Eade's coaching stint, we've definitely made great strides.
    Yes, if we do happen to go out of the 8, it will put pressure on him... but at this point, it's still IF...all I'm saying is let's not write Rocket or the Dogs off YET...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Sleeve1970 Guest

Rodney wake up.. its not Sydney we are real football lovers here.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I think people are too quick to jump on the coach in these kind of situations. I for one felt the effort was far better yesterday, against the form side, with key players out, returning from injury, or down on form. All things considered, it wasn't THAT bad. Of course Eade is going to stay positive...what do we expect, self-flagellation? The season can turn around in an instant... remember 15-0 last year? No one (including the Saints) could touch us...well, apart from Geelong!... and then it went pear-shaped in the last 6 weeks... have faith...

God, that was uncharacteristically positive from me!
    Well said.
    Yes it's a concern dropping 3 games in a row, however at the start of the year when I saw the schedule I was very worried we could be 2-4, or even 1-5.

What is important, as Eade has said is our players don't drop their bundles effort wise/workrate wise & following on from this we need to improve our disposal efficiency.
    Improving our disposal efficiency not only means our players need to hit their targets, but also our coaching staff need to have a very close look at how we implement our strategy against zones.

It is clear from the amount of goals being kicked against us from our turnovers (the highest in the league) that our players are being caught out of position and it's killing us on the scoreboard.

Is this due to players not following instructions? Or are the strategies they are being instructed to follow not the right way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Eade has said time and time again this and last year that a tall forward that can take a mark is sorely missed by his side. I haven't heard another coach say something like " Gee if we had a J Brown we'd be good". Eade has. Makes me think that he doesn't believe we can win a flag with the list he's been given. It also makes me think he might want to move on next season,

Edae's done as much as his resources -player and club- have allowed him to do. No coach would have done better. Fact is we don't have the players to win a flag.

And as far a last week goes, yeah it WAS that bad. Sometimes it felt like men against boys, they made us look like amateurs. Saints should have been up by 10 goals at half time. There are some BIG problems at the moment.

Very negative, but thats how i see things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Eade has said time and time again this and last year that a tall forward that can take a mark is sorely missed by his side. I haven't heard another coach say something like " Gee if we had a J Brown we'd be good". Eade has. Makes me think that he doesn't believe we can win a flag with the list he's been given. It also makes me think he might want to move on next season,
    I am pretty sure I heard/ read in the media recently that Eade is keen to continue with his current job next year and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post

Edae's done as much as his resources -player and club- have allowed him to do. No coach would have done better. Fact is we don't have the players to win a flag.

And as far a last week goes, yeah it WAS that bad. Sometimes it felt like men against boys, they made us look like amateurs. Saints should have been up by 10 goals at half time. There are some BIG problems at the moment.

Very negative, but thats how i see things.

Peter Rohde type problems? Or not as bad as that?

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, not a Rhode type problem, but I think a playing list problem.

I think its remarkable that virtually ever other club has a tall forward target that can lead and take a mark, but we don't. Thats a football department failure , really the difference between us playing in the GF last year and not.

As for our much-lauded midfield, well, really only Cooney is a genuine All-Australian, but Griffen isn't ready yet to cope with the additional tagging he's been getting, Cross-and I know this is red flag to a bull- I don't rate due to his poor kicking, Gia is too slow. Hahn is past it, as well as Johnno (who seems more than ever, to give away frees, usually trying to do too much).

The other major problem is that when we do have possession there is no system of where to go with it, so the player holds onto it, looks for a free team-mate, but there is none, so he tries to get around two or three opponents and gets clobbered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I am pretty sure I heard/ read in the media recently that Eade is keen to continue with his current job next year and beyond.

I hope so. Eade is one of the most valuable commodoties at the club.