Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The starting 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The starting 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Our ruckman had little influence and we got very few quick breaks either from the centre or from half back, which meant that we rarely got the ball into our forwards to their advantage.
    Statistics can also be misleading, the ruck duals were even on the night as were the centre clearnances. We had more inside 50's than the Crows, but obviousley didn't deliver the ball to some one in a position to have a shot as often as the Crows.

Post Thanks / Like

Centre clearances were even? I think perhaps the quantity may have been (I still don't really believe that, but it could be the case), however the quality scales were tilted very far in teh Crows favor. Our centre clearance involves someone like Cross just throwing it on the boot and the ball going nowhere fast. We need to be effective and efficient with the ball movement out of the centre square if we are going to have much hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Statistics can also be misleading, the ruck duals were even on the night as were the centre clearnances. We had more inside 50's than the Crows, but obviousley didn't deliver the ball to some one in a position to have a shot as often as the Crows.
    It doesn't surprise me that we were even, I dont think either team got particularly good centre breaks, but it didn't seem to matter as much to adelaide, they were able to manufacture forward movements from half back etc in a way that hurt us.

I felt that the Crows neutralised and nullified our game out of the middle so that when we did clear it wasn't an attacking dynamic clearance where we had a chain of handballs setting up for a shot on goal or a pass to a forward target.

Too often when we did get it out they completely slowed us up and stopped us in our tracks and then we didn't seem to have a plan B.

Post Thanks / Like

Really good thread and plenty of insightful analysis.

Stats as we know don't tell all, especially when it comes to comparing wasteful and efficient use of the ball. Don't need to tell you which team fitted which of these categoies last week.

Adelaide played our game and stopped us from doing so. Not sure if this week's changes help to overcome the problem but they add a bit more desperation.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Really good thread and plenty of insightful analysis.

Stats as we know don't tell all, especially when it comes to comparing wasteful and efficient use of the ball. Don't need to tell you which team fitted which of these categoies last week.

Adelaide played our game and stopped us from doing so. Not sure if this week's changes help to overcome the problem but they add a bit more desperation.
    Another interesting Stat, was the tackles. We had 62 to Adelaides 37, but very little reward as the free kicks were even. In my opinion the umpires let too much go, and its a fact the holding the ball rule was relaxed this week.