Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Guy O'Keefe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guy O'Keefe

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    I accept that and it's fair enough, that seems to me like the coach's discretion and I support that, but it doesn't address the case when a player performs consistently at VFL level and still doesn't get a chance.
    We had a reasonably good year injury wise so not a lot of opportunities arose. IMO, Players that jumped the queue just seemed to have strings to their bow that complemented our AFL team better than Guy (Reid with his contested ball winning ability and Stack with his overhead ability and pace).

Can anyone shed some light on what the SANFL grounds are like, dimensions-wise? One of the possible knocks on Guy was the fact that he is a smart enough footballer to get to the right spots on small VFL grounds but would struggle on bigger AFL grounds. If SANFL grounds are similar dimensions to AFL, it'll be interesting to see how he copes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We had a reasonably good year injury wise so not a lot of opportunities arose. IMO, Players that jumped the queue just seemed to have strings to their bow that complemented our AFL team better than Guy (Reid with his contested ball winning ability and Stack with his overhead ability and pace).

Can anyone shed some light on what the SANFL grounds are like, dimensions-wise? One of the possible knocks on Guy was the fact that he is a smart enough footballer to get to the right spots on small VFL grounds but would struggle on bigger AFL grounds. If SANFL grounds are similar dimensions to AFL, it'll be interesting to see how he copes.

One of the knocks on him was a below average fitness base and yet up until mid season (and even a bit beyond that) he was finishing the games well and having strong 4th quarters.
    Now he was never going to be a player that ran hard up and down a wing all game but he must have been able to dig a bit deeper than he was given credit for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    I accept that and it's fair enough, that seems to me like the coach's discretion and I support that, but it doesn't address the case when a player performs consistently at VFL level and still doesn't get a chance.
    I understand what you are saying. After displaying better than solid form for a few weeks there was still no opportunity provided to test him at the top level and yet players with lesser on field performances like Stack and Wood were given their chances.

We have probably covered a few of theories behind why he wasn't given a chance but it is perplexing to see guys like Mulligan promoted to the senior list without ever really being considered for a senior berth with Williamstown and O'Keefe getting de-listed having never been demoted to the Williamstown reserves side.

From a notion of competition for senior spots being good for a club you would like to think that on-field performances at the VFL would have a strong bearing with the selection process each week but it just doesn't appear to be the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From a notion of competition for senior spots being good for a club you would like to think that on-field performances at the VFL would have a strong bearing with the selection process each week but it just doesn't appear to be the case.
    I am personally very happy with the selection process and with O'keefe's delisting, though I certainly wish him no ill.
    Clearly selection is not only based on form, but also on attitude, ability to follow instructions, and willingness to learn, etc. Football is now absolutely a team game. Geelong, Hawthorn, St. Kilda and the Western Bulldogs have made this very clear. Talent and football smarts count, but they are nothing with out team discipline. I think it is great that simply being a good reserves player is not enough to get you into the senior side. After all, the best player in the reserves (yes I mean Willi seniors) was Skipper and while I wish him all the best at Hawthorn (except against us), he has show that he is only so so at AFL level.
    If Guy had been harshly dealt with by the Dogs he would have been snapped up by some-one else. He wasn't, this is significant.
    We all love seeing new players blooded, hoping fervently that they will be the next club superstar. However, at the Dogs it is clear that promotion must be earned and I have no doubt thet Wood, Reid, Grant and Stack did not jump any queues, but rather earned their games on merit.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Guy with the Panthers

We have heaps of other 'guys' still on our list who have not performed as well at VFL level

I'm of the view that its disappointing it didn't pan out with us, as I rate his footy brain, but I wish him nothing but the best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Poor bloke going to South Adelaide. Sh8t of a footy club. Plenty of money (in a lower socio-economic area, have 40 pokie machines that are flat out).

Club lurches from on field crisis to on field crisis, coach after coach and revolt after revolt.

Bugger all supporters, and the Oval is on teh top of a hill, near the sea, is windy as all heck and absolutely freezing. Not many of the players live near the club, all live near Glenelg (about 30 minutes drive)

The playing surface is excellent, and the oval is roughly of MCG size, but the club has a very poor history of getting victorian recruits who only last one year.

They had another doggy player last year (cant remember who) who only lasted one year

BUT on the upside the Panthers did produce footballers such as Koster, Griff and Darcy

Danny Del Re played there one year, dominated, kicked 80 + goals and left.