Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy O'Keefe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guy O'Keefe

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    Yeah, I don't really like him down back. I wonder why he is being played there? I mean he has been effective, but he does make mistakes, he isn't big enough, and isn't the best decision maker. Wouldn't he be better as a small forward?
    I was under the impression that putting him in the back line would better his decision making. He also adds a bit of run with Gilbee not being there as much. Hoping that Lynch or Stack can step up as a small forward anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I actually think Harbrow is a poor tackler from a technique perspective - they never seem to properly stick and the opponent invariably still has the opportunity to dispose of the ball. His intent to lay defensive pressure, by actually chasing and tackling, comes completely naturally to him, but his technique when he catches his opponent definitely needs some work. An effective tackle should kill the ball instantly and deny forward momentum to the opposition, but too many of Harbrow's tackles don't kill the contest, and his opponent is still able to distribute further upfield. He almost goes too hard and too quickly at the body and invariably bounces/slides off.
    I think i had that Geelong game at Skilled in mind when thinking about his tackling, his efforts in tackling are very good, all those things you mentioned will improve in my opinion as his body fills out, some of the blokes he tried to tackle are almost double his body side....

I must admit i was a bit "not too sure" when he was first played down back, but the last few games have really changed my views.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have Reid or Tiller in before O'Keefe based on what I've seen, I think Tiller doesn't get the credit he deserves for what he can bring to the side.

Reid will be a monster. I'm thinking a quicker Mitch Hahn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella7 View Post
    Does anyone think o'keefe has been stiff not to get a run yet or even be an emergency!
    O' Keefe has been named as an emergency this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd have Reid or Tiller in before O'Keefe based on what I've seen, I think Tiller doesn't get the credit he deserves for what he can bring to the side.

Reid will be a monster. I'm thinking a quicker Mitch Hahn.
    Based on his one game at AAMI last year and conceding it was in the wet, Reid looked anything but quick.

Cross - like I would have thought

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Based on his one game at AAMI last year and conceding it was in the wet, Reid looked anything but quick.

Cross - like I would have thought
    Technically Mofra didn't say he was quick, just quicker than Hahn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    The other point on Harbrow, and he is going to be beaten on occasions as he grows into this position, especially until he puts some more size on, but the way he takes players on is very positive, he can tackle, and tackle extremely well, we have all seen that, the fact that the coaching staff gives him a nod to kicking out is also a positive.

Unless Harbrow has a slamp in form over a period of time, it would be crazy to drop him, he just needs as many games as possible, and i wouldn't be suprised if he is as important a player as a Wirra at West Coast, or an Johncock at the Crows, will also release the likes of Gilbee to play further up the field.
    It certainly does appear that they have decided to turn him from a forward into a back pocket/flank defender with run and carry and foot skills. Basically he is Gilbee's understudy.

We can all see that he is probably not a natural to this position and most likely has played all of his footy upfield, but it could be a wise move to turn him into an excellent footballer.

I don't think he quite has the goal sense of the top small forwards like Stokes and Rioli, so turning into a defender seems like a move that will give another string to his bow. At the very least it will teach him accountability, and will give him a lot of confidence if he can be successful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    I'm basing this on more than one game.

And yes Bob, I do think he is quicker than Hahn which was my point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    O' Keefe has been named as an emergency this season.
    If so can you recall which game out of interest?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it was the Carlton game, he was in the extended squad but failed to make the final cut.

Post Thanks / Like

The Carlton game he was an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    The Carlton game he was an emergency.
    Cheers Bob. Must have missed that one!

Big_Willba Guest

If O'Keefe doesnt get an oppurtunity this week against the eagles. you would think that his oppurtunity for a debut this season might be lost. with finals upon its looking grim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Willba View Post
    If O'Keefe doesnt get an oppurtunity this week against the eagles. you would think that his oppurtunity for a debut this season might be lost. with finals upon its looking grim.
    I would have thought last week was the time, if at all to be honest. You just get the feeling it won't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I would have thought last week was the time, if at all to be honest. You just get the feeling it won't happen.
    Leaving aside any off-the-field incidents, what do you think he needs to do to get into the team TCD? Doesn't seem to be much more he CAN do -- bests in the seconds every other week etc.