Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stopping Fraser Gehrig

Which teams and FBs have been particularly successful at stopping the G-Train? And their tactics?

IIRC, Harris used to do well against Gehrig, but not so recently. Should we play someone else on him or try different tactics eg block up his space?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stopping Fraser Gehrig

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Which teams and FBs have been particularly successful at stopping the G-Train? And their tactics?

IIRC, Harris used to do well against Gehrig, but not so recently. Should we play someone else on him or try different tactics eg block up his space?
    He's a hard player to match up on because you don't (nor does his coach) know which Gehrig will actually turn up on the day.
    With Grant out, I think Harris is the only option and probably the key match up against the Saints. This also means that Wight will have to battle along with Kosi and Hargrave against Riewoldt.

I'm only guessing but the players that go best against Gehrig would be Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher and Darren Glass. I'm sure there might be a couple of others as well. I think their tactics are to simply to get in front to curb his quick leads. He can get frustrated if he doesn't get a good off to a good start.

If the ball is kicked to him on the lead he will be damn hard to stop. Midfield pressure is the key.

Post Thanks / Like

Harris played well on Gehrig when we had Grant at CHB. When we were underized last year (ie a half fit Hargarve ot Dale Morris) against the other talls, he struggled as he had to constantly peel off instead of playing one on one.

I really hope with Wight playing, Hargarve taking a third tall and McDougall being able to drop back at times Harris can just concentrate on beating his opponent.

It will also help having Darcy in the F50, as Minson did drop a kick behind the play a few times last week. Riewoldt does work up the ground a bit, and having Minson there will block their rebound via Riewoldt a little more. We are probably in the best position to play them for some time.

rapidshave Guest

Minson dropping back is a good idea, need to get numbers infront of those two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rapidshave View Post
    Minson dropping back is a good idea, need to get numbers infront of those two.
    Is Minson capable of playing that type of role though? Would Street or Darcy be better at it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is Minson capable of playing that type of role though? Would Street or Darcy be better at it?
    I dont know that any of our ruckmen are currently all that suited to the kick behind the play role. Darcy has been good at it previously but I am not sure this is how Eade wants to setup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    He's a hard player to match up on because you don't (nor does his coach) know which Gehrig will actually turn up on the day.
    With Grant out, I think Harris is the only option and probably the key match up against the Saints. This also means that Wight will have to battle along with Kosi and Hargrave against Riewoldt.

I'm only guessing but the players that go best against Gehrig would be Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher and Darren Glass. I'm sure there might be a couple of others as well. I think their tactics are to simply to get in front to curb his quick leads. He can get frustrated if he doesn't get a good off to a good start.

If the ball is kicked to him on the lead he will be damn hard to stop. Midfield pressure is the key.
    Agree Billy, it's about delivery to him. If we play slack unaccounatble football and let his midfielders have time to deliver the ball as we did against the Crows and as he likes, he will kick a record score. Too often the backs get blamed for errors made further up the field.

The way to stop him is to ensure that those delivering the ball are under constant pressure and never on ballance when they kick it into F50. Pretty soon he will get fed up with having to really work for his kicks, pack up shop and clock off.

The question is do we have the discipline and the capacity to concentrate for the whole game not just parts of it.
    Last edited by alwaysadog; 10-04-2007 at 08:53 PM.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

I think Harris' first game back is going to be a very tough one for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    I think Harris' first game back is going to be a very tough one for him.
    I'll say. It's a big ask for him to get back into the team and come up against a talented forward group like the Saints.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll say. It's a big ask for him to get back into the team and come up against a talented forward group like the Saints.
    Yeah, I agree - he probably wishes he was out for this week aswell. Imagine him thinking he faces Gehrig first up. Seriously, it will be a very big game for our Harris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Yeah, I agree - he probably wishes he was out for this week aswell. Imagine him thinking he faces Gehrig first up. Seriously, it will be a very big game for our Harris.
    It's not often I disagree with you BB but I think he is probably raring to go and can't wait to even up the score with Gehrig; Brian loves a challenge.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    It's not often I disagree with you BB but I think he is probably raring to go and can't wait to even up the score with Gehrig; Brian loves a challenge.
    I agree aad, I was just saying it tongue in cheek - Brian will be ready and waiting to have another crack at Gehrig or whomever else they throw at him.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree aad, I was just saying it tongue in cheek - Brian will be ready and waiting to have another crack at Gehrig or whomever else they throw at him.
    I'm glad about that. I thought for a moment either you or I had completely lost our senses, sorry I missed the ironic tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Which is always so easy to identify over the internet, much like sarcasm.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine him thinking he faces Gehrig first up. Seriously, it will be a very big game for our Harris.
    Now now, a little sympathy for poor Fraser is due too.

After the game last week, Brian would have just about been tearing the stands apart in frustration. I certainly wouldn't want to be playing on a fit, angry, motivated Harris.

Seriosuly, Harris could do very well if he plays selfish, which is what I hope he does.