Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: With Dogs so menacing, who needs Barry Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    What CHF has towelled us up?
    Are there any CHF's any more?

The only key forward who has gotten off the leash this year has been Riewoldt, but his bad kicking meant that he didn't hurt us on the scoreboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    What CHF has towelled us up?

How well do we match up on the two-pronged attacks such as these:

Brown and Bradshaw
    Reiwoldt and Kozzie
    Franklin and Roughhead
    Cloke and Rocca
    Lloyd and Lucas?
    Mooney and Hawkins/Ottens

If our midfield is on top, as it was against hawthorn-who are carrying a few injuries- we can cut off the supply. If not...

We need another tall at the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post

Brown and Bradshaw
    Reiwoldt and Kozzie
    Franklin and Roughhead
    Cloke and Rocca
    Lloyd and Lucas?

If our midfield is on top, as it was against hawthorn-who are carrying a few injuries- we can cut off the supply. If not...

Rocca's just about done, isn't he?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Brown and Bradshaw
    Reiwoldt and Kozzie
    Franklin and Roughhead
    Cloke and Rocca
    Lloyd and Lucas?

You can't discredit the job Brian did on Buddy. It's not like the ball went no where near him; there were still several one-on-one contests where Brian completley destroyed him. Buddy still had the supply to kick 5 or so.

As per your request, our other tall defender, Tom Williams, will be back shortly. That bloke Morris doesn't go too badly on the gorillas either.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Rocca's just about done, isn't he?
    IF he gets his fitness back, he's still hard to match up on.

What about the others?

Post Thanks / Like

What about the others?
    Earlier this year Mick Malthouse said privately that he thinks Rocca is finished and wouldn't see the season out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    You can't discredit the job Brian did on Buddy. It's not like the ball went no where near him; there were still several one-on-one contests where Brian completley destroyed him. Buddy still had the supply to kick 5 or so.

As per your request, our other tall defender, Tom Williams, will be back shortly. That bloke Morris doesn't go too badly on the gorillas either.
    Lake did well. But Buddy also had a shocker all of his own doing. He's confidence is shot at the moment.

Williams injury record is my concern.

Morris is a GREAT defender, all-Australian IMHO. But he gives away a bit in height. Against a strong effective midfield, he's job is that much tougher.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the others?
    A big 'if'... I reckon he won't play again. Kosi and Riewoldt we've done alright against recently, this year maybe a different proposition, but the Saints are different right across the field. Brown/Bradshaw - I think our current backs can take them. Lloyd and Lucas - I think our midfield can get on top of theirs, negating their two bigs.
    Hawkins, as many have suggested, hasn't shown much... Ottens is doubtful to play, at least in the short term.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    A big 'if'... I reckon he won't play again. Kosi and Riewoldt we've done alright against recently, this year maybe a different proposition, but the Saints are different right across the field. Brown/Bradshaw - I think our current backs can take them. Lloyd and Lucas - I think our midfield can get on top of theirs, negating their two bigs.
    Hawkins, as many have suggested, hasn't shown much... Ottens is doubtful to play, at least in the short term.
    Fair enough. But I'm still not convinced, i think if Williams can get right then that problem is soleved, otherwise i think we're a lacking one tall backman. Just my opinion.

Getting back to Hall, I think he does take cheap shots, and he picks who he hits. I can remember a match in Sydney when he went up for a mark near the boundary and Chris Grant came over the top of him to punch it out of play, but in so doing he caught the back of Hall's head with upper arm/elbow. Not intentional ofcourse, but Hall didn't like it and quickly swung around to see who'd given him the knock, looked like he was gonna go on with it till he realised it was Granty, so instead bowed his head and just moved on..

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. But I'm still not convinced, i think if Williams can get right then that problem is soleved, otherwise i think we're a lacking one tall backman. Just my opinion.

Getting back to Hall, I think he does take cheap shots, and he picks who he hits. I can remember a match in Sydney when he went up for a mark near the boundary and Chris Grant came over the top of him to punch it out of play, but in so doing he caught the back of Hall's head with upper arm/elbow. Not intentional ofcourse, but Hall didn't like it and quickly swung around to see who'd given him the knock, looked like he was gonna go on with it till he realised it was Granty, so instead bowed his head and just moved on..
    Perhaps when he saw it was Grant, he showed respect by not hitting the great man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Perhaps when he saw it was Grant, he showed respect by not hitting the great man.
    Seriously I have no doubt about that. Can you imagine what a tool he would have looked taking a swing at Granty.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently he's been working on this since 1995. Even today, one long lead just about sees him out for the day - he will be punting in the States as soon as he is out of contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously I have no doubt about that. Can you imagine what a tool he would have looked taking a swing at Granty.
    A few years back Hall nearly belted Chris into next week.

The next marking contest Shaggy came in and just about knocked Hall's head off his shoulders. Got away with it, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant came over the top of him to punch it out of play, but in so doing he caught the back of Hall's head with upper arm/elbow. Not intentional ofcourse, but Hall didn't like it and quickly swung around to see who'd given him the knock, looked like he was gonna go on with it till he realised it was Granty, so instead bowed his head and just moved on..
    See, he's a smart bloke!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Higgins we don't need another ageing forward just because they have some height.

Our style of play has enabled us to kick more goals than any other team (maybe not Geelong) in the past 5 years, yes the past five years.

If we do have talls in the forward line, they have to be agile and run fast (ala Grant and Ayce), in other words, play like smalls but have the height to jump for big marks. Hall is an old fashion full forward and the AFL has moved on from those type of guys.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.