Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priority Picks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Priority Picks

I don't think you can use Geelong as an example. They've had their own form of priority pick (father son).

Gerard Healy said on 3AW tonight that he rang the AFL today to find out what the priority pick would be next year with GC coming in. They told him that they hadn't decided yet. Gerard & Dwayne both thought that there would be no priority pick next year.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems that the PP doesn't have too many friends. Bet Scotty Clayton is lobbying hard for its abolition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I don't think you can use Geelong as an example. They've had their own form of priority pick (father son).

Well you can, and whilst they did well with a few father son selections lower down in the draft, they have really only come out with 2 players that had a real impact in helping Geelong become the team it has over the past 3 years.

Scarlett & Gary Ablett.

Although Scarlett was their 4th selection, the second father son selection that year with Marc Woolnough taken earlier on, unfortunatly for Marc, had some shocking injuries and never fired a shot, Scarlett wasn't rated that high back in '97, so had the rules been the same back then as it is today, he most likely would have been taken around the same time, so you can more or less scrub Scarletts name off the list.

They hit the jackpot with Ablett in 2001 however, they also had a very good draft that season as well, some very good work by their recruiters, and i'm not too sure if Ablett was rated that highly at the time.

Nathan Ablett no longer plays & is hardly a factor in their dominance, Hawkins will most likely be a good player, but also isn't a factor in their dominance, although they did get Joel Selwood gift wrapped from not having to select Hawkins with pick 7..

You compare that with say the Saints, and they have had picks 1 - Rewoldt, pick 2 - Kosi, pick 2 - Luke Ball, pick 1 - Goddard, all elite players.

Then you get a Freo, and trade off all their good draft picks away..., fortunatly for them, they picked up Pav, otherwise things would have been really messy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Ditch the priority picks and the problem goes away.
    Agree.

The first round priority picks are far too much incentive for a club to tank, rest injured player, put them in for early surgery etc.

WCE are close to priority picks despite being two years away from 5th place. Strange.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the suggestion that comes up on Bigfooty alot in that draft order and picks should be determined after round 15, provided the draw is designed so that every team has played eachother up to that point.

It's too early for tanking to really take hold, and would give a fairer indication. Personally I'm fine if they abolish it, but this could be a good alternative should they choose to keep it. And maybe make the cut off mark 2 wins or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    What about the suggestion that comes up on Bigfooty alot in that draft order and picks should be determined after round 15, provided the draw is designed so that every team has played eachother up to that point.

It's too early for tanking to really take hold, and would give a fairer indication. Personally I'm fine if they abolish it, but this could be a good alternative should they choose to keep it. And maybe make the cut off mark 2 wins or something.
    I do not take any notice of suggestions on other sites. All the good ones areon here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Kosi/Roo & Buddy/Roughead are the exact examples I'm against. It's too big of a hand out. Geelong and us have shown you don't need priority picks to get up the ladder.
    Also Kruzer/Judd trade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    That one has been doing the rounds on the radio for a couple of weeks but I think it does is move the tanking speculation forward by a few weeks.

The PP should go but there does not appear to be an easy solution to assist a club in dire straights without giving them too much assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That one has been doing the rounds on the radio for a couple of weeks but I think it does is move the tanking speculation forward by a few weeks.

The PP should go but there does not appear to be an easy solution to assist a club in dire straights without giving them too much assistance.
    Assume the PP goes, the system is still designed to give the bottom team the first draft pick, so calls for tanking will still be made, so the whole draft system needs to be looked at.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Assume the PP goes, the system is still designed to give the bottom team the first draft pick, so calls for tanking will still be made, so the whole draft system needs to be looked at.
    I don't think so. At the very least it will be minimised. The main speculation is that teams drop games to not exceed 4 wins so as they can get the extra pick.

We didn't have the same type of issue or speculation when the PP was at the start of the 2nd round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1st pick, 2nd pick, 3rd pick pfft. Who cares?

Most years there's not even agreement about who should be the no. 1 pick.

Watts, Natanui, Hill, Rich; it was all personal preference.

I've never seen a bigger standout no. 1 than Rich last year and he went pick 7!

Essendon said they rated Ryder no 1, Clayton said he rated Shaun Higgins no 2 in their years.

If you finish in the bottom few, you're going to get a good player and the difference between them at that age is minimal. The advantage is when you get two of them in one year.

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The priority pick is back on the agenda in a big way.

It appears a number of clubs will be applying for one.

Coupled with free agent compensations the draft order will be serverly compromised.

Firstly I think that free agency compensation should be scrapped as the lure of compensation is too great - Carlton is a great example.

If the AFL still requires so called equalisation methods should they look at a draft style lottery system as they do in the NBA? Where a random draw occurs, with the lower ranked clubs have more enteries in the lottery.

What do other posters think?

Should priority picks remain in its current format?
    Should the draft continued to be changed?
    Should free agency compensation remain?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The priority pick is back on the agenda in a big way.

It appears a number of clubs will be applying for one.

Coupled with free agent compensations the draft order will be serverly compromised.

Firstly I think that free agency compensation should be scrapped as the lure of compensation is too great - Carlton is a great example.

If the AFL still requires so called equalisation methods should they look at a draft style lottery system as they do in the NBA? Where a random draw occurs, with the lower ranked clubs have more enteries in the lottery.

What do other posters think?

Should priority picks remain in its current format?
    Should the draft continued to be changed?
    Should free agency compensation remain?
    The NBA draft lottery hasn’t stopped tanking in any way. Teams just try to tank for a bigger chance at pick 1. Sure, they may not get it but it doesn’t stop them trying. I don’t see any benefit from bringing in a lottery.
    I’m also not a fan of free agency comp. Although I can see the sense in the case of Gold Coast with Lynch.
    Priority picks should be shelved and never spoken of again.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

The Free Agency compo should be paid by the club receiving the free agent, not the rest of the competition.

It also should only apply for those in the Restricted Free Agency category.

The current system means that the entire competition collectively pays the compensation by slipping down the draft order.

There is no benefit for any team not receiving Tom Lynch to move a step away from picking their preferred draftee.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The Free Agency compo should be paid by the club receiving the free agent, not the rest of the competition.

It also should only apply for those in the Restricted Free Agency category.

The current system means that the entire competition collectively pays the compensation by slipping down the draft order.

There is no benefit for any team not receiving Tom Lynch to move a step away from picking their preferred draftee.
    The NFL does the compensation pick thing - the difference is that the rules and the compensation are clear...I like the fact the afl does it - I don’t like that the compensation and rules aren’t clear and the draft is only one month away.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes Topdog liked this post