Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to speak to Hall

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What makes you think Sydney would want a Skip, who is a VFL ruckman? I'd be stoked if that's all it took, but I can't see why Sydney would want him?
    It smacks of Sydney recruiting, a there-abouts from another club, who could contribute for them immediately.

He has been in great form in the VFL, and is only being kept out of the team by the equally outstanding form of Hudson and Minson.

Sydney need a back-up ruckman, especially if they're sending White forward.

He's only 26.

They're going to get nothing for Hall, and we're the only club interested; why wouldn't they at least have a good look at it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Why would we give anything for Hall? Couldn't we just get him pre-season draft?
    Our last ND pick (which left unused) is the same as the PSD pick. I would trade it away to Sydney, to give them something, and have the deal done early October (trade week) as opposed to December (PSD). Get him into the club and into a big pre-season to ensure his fitness. Sedat's suggestion is losing a few spots towards the end of the draft. Not a great cost to snare him down to the club earlier, one could argue.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It smacks of Sydney recruiting, a there-abouts from another club, who could contribute for them immediately.

He has been in great form in the VFL, and is only being kept out of the team by the equally outstanding form of Hudson and Minson.

Sydney need a back-up ruckman, especially if they're sending White forward.

He's only 26.

They're going to get nothing for Hall, and we're the only club interested; why wouldn't they at least have a good look at it.
    All very fair points. But I still think of Streety and even more so when talking about Skip's future and great VFL form. Sydney showed no interest in Streety who had a very good VFL season last year, better than Skips 2009, and White hadn't done anything at that point. But then Skip can move forward with more effect than 'The Tall One'. Perhaps i'm being too harsh on Skip and pessemistic about his future in the AFL. If they took it i'b be very happy for all parties concerned.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, I was thinking only having 3 picks and Hall, but having thought about it we could take 4 draft picks and Hall.
    This of course would be predicated on us actually wanting 4 picks this year - we only took 3 last year and this draft is supposedly weaker. But then our recruiting guys might have their eye on a few speculative picks and might want to hold onto the extra late pick.

Post Thanks / Like

All very fair points. But I still think of Streety and even more so when talking about Skip's future and great VFL form. Sydney showed no interest in Streety who had a very good VFL season last year, better than Skips 2009, and White hadn't done anything at that point. But then Skip can move forward with more effect than 'The Tall One'. Perhaps i'm being too harsh on Skip and pessemistic about his future in the AFL. If they took it i'b be very happy for all parties concerned.
    Remember, Sydney recruited Spider Everitt and also had a ruckman who lasted half a season before retiring (sorry tried to research for the person's name but couldn't find him). The Swan's recruitment team aren't afraid to go after recycled players or veterans who are offered less in terms of years. And I did read somewhere that Sydney was interested Streety, but he wasn't willing to move interstate.

DEX

Post Thanks / Like

Street was actually offered a contract at Brisbane but he turned it down due to his young family and career in the police force at Geelong.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DexterT View Post
    Remember, Sydney recruited Spider Everitt and also had a ruckman who lasted half a season before retiring (sorry tried to research for the person's name but couldn't find him). The Swan's recruitment team aren't afraid to go after recycled players or veterans who are offered less in terms of years. And I did read somewhere that Sydney was interested Streety, but he wasn't willing to move interstate.

DEX
    Streety was also offered BIG bucks to play in the SANFL as well, but chose to stay in Vic.

I would actually be happy to see Skip given another shot at it, as he seems to be on death row at the Dogs, and would be happy to see him do good at another club.

Post Thanks / Like

If the kids are not ready for next season then at the rock bottom price Hall could be a bet to nothing.. if it doesnt come off whats the damage.. the n again when we win the cup this year I buy some tickets to the boxing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DexterT View Post
    That was uber-spud from Geelong, Paul Chambers, and they gave up a mid 30's pick for him. He made Streety look like Polly Farmer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Due dilligence says we talk to him weigh up our options and then decide I am open either way but beleve we must at the very least chat with him.
    Agree Strebla, why not have a look at him? I am open either way too, especially if we can pick him up very cheaply

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Street was actually offered a contract at Brisbane but he turned it down due to his young family and career in the police force at Geelong.
    I stand corrected.

The question still remains for me whether the Swans would want Skipper. If so great for him and both clubs. I still need convincing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    James Fantasia was on SEN this morning and said the article was a bit of a beat up.

He said they’ll do there due diligence and investigate all options, including Barry Hall – but it’ll be a process that happens later in the year when list management decisions have to be made.

He also said that we have a number of developing key position players and named Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Jones and Roughead, and that their development needs to be considered also.
    Yeah i heard him this morning as well.

Couldn't really gauge what he was thinking, but i reckon they will stick with the young guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected.

The question still remains for me whether the Swans would want Skipper. If so great for him and both clubs. I still need convincing.
    IMO he would be a better option for the Swans than Streeta, he could give Jolley a chop out in the ruck, but also press forward, they will be losing both Hall & MickyO anyway, plus they have White as a developing tall as well, i can see Skip playing a role in a developing side.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon this is the reverse of the often used " He has our full support", just before someone gets the flick. In this case, the Dogs saying "It's unlikely", means they'll do it!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Our last ND pick (which left unused) is the same as the PSD pick. I would trade it away to Sydney, to give them something, and have the deal done early October (trade week) as opposed to December (PSD). Get him into the club and into a big pre-season to ensure his fitness. Sedat's suggestion is losing a few spots towards the end of the draft. Not a great cost to snare him down to the club earlier, one could argue.
    I'm all for trading pick 96 but 4th round picks can still be pretty useful.

As long as we win it's all good though