Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory on form slump

I have been thinking about our form slump and come up with the following as a possible reason for it.

I think it has to do with us playing too many injured players.

Last year we coped a lot of injuries, but they were all injuries that FORCED players to miss games. The injuries were so severe, that the players could not play with them.

This year we have players that have had limited pre seasons, and although they may still be injured, they may still be able to play.

Cooney clearly had an interupted pre season, as did Griff. Darcy and Murph are still getting back to full fitness.

So we are carrying at least 4 players who are not 100% fit, or anywhere near that.

Can we afford to continue down this track?
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My theory on form slump

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I have been thinking about our form slump and come up with the following as a possible reason for it.

Last year we coped a lot of injuries, but they were all injuries that FORCED players to miss games. The injuries were so severe, that the players could not play with them.

This year we have players that have had limited pre seasons, and although they may still be injured, they may still be able to play.

Cooney clearly had an interupted pre season, as did Griff. Darcy and Murph are still getting back to full fitness.

So we are carrying at least 4 players who are not 100% fit, or anywhere near that.

Can we afford to continue down this track?
    Excellent observation. Really the introduction of players coming back from long term injuries or pre-season set backs is something that plenty of people called out as one of the risks for the 2007 season. Add Hargrave to that list of returning from an operation and Robbins as having a less than ideal pre-season.

Eade and his selectors make the call on team selection using a varity of considerations. Perhaps they underestimated the impact but I'm not 100% convinced that they did.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the combination of some underdone players, new players, and some others coming in who haven't played much seniors - Wight, Higgins, Addison - has got us a bit unsettled at the moment for sure. We'll build and get better as the season continues, and hopefully peak around finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    I think the combination of some underdone players, new players, and some others coming in who haven't played much seniors - Wight, Higgins, Addison - has got us a bit unsettled at the moment for sure. We'll build and get better as the season continues, and hopefully peak around finals.
    We have to get there in a reasonable position, if you do not finish in the top 4 you make it very hard for yourself, it is very hard to travel interstate in the 2nd and 3rd week of finals and expect a good result..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    and the loss of experience in the backline with Smith retiring and Grant injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We have to get there in a reasonable position, if you do not finish in the top 4 you make it very hard for yourself, it is very hard to travel interstate in the 2nd and 3rd week of finals and expect a good result..
    Recent history would suggest this to be the case. 10 years ago the Crows didn't need to finish top 4 though. You'd like to think by Rd 6 we'd well and truly be up and running. The majority of our last 10 or so games are at TD too, so I think the first part of the season isn't too big a concern. Fremantle stormed home last year, and we were sitting very pretty at the half way mark for a top 4 spot, anything could happen and normally does.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo - IMO this explains at the very least a chunk of it.

Perhaps the strain of this added to no improvement in clearances has been the tipping point.

So Acker39, what is your theory on getting out of this form slump?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Bingo - IMO this explains at the very least a chunk of it.

Perhaps the strain of this added to no improvement in clearances has been the tipping point.

So Acker39, what is your theory on getting out of this form slump?

Well, I don't think it's that easy now. I would have played Darc and Murph at Werribee for a few weeks to get their fitness and form back, but now that they've played 3 AFL games, do you send them back to Werribe, or do you leave them in the AFL in the hope that the first 3 games have helped them and it's only a matter of time that they will turn it around.

I actually think that the 2 players that have been even greater effected are Cooney and Griffin. Cooney's disposal has been disgraceful and Griffin just doesn't seem to have the same spark.

Once again, it's a catch 22 situation as to whether you bite the bullet and send them back to Werribee, or have faith in them and hope that their form returns VERY quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't think it's that easy now. I would have played Darc and Murph at Werribee for a few weeks to get their fitness and form back, but now that they've played 3 AFL games, do you send them back to Werribe, or do you leave them in the AFL in the hope that the first 3 games have helped them and it's only a matter of time that they will turn it around.

I actually think that the 2 players that have been even greater effected are Cooney and Griffin. Cooney's disposal has been disgraceful and Griffin just doesn't seem to have the same spark.

Once again, it's a catch 22 situation as to whether you bite the bullet and send them back to Werribee, or have faith in them and hope that their form returns VERY quickly.
    I thought last week he was much better, he worked much harder when he didn't have the ball, had something like 7 tackles. His work ethic vs Adelaide was disappointing to say the least. If he continues to work like he did last week his form will turn around for the better.

I think generally the work ethic of the entire team needs to increase, we need to make our own luck. Numbers at the contests, hunt in packs, help out you mate, simple slogans that will increase the players output and hopefully result in us winning more contested ball and then we can use or pace and skill going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

With Williams coming in, is that going to add to our under done players.

Post Thanks / Like

Hargrave, Morris, Cooney, Griffen, Darcy, Murphy & Street have all had inturrupted pre-seasons and it certainly shows.

Gia looks like he's been injured too?

Nevertheless it comes back to work rate. They haven't been prepared to work hard enough. The majority of our players were up & about Round 1. How can that so suddenly change?

Whilst it's easy to point the finger at the number of players coming back from injury, which is no doubt a contributing factor, I think the biggest problem has been their workrate. They haven't run as hard, they haven't chased and tackled as much and they haven't work hard as a team to support one another.
    W00F!

Beaza Guest

C'mon, let's not keep propping them up. THEY'RE SOFT. Opposition players know it. With the exception of a few regulars (Johnno, Westy, Cross and Darcy) the rest go in like they're afraid of getting their new Peter Jacksons' dirty. Will Minson has yet to show the fight he had two seasons ago, Matty Robbins is a nice guy, but finished as a senior player, Griff, Coon, Murph and Streeter have excuses and will improve with time but the others are either struggling for form or don't have the ability. Let's start turning over some fringe players and see if we have any youngsters with the ticker to grab a spot(such as Higgins has done).
    No guts No glory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beaza View Post
    C'mon, let's not keep propping them up. THEY'RE SOFT. Opposition players know it. With the exception of a few regulars (Johnno, Westy, Cross and Darcy) the rest go in like they're afraid of getting their new Peter Jacksons' dirty. Will Minson has yet to show the fight he had two seasons ago, Matty Robbins is a nice guy, but finished as a senior player, Griff, Coon, Murph and Streeter have excuses and will improve with time but the others are either struggling for form or don't have the ability. Let's start turning over some fringe players and see if we have any youngsters with the ticker to grab a spot(such as Higgins has done).
    No guts No glory.

That's a fair 1st post... No use holding back...

Post Thanks / Like

With Williams coming in, is that going to add to our under done players.
    It has to but Eade must be confident enough about Williams ability 'to do a job'
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone is pretty confident Tommy Gun will do something out there, if he takes a good contested mark, or a couple, geez, watch out. It will be hysteria in the streets.