Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 19 Men On The Ground

what a poor amauterish effort. lack of concentration

Post Thanks / Like

I understand people aiming squarely at Welsh, but in his defence, he tried to correct the error. My question is, with the myriad of support staff on and around the ground, and one man specifically there to check interchanges, how come no one picked it up before we were killed with the penalty? Yes, Welsh should have known he wasn't supposed to be on, but surely the people on the sides who have time to think of such things should pick up on it?

And while I'm here, the penalty is the most ridiculous, absurd, preposterous over-reaction to a relatively minor issue, which was only highlighted because of one match. It's kind of like, exceeding the speed limit, and getting jailed for 2 years! It killed any chance we may have had tonight. One day, it'll be THE deciding factor in a match. And Demetriou will still say "We're right"... the tosser.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

So it happened at the centre bounce, why was the free taken from 10 metres out, and why didn't their ruckman take the free kick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I understand people aiming squarely at Welsh, but in his defence, he tried to correct the error. My question is, with the myriad of support staff on and around the ground, and one man specifically there to check interchanges, how come no one picked it up before we were killed with the penalty? Yes, Welsh should have known he wasn't supposed to be on, but surely the people on the sides who have time to think of such things should pick up on it?

And while I'm here, the penalty is the most ridiculous, absurd, preposterous over-reaction to a relatively minor issue, which was only highlighted because of one match. It's kind of like, exceeding the speed limit, and getting jailed for 2 years! It killed any chance we may have had tonight. One day, it'll be THE deciding factor in a match. And Demetriou will still say "We're right"... the tosser.
    Do you know what the penalty was 2 years ago? Game over and instant loss.

And the penalty is a 50m penalty, the Saints had the ball in their F50 when it was noticed and piad thus "Saint Nick" had a free shot at goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though we weren't playing fantastic footy, I thought we were half a chance...before that happened. Possibly the biggest deflater I've ever experienced at the footy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    So it happened at the centre bounce, why was the free taken from 10 metres out, and why didn't their ruckman take the free kick?
    Because St. Kilda got the clearance and the ball was at CHF when the emergency umpire called it.

You raise an interesting point. The emergency umpire should have called it as soon as the ball was bounced, like boundary umpires do when someone runs inside the square. A 50m penalty on top of that and Stephen King is kicking from 30 out instead of Riewoldt from the goal line.

We should have shut up about it until St. Kilda had it in our forward pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    We should have shut up about it until St. Kilda had it in our forward pocket.
    What if we kicked a goal with the extra then fessed up. The penalty 0?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    What if we kicked a goal with the extra then fessed up. The penalty 0?
    I think if they do a head count we go back to 0.0

If we got up and won that game you can bet that St. Kilda would have put in an official protest. It just shouldn't happen at AFL level. Cost us any chance we had at winning that game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I think if they do a head count we go back to 0.0

If we got up and won that game you can bet that St. Kilda would have put in an official protest. It just shouldn't happen at AFL level. Cost us any chance we had at winning that game.
    Sydney had 19 on the ground v North last year and scored the point that drew the game. They copped a $25,000 fine.

I'm pretty sure that whole head count rule got scrapped.

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney had 19 on the ground v North last year and scored the point that drew the game. They copped a $25,000 fine.

I'm pretty sure that whole head count rule got scrapped.
    We're not Sydney though

Post Thanks / Like

The head count rule no longer means you have your score wiped.

One of my mates does the match ups board/bench for the saints. He picked it straight away and the saints were moments away from calling for a head count - the message was going out at the time the free kick was called.

It was a monumnetal cock up by our interchange bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Do you know what the penalty was 2 years ago? Game over and instant loss.

And the penalty is a 50m penalty, the Saints had the ball in their F50 when it was noticed and piad thus "Saint Nick" had a free shot at goal.
    I know, I still think it's ridiculous... most often an "extra" man has little impact... give it to the opposing team from the centre, but hand them a goal... crazy..not as crazy as the old penalty!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I've played in a game where the head count was called (by us) - we thought the opposition would lose their whole score - but as it turned out they lost all of their score for that quarter - which was only a point. But losing a whole match score is way to big a penalty - I'm glad it is no longer the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    It was a monumnetal cock up by our interchange bloke.
    It was a monumental cock up by Scott Welsh

Post Thanks / Like

It was a monumental cock up by Scott Welsh
    Welsh too - obviously - but how is it that the saints interchange knew we had 19 on the ground and we didn't. Someone's not doing their job properly.