Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tall Forwards we Chased - where are they now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Almost anyone in our team - we'd have our limits, but Pav at the Dogs would be a dream

I just re-read an earlier post of mine and I mentioned 'Colin Miller' instead of Brad Miller, thanks for being classy guys and not drawing attention to it

The only reason I'm bringing it up is I want your thoughts on Hale, Miller & McGuire as possible targets over the summer.
    Would we have limits for Pav? I reckon that the most valuable asset the Dogs have currently would be Cooney, followed by Griff, and I don't think either of them would be paying over the odds for a Pavlich, who would still have a good 5 years left in him. The only question would be over team harmony and what it would do to the team to rip a player like Coons out of it. If they preferred someone like Higgins + second round draft pick or something similar I (personally) would jump at it, no disrespect to Shaun.

Hale would be a good acquisition, but North would want over the odds for him. Haven't seen enough of McGuire, to be honest, to have an opinion.

Brad's a friend so I won't say anything about him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Would we have limits for Pav? I reckon that the most valuable asset the Dogs have currently would be Cooney, followed by Griff, and I don't think either of them would be paying over the odds for a Pavlich, who would still have a good 5 years left in him. The only question would be over team harmony and what it would do to the team to rip a player like Coons out of it. If they preferred someone like Higgins + second round draft pick or something similar I (personally) would jump at it, no disrespect to Shaun.

Hale would be a good acquisition, but North would want over the odds for him. Haven't seen enough of McGuire, to be honest, to have an opinion.

Brad's a friend so I won't say anything about him.
    I'd involve Griffen in a trade for a Pavlich or someone like Tippett in a heartbeart - mjp pointed out that he doesn't seem suited to a midfield role and I can't add anything to the argument (as usual it was articulated perfectly, this site has informed my limited football knowledge ernomously) and if we resist any temptation to play him off half back where we saw his greatest output then I'd be very comfortable sacrificing Griff for a high quality forward.

I think Higgins might offer more to us than Griff long term, as long as his body holds up. Personally, I think our 3 most important players are Boyd, Lake & Gilbee.

I like Brad Miller as a player, lead up like Murphy yeah sure, but he's very strong and can take a contested grab.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

easybeat Guest

Agree with Pie Man, those three (Boyd, Lake and Gilbee) are untouchable. Possibly Higgins too.
    Would swap anyone else for pav though. hahahah.
    We could win a flag with Pav for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-2722,00.html

Mentions at one point:

Meanwhile, out-of-favour West Coast forward Ashley Hansen, 26, is set to join teammate Mark Seaby in seeking a trade to another club in search of better opportunities to play on a more regular basis.

The 2006 premiership key forward has played 76 of a possible 139 games in his six years at the Eagles, including nine matches this season, but he has not been a member of West Coast's victories in the past two rounds over Essendon and the Bulldogs.
    Does this change any opinions on trading heavily for Pavlich or a similar type, or would we consider a duo of Hall & Hansen with Hall to last 1-2 years, Hansen 3-5 years, and hope our developing talls overtake them in years to come?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hansen 3-5 years, and hope our developing talls overtake them in years to come?
    I reckon Bobby plays the same role as Hansen does & is less injury prone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I reckon Bobby plays the same role as Hansen does.
    Agreed. Bobby is far more effective in the role, not to mention has more dimensions to his game as well. For a player so strongly built, Hansen is quite a timid key forward. None of that is to mention the fact that he hasn't played a decent game for 3 years, and the fact that he openly slagged the idea of coming to the Dogs a couple of years ago when we made enquiries. File under 'crap tall'.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentions at one point:

Does this change any opinions on trading heavily for Pavlich or a similar type, or would we consider a duo of Hall & Hansen with Hall to last 1-2 years, Hansen 3-5 years, and hope our developing talls overtake them in years to come?
    I prefer this option. Having Hansen in the team wouldn't dilute Murphy's influence, just allow him to play the way he should be(not as a makeshift KP).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I prefer this option. Having Hansen in the team wouldn't dilute Murphy's influence, just allow him to play the way he should be(not as a makeshift KP).
    It's Hansen or a blooding a pup. Rotate Grant, Roughy and Ayce through the match spot and wait for one of them to take the opportiunity by the throat. Hansen would be Bartlett, Jackovich, Cook, Bandy, Rawlings etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc - all over agin. Surely we need to learn the lesson sometime? Our long term development and success wont come thorugh Hansen, Hall maybe for 2 years, but not Hansen.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's Hansen or a blooding a pup. Rotate Grant, Roughy and Ayce through the match spot and wait for one of them to take the opportiunity by the throat. Hansen would be Bartlett, Jackovich, Cook, Bandy, Rawlings etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc - all over agin. Surely we need to learn the lesson sometime? Our long term development and success wont come thorugh Hansen, Hall maybe for 2 years, but not Hansen.
    All we a better chance to win the flag next year by blooding the pups in the key positions next year?

Hansen held down the CHF position in a premiership winning team and has performed well in numerous finals. He has better credentials then those other players that you have mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    All we a better chance to win the flag next year by blooding the pups in the key positions next year?

Hansen held down the CHF position in a premiership winning team and has performed well in numerous finals. He has better credentials then those other players that you have mentioned.
    Peter Hudson was a great tall forward too. Means jack what the past held for them. If fact, i'd rather have Peter Hudson over Ash Hansen. Hudson really proved himself, Hansen was great with Judd, Cousins and Kerr feeding him, and now fat WAFL players like McKinley are keeping him out of the siede when he's not injured. The 'better credinatials' line is what got Rawlings here, big marks, bags of goals... We would be pissing away a second rounder.

But you obviously have seen more of him and i respect where you are coming from, whilst not agreeing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Peter Hudson was a great tall forward too. Means jack what the past held for them. If fact, i'd rather have Peter Hudson over Ash Hansen. Hudson really proved himself, Hansen was great with Judd, Cousins and Kerr feeding him, and now fat WAFL players like McKinley are keeping him out of the siede when he's not injured. The 'better credinatials' line is what got Rawlings here, big marks, bags of goals... We would be pissing away a second rounder.

But you obviously have seen more of him and i respect where you are coming from, whilst not agreeing.
    The way I see it it's either Kennedy or Hansen in the WCE team. I don't think both can fit into a teams structure as they play the same position. Hansen actually started this year like a house on fire(close to BOG against Brisbane first round) but really started to struggle when WCE played badly.

If he was great when Judd, Kerr and Cousins were supplying him then how do you think he will go with Cooney, Higgins, Boyds, Ward, Griffen and co supplying him?

I have been a Hansen fan since he first started so my judgement may be a little clouded.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do it - at the right (read low) price
    Couldn't hurt - and while he's similar to Murph, he could play on the other flank/pinch hit up back where required
    Wouldn't trade Hill for him, and they wouldn't take Skipper - PSD
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

3rd or 4th round for Hansen would be OK depending on his salary

Post Thanks / Like

Mentions at one point:

Meanwhile, out-of-favour West Coast forward Ashley Hansen, 26, is set to join teammate Mark Seaby in seeking a trade to another club in search of better opportunities to play on a more regular basis.

The 2006 premiership key forward has played 76 of a possible 139 games in his six years at the Eagles, including nine matches this season, but he has not been a member of West Coast's victories in the past two rounds over Essendon and the Bulldogs.
    From memory, Hansen was coming out of contract last year and signed another deal which probably means he is being reasonably well paid. With our well documented salary cap issues, I wonder if that would price him out of a trade to us. If he didn't want to come 12 months ago what would have changed for him to want to come now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If he didn't want to come 12 months ago what would have changed for him to want to come now?
    Kennedy would be my guess. The kid looks very, very good.