Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Eade calls for abolition of priority pick

Eade calls for abolition of priority pick

By Jennifer Witham 3:03 PM Tue 04 August, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has weighed into the tanking debate, calling on the League to abolish the priority pick.

Eade said the League should shelve the priority selection for clubs that have struggled for consecutive years, to eliminate the perception lowly-ranked teams don't try to win games towards the end of the year.

However, he rejected calls for the draft to feature an NBA-style lottery citing the Bulldogs' finish in 2007, where they finished fourth with nine and a half wins as evidence that they didn't deserve first pick in the draft.

"I think there would have to be some sort of qualification if you're going to go the lottery system," Eade said concerned that the lottery may continue tanking speculation.

"If it is the bottom four and you're fifth last, then do you tank to finish fourth last with a chance of getting first pick?

"I think if you finish last, you get the first pick and that's it. Take the priority away."

Rest of article

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade calls for abolition of priority pick

Couldn't agree more.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that hard, is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    It is if your a CEO who assertively suggest there is no problem. Seriously though, is AD the only person in and around AFL that thinks or argues there is no problem. The graphic on 'On the Couch' with all the mis-matchups from the dees was almost 'proof absolute' that tanking is live and well in our game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Remember who you dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It is if your a CEO who assertively suggest there is no problem. Seriously though, is AD the only person in and around AFL that thinks or argues there is no problem. The graphic on 'On the Couch' with all the mis-matchups from the dees was almost 'proof absolute' that tanking is live and well in our game.
    KB.

I'm sure I saw AD's hand fair up KB's arse and making his lips move.

If KB is going to kiss AD's arse every time he opens his mouth his credibility is zero. I know he likes his rules committee job and AD is his boss, but FFS...

Post Thanks / Like

KB.

I'm sure I saw AD's hand fair up KB's arse and making his lips move.

If KB is going to kiss AD's arse every time he opens his mouth his credibility is zero. I know he likes his rules committee job and AD is his boss, but FFS...
    I know, I can't stand KB. But spinelessness is creeping in, especially with AD on this issue. Last year i couldn't stand the arrogance of Grant Thomas but i've come to acquire his comments as independent thought and offering criticism if its warranted - something other commentators seemingly wont do as a generalisation. Such as when Sheehan was putting the acid on AD on 3AW two weeks ago and ALL the other commentators kept their mouths firmly shut. What ever happened to having your beliefs and standing by comments. Is AD really that scary?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I know, I can't stand KB. But spinelessness is creeping in, especially with AD on this issue. Last year i couldn't stand the arrogance of Grant Thomas but i've come to acquire his comments as independent thought and offering criticism if its warranted - something other commentators seemingly wont do as a generalisation. Such as when Sheehan was putting the acid on AD on 3AW two weeks ago and ALL the other commentators kept their mouths firmly shut. What ever happened to having your beliefs and standing by comments. Is AD really that scary?
    Thomas has turned into the best footy commentator on TV, but look what happened to his radio career when he critised AD.

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas has turned into the best footy commentator on TV, but look what happened to his radio career when he critised AD.
    A very Stalin-esq / Mao-esq move by the AFL to make noises that ended his radio career. But i'm glad Archer turned out to be no good because the 8 minutes Thomas speaks on footy classified is the best 8 minutes of commentary for the week by any journo or commentator.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone think West Coast are tanking now?

Glad we play them this week

If there was a time to tank, it would have been this season or last season, prior to the GC17 and WS18

Post Thanks / Like

this has to happen as the scrutiny is just out of control. Agree about Thomas although that was childish to say ''diddums'' re. fixture change r22. Surely it's fair to allow top 4 sides at least a 6 day break for the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

funny how no one from here was calling for it to be scrapped when we got the priority picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    funny how no one from here was calling for it to be scrapped when we got the priority picks.
    It wasn't as apparent that sides were deliberately losing then as it is now.

Also, there is so much more incentive to tank now with upcoming compromised drafts.

Its now become a blight on the game!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    It wasn't as apparent that sides were deliberately losing then as it is now.

Also, there is so much more incentive to tank now with upcoming compromised drafts.

Its now become a blight on the game!
    So other clubs did it in a less deliberate way in the past? I can recall Malthouse wrapping up some players in cotton wool before the season had finished. Got Pendles & Thomas out of it.
    Agree there is more incentive now however I still think it should be retained but not in its current format. A team that has finished on the bottom of the ladder over a 3 year period would have fair grounds for a priority. The only problem I see is if we put "x" amount of games against it, we will be back to square one where clubs will be doing everything in that 3rd year to lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    So other clubs did it in a less deliberate way in the past?
    Also, the level of scrutiny wasn't as great as it is today.