Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smorgo? Our future in Melbourne?

I was listening to Smorgo last night and he was a little evasive about whether he will recommit to the Doggies as President again. Do we have a ready made replacement for him?
    Is he likely to be replaced by someone as good?

One other thing, with the Roos being touted as likely to move up to the Gold Coast and get both salary cap and draft concessions will this like move the focus back onto us as I'm sure the AFL would like a team to eventually relocate to the Sydney market?
    I think we are a lot stronger and more vibrant than we ever have been but are we in a position to keep increasing our sponsorship and membership so that we can start making solid operating profits?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smorgo? Our future in Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by Thats Golden! View Post
    I was listening to Smorgo last night and he was a little evasive about whether he will recommit to the Doggies as President again. Do we have a ready made replacement for him?
    Is he likely to be replaced by someone as good?
    A few weeks back Smorgo was on 3AW and he did say that he will see at the end of the season whether he will stay on or not but made it clear to the fans that the reins will be handed over to the correct person whoever that may be. Hopefully, he decides to stay on.

Post Thanks / Like

While he remains passionate, which he still very much is and has the time to contribute. I hope he stays on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think the health of his wife Roz will play a major part in his decision & I would love to see him go on, but just get the feeling this season will be his last.

Of the current board who is the heir apparent?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I think the health of his wife Roz will play a major part in his decision & I would love to see him go on, but just get the feeling this season will be his last.

Of the current board who is the heir apparent?
    Alberti?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    Alberti?
    What's the current state of Sue's health? She's had her own battles.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling that he will leave us. As for staying in Melbourne we keep getting stronger and stronger and with Cam at the helm I can't see this stopping any time soon. He has done wonders and the redevelopment of the WO will certainly help.

Post Thanks / Like

With both Smorgo and Cam at the helm, they have steered our ship well, and I hope both are around to guide our continued off field improvement.
    If Smorgo decides he has other more pressing commitments then I trust that he will ensure that the person who steps into the role will be one who bleeds as much red white and blue as he does.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard Smorgo before the game on Friday night and he said our future is in Melbourne and with reoccuring income from the Whitten redevelopment, plus increase in membership, the finances can only get better.

Post Thanks / Like

I worry that when (not if) North get shunted off to the Gold Coast there will be 7 non-Victorian teams and 9 Victorian teams.

I can see the AFL will want symetry and will start taking steps to make it 8 & 8. It would make TV shceduling and the draw more even.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I worry that when (not if) North get shunted off to the Gold Coast there will be 7 non-Victorian teams and 9 Victorian teams.

I can see the AFL will want symetry and will start taking steps to make it 8 & 8. It would make TV shceduling and the draw more even.

That's easily fixed

Send the Hawks to Tassie
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

I've worried about that ever since you mentioned it to me. Are Melbourne worse off than we are atm? If we keep on improving off-field (and on?) then I think we are reasonably safe for at least the short-to-mid term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    I've worried about that ever since you mentioned it to me. Are Melbourne worse off than we are atm? If we keep on improving off-field (and on?) then I think we are reasonably safe for at least the short-to-mid term.
    My understanding is that Melbourne will never be in any danger as a club. The AFL will not want to lose that name in the Victorian market.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My understanding is that Melbourne will never be in any danger as a club. The AFL will not want to lose that name in the Victorian market.
    Makes sense (perhaps unfortunately - don't want to see any club have to move but obviously would prefer it to be another if it's going to happen).

Post Thanks / Like

Send the Dees interstate and promote Melbourne Victory to the AFL.

Problem solved.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.