Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall tells suitors he's ready

Former Sydney Swans star Barry Hall tells suitors he's ready to play
    By Stephen Rielly
    August 22, 2009 .

Australian football, it seems, will see former Sydney Swans and St Kilda full-forward Barry Hall again - next year.

It is understood at least three Melbourne-based clubs have contacted Hall to be told he is keen to resume playing in 2010.

While Hall has not made his intentions public since parting with the Swans in early July, nor indicated to the Swans that he wants to return to the game, the interest from his Victorian enquirers has been enthusiastically reciprocated.

With thoughts of Hall continuing apparently being harboured by several clubs - players of proven quality, even troubled ones who can be purchased at next-to-no cost are always attractive - it remains to be seen how many will be seriously talking to the Swans during the October trade period.

Hall may be cheap to recruit but he could be far more expensive to remunerate. It is believed he will want more than $300,000 next year.

The capacity of Western Bulldogs, for instance, to accommodate that sort of figure in their salary cap appears to be in question, with the Dogs either unable or unwilling to accept a recent request from Brian Lake for a new three-year contract at $350,000 per season.

The fact that Lake, the Dogs' best key defender, remains unsigned as the club heads into a finals campaign is more than intriguing to many in the competition, not least Hawthorn and St Kilda.

The Dogs were keen to recruit Hall at the end of last season as a solution to their long-standing problem of lack of a power forward and they remain interested, despite the events of this year which saw Hall walk away from the game.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said the Swans would honour their pledge to assist Hall starting over in the AFL, if that was what he wanted to do.

A fifth- or sixth-round draft pick could be enough to see Hall move to a third club, in the way that Steven King left Geelong for St Kilda almost two years ago, although with competition Sydney's return could marginally improve.

Roos said he was unaware of Hall's intentions but that assistant coach John Longmire had spoken to him on Thursday. Roos said he was expecting to share a meal with Hall this week.

"I don't know what approach we take, although we've certainly said that we would be supportive of whatever he chose to do and if that was play for another club, then we'd try to get him to that club," Roos said.

"The ball is in his court. We'll work with him if he does want to play again and try to get him to the club he wants to go to."

When Hall retired in July at the age of 32 after receiving yet another suspension, he said he did not know what the future held.

His appreciation and talent for boxing inevitably led to speculation about a career in the ring, which was heightened by his admission that he no longer trusted himself on the football field.

"The next step for me is unclear, but in time, I will work through it," said Hall, his uncertainty echoing doubts earlier expressed by Roos and Sydney captain Brett Kirk, who both publicly wondered about whether the three-time All-Australian and 2005 premiership captain wanted to play any longer.

Hall had kicked 31 goals in 11 games at that stage of the season - for a career total of 611 from 250 matches - which was clearly enough to pique the recent interest that he is now fielding.

While the calls he has been taking have been largely confined to establishing his interest in playing again, it is believed that Hall wants to be traded, rather than drafted, if possible. A trade can be completed by mid-October, which would allow Hall to acquaint himself with his new club and begin training at the start of the pre-season.

The national draft, on the other hand, is not held until late November and the pre-season draft, in which Ben Cousins was selected by Richmond last year, is not conducted until mid-December.

Moreover, clubs with an interest in a late pick-up can have their ability to participate in the pre-season draft taken from them by the AFL if their player payments are deemed to be too close to the salary cap.

From http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018851,00.html
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hall tells suitors he's ready

Where on Earth did they pull this from???

with the Dogs either unable or unwilling to accept a recent request from Brian Lake for a new three-year contract at $350,000 per season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Where on Earth did they pull this from???
    We've already offered him way more than that and been turned down.

Post Thanks / Like

When i saw that i knew this entire article was a load of rubbish.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone think that the dogs will offer Lake more money if we win the premiership because they won't bother with getting Hall and if we don't then its less for Lake to get Hall.

Post Thanks / Like

That article reads like a classic caroline Wilson piece

Post Thanks / Like

Three Vic clubs after him. Who?

DOGS
    Carlton?
    Geelong?

Who else may want a tall forward to possible win a flag next year?

Post Thanks / Like

pies?

Post Thanks / Like

St.Albans?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    St.Albans?
    If thats the case i will only have to take a walk to see him.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody think this is a beat up engineered by Hall's manager because there has been little real interest in him?
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

micka bulldog Guest

i think it would be the biggest mistake we could make!!!!

why gamble on a unstable f/f and loss a back men that has dun the hard yards at a lower wage.

i hope we find a better fit!!!!