Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry Hall - Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Back-ending Brian's contract seems the only way, especially if Aker re-signs. Hall's two year deal may be weighted towards the second year to facilitate Aker's year.
    By then he should be vet's list shouldn't he - If so, makes a heap of sense.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    By then he should be vet's list shouldn't he - If so, makes a heap of sense.
    I believe you need to be at the one club for ten years to be vet listed.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DexterT View Post
    All they have to do is move Roughead to the backline to replace Croad.
    Roughead doesn't want to play in the backline and will be out of contract in 2 months time. If he hears Barry is coming he will be going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Yep, which Lake qualifies for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    EDIT... answered while i posted.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep, which Lake qualifies for
    Thank TD,

Do you know which year he would qualify for the vets?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Thank TD,

Do you know which year he would qualify for the vets?
    2011. He was drafted in 2001.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    2011. He was drafted in 2001.
    So does that mean 3 years (of say a 4 year deal) he will be vet's listed? If so, that's not too big a problem considering it's only accomodating Johnson at the moment. Perhaps that's his/Ricky O's reasoning for holding out a little, if half won't be counted towards the cap for most of his contract, especially if back ended?

Next year, Lake could be paid bugger all and Aker signed up to a decent rate, Aker retires after next year, and from 2011 Lake get's some back ended love... EDIT: that doesn't sound right does it? - And only half goes towads the cap.

Then Johno retires and free's up the vet's for some others, Welsh, Eagle, Hahn and Hall all gone. Lots of cash to keep our current pups. Does that make sense, or am i being simplistic?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 26-08-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling and question

Post Thanks / Like

Let Barry go to Hawthorn, wouldnt be long before he smacked Buddies head off at training with Buddies lazy attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, he must be eligible in 2012.

Next year Murphy, Gia, Hahn, Gilbee and Hargrave will be eligible.
    In 2011 Cross and Skipper() will be eligible.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Pelchen is a Pelican
    Bit harsh on Pelicans.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone see this article?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018851,00.html

Barry Hall's radio comments cloud issue on hopes to play on in 2010
    By Jon Ralph
    August 28, 2009

Barry Hall laid himself bare on Sydney breakfast radio this week, and the consequences should have potential suitors nervous.

Hall continues to attract interest from clubs - headed by Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn - and has indicated he is desperate to play on.

But if the former Sydney Swans captain was looking to break his silence and simultaneously repair his image in an Andrew Denton-type confessional, he was sadly off track.

Among his zingers on Triple M this week were several comments sure to have Rodney Eade and company shaking their heads. Hall said:

He didn't actually like football, joking he couldn't watch a full game without a beer in hand.

"I haven't really missed the game at all, which is a bit concerning," he said.

"But I think I still have the desire to play still."

He was still filthy on coach Paul Roos and spiritual leader Brett Kirk for daring to condemn his behaviour.

Roos had questioned whether Hall wanted to play again, while Kirk said he could no longer trust him on the playing field.

"I guess through the year there was stuff said even from the coach in terms of my actions but I didn't really agree with them.

"I thought they should have been handled differently. I had to tell them that and move on, which I did. Whether they appreciated it or not was another thing but I have got it off my chest."

His assessment of Sydney, now playing exceptional football without him was that they were "battling".

Way to go out with style, Barry.

He had secretly owned several drag cars while at Sydney and had driven them without the club's knowledge.

"It was all hush hush when I was playing footy," he joked.

It wouldn't have been hush hush if you wrote one off against a concrete wall, Baz.

That two months out from any potential pre-season with a new club he had gone skiing for a week with his new partner.

Lucky for his football career it was her that ended up injured, not him.

Hall has been up-front about his anger issues ever since his last incident with Adelaide's Ben Rutten.

But there is being honest, and there is revealing so much information that you become damaged goods.

The Dogs want Hall, but only if they fail in the finals, get him at the right price, and find him in the right head space.

The Hawks have thrown their hands up, but in recent weeks there is not one player in the market they have not expressed interest in obtaining.

Their scatter-gun approach might yet be successful, but he is far from their No.1 priority.

The context of the interview was a raucous 20-minute chat across a range of topics, but Hall should know everything he does as a potential recruit will be judged.

Hall may well be a rare talent, but he would be advised to keep his mouth shut, toe the party line, and desist from any mention of skiing, drag racing or a rift with Sydney. Otherwise, his AFL career is over.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Pure spin, getting into neutral issues like this keeps the media off your back if you had as bad a season as Hawthorn and wanted to deflect attention from it.

On the other hand Hawks supporters who know the Hawthorn list better might be further encouraged to think that the club is in free fall and no idea how to stop the descent.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Let Barry go to Hawthorn, wouldnt be long before he smacked Buddies head off at training with Buddies lazy attitude.
    I would love Franklin and his lazy attitude at our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Roughead doesn't want to play in the backline and will be out of contract in 2 months time. If he hears Barry is coming he will be going.
    Gold Coast will look pretty attractive to him, if he is prepared to give up a year at the top level.