Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anzac Day game

Post Thanks / Like

Anzac Day game

What's it like to go to one?

Atmosphere looks huge - I'd love to go to one some day.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anzac Day game

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What's it like to go to one?

Atmosphere looks huge - I'd love to go to one some day.
    I have been to 3 grand finals and a couple of anzac day games and I have to say the anzac day game has a much better atmosphere. Grand final is mostly neutrals so you dont get the same volume of noise. Enjoyed the anzac games more myself. Amazing when 95,000 people stay quiet for an entire minute.

Post Thanks / Like

Very enjoyable so far. Skills may not be flash, but the intensity is great. Good Pies fight back.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Only watched the last quarter but I thought both teams looked ordinary - if we cant beat both of them when we are up and running I will be disappointed

Post Thanks / Like

I had a brain fade - tipped the bombers to win by 60 points - what was I thinking - for the first 15 minutes I was a genius and then it wore off
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Both teams pretty well drilled and both teams coaches always have a trademark style. Bombers always pretty efficient inside 50 and might not get alot of the ball but are just clinical with their finishing. Pies always get numbers around the pack and are very good at taking the ball away from traffic. Pies dont play what alot of people would say is entertaining but I enjoy watching what Malthouse can extract from them. Makes some pretty ordinary players look good. Malthouse sides always do old fashioned footy things well.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood were easily the better side on the day. Their backline were just to good for the Bomber forward line. The final score flattered the Bombers as the Pies missed so many easy shots.
    Mal Michael is finished, so slow and way too defensive these days. James Hird might be too.
    Not sure what Kepler Bradley is.
    I really don't know how the Bombers have won 3 games so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Collingwood were easily the better side on the day. Their backline were just to good for the Bomber forward line. The final score flattered the Bombers as the Pies missed so many easy shots.
    Mal Michael is finished, so slow and way too defensive these days. James Hird might be too.
    Not sure what Kepler Bradley is.
    I really don't know how the Bombers have won 3 games so far.
    I would hardly call the Pies defensive talls as great players but they stuck to their task brilliantly and shut down the strong Bombers forwards.
    I hope Eade can duplicate how Malthouse shut them down when we play them.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the look of young Davey early on for the Bombers. Dale Thomas and Pendlebury are going to be excellent young players for the Pies - Cox, Dick and Toovey all look reasonably good too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we could beat either side because we have a better midfield that both.
    I don't think either side has a quality ruck as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I don't think either side has a quality ruck as well.
    Do we?

I don't think Scott Burns has been playing too badly in the midfield for the Pies - although he is a bit older and slower now. I still think the Dons are a bit weak and slow in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    Do we?
    Street and Minson beat Fraser in the final last season. Darcy and Minson are a better combination. Thought Fraser beat Laycock yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    I don't think Scott Burns has been playing too badly in the midfield for the Pies - although he is a bit older and slower now. I still think the Dons are a bit weak and slow in that area.
    Burns will always be a good player but only 1 player. Overall our depth here is a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think these staged blockbusters are what kills off or restricts or makes it hard for the smaller clubs such as the Kangaroos, Doggies etc to grow. For example, the focus on the two teams in the ANZAC day clash as well as the exposure on TV and other media, helps them to get bigger and stronger. The kids all want to get on board and be a part of it. It would be interesting to see since the start of the ANZAC day clash in 1995 how many extra people have switched to these clubs, and believe me the kids all want to be in red and black or black and white.

The arguement presented by the AFL is that these teams attract big crowds, yes thats true but its just going to get bigger and bigger and those clubs will be heading for 50 to 60,000 members in no time. We are struggling to get to 30,000 members and these block busters don't help one bit.
    Every year the draw is rigged so that Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond play each other twice, which leaves other Victorian clubs to play more interstate teams.

Sorry, ANZAC day clash I loathe it every year, its just another game that promotes 2 clubs nothing more. Ditto Queens birthday and other STAGED blockbusters.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree Bornadog

Post Thanks / Like

I read a suggestion in the Advertiser last week that said the ANZAC game should be the re-match of last years grand finalists. I think this has some merit, especially given that a lot of teams don't get much opportunity to play on the MCG these days, especially interstate clubs. It would certainly make the game a higher standard too.