Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Lake:Couple decide to induce birth so star can play

Lake won't be missing any finals...

Couple decide to induce birth so star can play
    The Herald Sun | Mark Stevens | September 01, 2009

DOCTORS will on Wednesday induce the birth of Western Bulldog Brian Lake's girl, ensuring the star full-back will be available for the finals. Lake said he was looking forward to confronting Geelong at the MCG on Saturday and then welcoming the latest addition to his family home for Father's Day.

"I'm excited, but there's a bit of nerves as well," he said.

Lake's fiancee, Shannon O'Malley, was due to give birth on September 16, but after consultation with doctors the pair agreed to bring the birth at Freemason's Hospital forward.

"We had a baby boy Cohen born in 2007 two weeks premature, which didn't worry us because it was around Christmas time," Lake said.

"But with finals, and wanting to have Shannon's and my parents over, we thought it was a lot easier to do it a couple of weeks early and the doctor said it was fine.

"Obviously the idea was to do it mid-week because with footy finals I didn't want to be worried about it around Saturday or Sunday."

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brian Lake:Couple decide to induce birth so star can play

Had a good chuckle reading this in the paper.

Good work Brian's missus.

Post Thanks / Like

We really don't appreciate what levels some partners will go to to ensure their man can play AFL footy three cheers for this wag in particular
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Taking it for the team...

Good girl, is that maybe a sign he will stay with the doggies???

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly is a big call and obviously his partner supports him 110%! Let's say thanks to this particular wag

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if Bryza's been sharpening his delivery skills this week?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone hear Rita on SEN today giving Lake an absolute bake for his decision?

Post Thanks / Like

Listened to SEN for a few minutes at lunch and Rita was appalled this could happen, citing the dangers in inducing a child premature. A few people rang up saying they had done the same thing when the expectant mother's regular gynaecologist was going on holiday - I would strongly doubt this would be considered if not completely safe.

What do all the women out there think of this one?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Brian Lake:Couple decide to induce birth so star can play

My First baby was born 8 days late and second one 10 day early - the second one came out brigher and more alert than the first. And they were the same weight. They would not do this if there was a danger to the baby. In reality it is done more frequently than people realise. IMO it will be a more relaxed and enjoyable delivery for all involved. Relaxed parents usually equate to a relaxed baby.

Lake can enjoy the delivery of his new baby girl and then enjoy his finals footy. Three cheers to Shannon and both extended families for giving him 110% support.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Brian and Shannon... I'm sure the experts know what they are doing in inducing the birth... now let's all pray that Smorgo and Co. can induce the signing of Bryza's next contract!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon it's a great decision. We can start some basic ball skills as soon as he leaves the womb!

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard on the news, Brian and Shannon had a little girl..so, no father-son selection in 2026!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Brian Lake and his partner.

I planned my daughter's birth around the football. As soon as I got the footy draw I worked out my daughter's birth date as I knew I was having a caesarian anyway. Had my daughter on a Thursday, the Bulldogs played interstate on the Saturday night so watched that in hospital and then was at the footy on the next Friday night with my 8 day old daughter who has only missed 1 game since in her 8 years.

Football (more importantly the Western Bulldogs) mean everything to my family and if you can arrange your life around what you love then go for it I say!