Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Umpiring Whinge Thread - Say it and feel better

I'm pretty sure that the goal umpire paid it a point as soon as Franklin went over the line. Field umpire didn't see it though.

The rules are terrible and the problem with the umpires. For once I actually agree with my dad when he said 'There are no rules, just interpretations.' The rules are so vague that it's impossible to have consistency on the issue.

Oh and my thoughts on the most ridiculous decision. Franklin given a free kick against Shaggy when they were grappling with each other about 35-40m out in the 3rd qtr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the goal umpire paid it a point as soon as Franklin went over the line. Field umpire didn't see it though.

It was pretty farcical there for a moment. The field umpire was waving play on and the goal umpire was almost on the point of the goal square(ie ten metres from the goalline) thumping his chest to let the field umpire know that that the ball had crossed the line.

The rules are terrible and the problem with the umpires. For once I actually agree with my dad when he said 'There are no rules, just interpretations.' The rules are so vague that it's impossible to have consistency on the issue.

I dont see the rules as problem in themselves-for instance the 'hands in the back' interpretation is fairly straight forward. I reckon that the problem is with the umpiring department itself. Under Geishcan it's lurched from one crisis to another, reacting to every little criticism with a hysterical overreaction. Thats where we need to start fixing things and it all starts wih Geischan.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was pretty farcical there for a moment. The field umpire was waving play on and the goal umpire was almost on the point of the goal square(ie ten metres from the goalline) thumping his chest to let the field umpire know that that the ball had crossed the line.

I dont see the rules as problem in themselves-for instance the 'hands in the back' interpretation is fairly straight forward. I reckon that the problem is with the umpiring department itself. Under Geishcan it's lurched from one crisis to another, reacting to every little criticism with a hysterical overreaction. Thats where we need to start fixing things and it all starts wih Geischan.
    Yup, couldn't agree more. The players, clubs, and fans all deserve better than the trash they've been serving up.

Post Thanks / Like

Similar free kick count yesterday to the Tigers vs Eagles game.

We didn't spent the next 250 threads whining about it. Is it because we won,

OR

are we just the most awesome supporters of any team on the planet that has ever existed ever, and the Tigers are a bunch of whinging ferals who should concentrate on calling talkback shows to ensure all the conspiricy theories on how the CIA is keeping Richmond down are given a mainstream medium upon which to gain traction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wally G View Post
    The holding the ball interpretations are beyond belief. Terribly inconsistent. There were a couple of decisions today when players were pinged when they were sat on, had no prior opportunity and had not dived on the pill. Yet players (from both sides) when tackled often make no real attempt, drop the ball or basically throw it and umps call play on.
    Welcome aboard WallyG. I agree that the holding the ball decisions are not consistent and seem to change from week to week. Not sure if the umpires get a gee up from the umpires coaching panel or not, but it does change a fair bit.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree that the holding the ball decisions are not consistent and seem to change from week to week. Not sure if the umpires get a gee up from the umpires coaching panel or not, but it does change a fair bit.
    On Fox Sport the Couch (Tonight) they spoke about the holding the ball and the inconsistency and showed a couple that Shaggy was pinged for, both were not frees (according to the panel) but paid against him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teds Robot View Post
    Umpiring was disgraceful, especially Matty Robbins mark not being paid, compared to Batemans that was. I will have to watch the replay because half of the free kicks I did not even know what they were for? Very lopsided tally count.
    And why does a guy who gets the ball, is then swamped by players, pinged for holding the ball, I thought they had to have prior opportunity?
    Bloody umps ruin the game.
    I'm still undecided on the Robbins mark. Have you watched it again?

As for the holding the ball and prior opportunity it is beyond a joke at the moment. I sit there and laugh at some of the decisions as you are just left baffled at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    As for the holding the ball and prior opportunity it is beyond a joke at the moment. I sit there and laugh at some of the decisions as you are just left baffled at times.
    I think those decisions absolutely baffle the umpires aswell, so what hope is there to get it right, in the meantime?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't know why but I just don't concern myself with the umpiring that much anymore. I don't like some of the new rules all that much and think the game has become too complex for effective umpiring.

Some of the decisions today were perplexing but we got both the good and bad of it.
    This is even more relevant today as it was 12 years ago. AFL bringing in more rules, or changing rules they already changed back to the original, just to make the umpires job harder.

My Beef is, how about awarding free kicks for the basics like incorrect disposal, or holding the man when he doesn't have the ball. Naughton and Schache being held so many times in the contest.

Whinge away, we haven't done it for awhile.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to worry too much about Umpiring mistakes - I think for the most part they're trying their best and don't want to influence the game - with the exception of Chamberlain, who is a pox on the game and I hate the quasi celebrity status this jumped up peacock has had bestowed on him.

oh, and since we're talking poxes on the game, the most heinous rule change ever is contact below the knees. Nuke it from orbit.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a holding the ball against Maclean in 3rd quarter which was truly appalling. And Bonts mark not paid. And Gowers paid one when he clearly did not touch it first. And stupid below knee rule decisions against both sides when offender was first in and clearly going for ball. There was also a high paid against Wood and Daniel which was not there I think in 4th when swans player moved their head sideways and it looked like possibly high. Agree Naughton was held a fair bit. Also agree umpiring did not make difference in result in this game.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the umpiring was pretty good. Some decisions were a bit crap but you can see what it looks like from their point of view. The only real bad error was the Bont out of bounds mark.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was disgusting when the umpire paid a mark, 20m in front of goal, when the man in front clearly got all the ball. If that goal wasn’t gifted wrongly, in the comeback the team might’ve hit the front and run away with it. Pretty disgusting.

So I said it. Oh, that horrific call went our way? I do feel better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate this thread

Post Thanks / Like

During the presser Bevo had a go at the umpires, using silence for effect.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes bornadog liked this post