Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Umpiring Whinge Thread - Say it and feel better

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    There was a holding the ball against Maclean in 3rd quarter which was truly appalling. And Bonts mark not paid. And Gowers paid one when he clearly did not touch it first. And stupid below knee rule decisions against both sides when offender was first in and clearly going for ball. There was also a high paid against Wood and Daniel which was not there I think in 4th when swans player moved their head sideways and it looked like possibly high. Agree Naughton was held a fair bit. Also agree umpiring did not make difference in result in this game.
    There were a couple against Maclean where he had no time to dispose and was pinged. Later he was grabbed around the neck and got the free and on replay Brayshaw called saying "he gets a lot of those". Hope Maclean hasnt been typecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks still whinging

An unhappy team: Hawthorn seek answers on umpiring calls

Hawthorn have sought clarification of three umpiring decisions that either led to Western Bulldogs’ goals or saw the Hawks lose a shot on goal in the final quarter of their defeat on Sunday.

The Hawks contacted the AFL on Monday to clarify the reasoning behind free kicks paid against Jaegar O’Meara, James Worpel and James Sicily.

Upon review, the AFL found that the free against Worpel should not have been paid, but the frees against O’Meara and Sicily were correct. This was yet to be communicated to Hawthorn by deadline time.

The free against Worpel was for a centre square infringement, leading to a goal to Jackson Macrae that levelled the scores with several minutes left. At the subsequent centre bounce, a free was paid against Sicily for off the ball contact against Josh Schache, who converted his fourth goal, putting the Dogs ahead for the first time late in the game.

The Hawks also queried the decision against O’Meara that saw Jarryd Roughead lose a shot on goal in the last quarter, when O’Meara made contact with Macrae twice. The AFL’s view was this was prohibited contact in the form of striking.

The AFL’s umpiring review deemed that Sicily made contact with Schache with a clenched fist.
    The Bulldogs booted the last eight goals of the match to overrun the Hawks. While the club sought to clarify these decisions, Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson refused to blame umpiring for his team’s capitulation and pointed instead to the Dogs’ overall dominance across the majority of the game.

Hawthorn had led by 30 points as late as the seven-minute mark of the last quarter. However, they were afflicted with second-half hamstring injuries to Liam Shiels and Shaun Burgoyne that deprived them of both rotations and midfield capability against a Dogs’ team strengthened by the return of Tom Liberatore.

The Bulldogs controlled the second quarter in play, with the inside 50m count at 41-15 at half-time – a territorial dominance that was not reflected in the scores (the Dogs led by less than a goal).
    Clarkson said the Bulldogs were clearly the better side on the day and that they were fortunate to be as close as they were at half-time.

The Hawks are yet to confirm the extent of the hamstring injuries to Shiels and Burgoyne, but they are certain to miss games, further eroding a midfield that is without Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell.

Link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Scoreboard... scoreboard... scoreboard... scoreboard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Twodogs, I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They're right to seek clarification...…..I can assure you the umpires won't be as strict on any of the issues paid as free kicks in round ten as they were yesterday.

Hawthorn were completely cooked anyway, irrespective of the free kick count. The difference in midfield rotations exacerbated the fact we stopped giving them the footy and reasons to score. Much like last week, our opposition's scoring was completely up to us. It's just that in the last quarter we stopped handing it to them, which was nice to see.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the three free kicks they sought a response on - the Worpel free kick was he most clear cut.

He was inside the centre circle when the umpire went to bounce the ball. Every match players take the long way around to their man for that reason.

In honesty - I thought the umpiring was pretty good on Sunday. I assumed they’d pay tonnes of frees to Hawthorn in the final qtr to even the “stat” because of media coverage - but they didn’t.

Hawthorn were sloppy and we were disciplined and hungry.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for an over correction from the umpires against the Suns this week.

This is a danger game for us.

Our fast hands are back this year. I have a feeling head office will look at clamping down on that again as they did post 2016.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Of the three free kicks they sought a response on - the Worpel free kick was he most clear cut.

He was inside the centre circle when the umpire went to bounce the ball. Every match players take the long way around to their man for that reason.

In honesty - I thought the umpiring was pretty good on Sunday. I assumed they’d pay tonnes of frees to Hawthorn in the final qtr to even the “stat” because of media coverage - but they didn’t.

Spot on. They were always ready to stop playing and stand around whinging too.

"its not our fault, the dirty rotten umpires were against us..."

I assumed they’d pay tonnes of frees to Hawthorn in the final qtr to even the “stat” because of media coverage - but they didn’t.

I was stunned when the payback didn't come.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

AFL said it would crack down on jumper punching etc. Seeking clarification is just paying lip service to the media chewimg its cud. Guilty as charged.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's tuesday and I just heard Steven Quartermain still carping and whinging on SEN. He was virtually saying "Yeah it was a free kick against Cicily under the new interpretation but, you know, we are Hawthorn and its not fair that we should have to follow the same rules that everyone else does, because, you know we are Hawthorn, and we always get the magic rub" It's like they are stunned that the umpires pay any free kicks against them let alone late in the last quarter when the game is on the line.

It sounded to me like he was just setting off to have a big cry after he'd hung up.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was stunned when the payback didn't come.
    They got a couple in the third that were lineball.

The only howler Hawks copped was the Henderson deliberate OOB - it was just a really shit kick.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The 2 worst decisions of the weekend have hardly caused a ripple in media circles....

The free against Scott Lycett for brushing past his ruck opponent from Carlton.

The non free against Luke Hodge for punching Aaron Hall in the neck.

Instead it is all about sucking up to the entitled Hawthorn Football Club, who clearly only lost because of 3 "game changing" free kicks given to the charity/basket case Western Suburbs lowlife Bulldogs.
    Footscray member since 1980.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The 2 worst decisions of the weekend have hardly caused a ripple in media circles....

The free against Scott Lycett for brushing past his ruck opponent from Carlton.

The non free against Luke Hodge for punching Aaron Hall in the neck.

Instead it is all about sucking up to the entitled Hawthorn Football Club, who clearly only lost because of 3 "game changing" free kicks given to the charity/basket case Western Suburbs lowlife Bulldogs.
    No one talks about the lack of ability of the Hawks to actually get the ball. How they beat Adelaide is beyond me when Adelaide smashed them everywhere bar the score board. Similar to us they had 100 more disposals, more contested poss. etc etc.

I think the Hawks are in trouble due to a lack of midfielders with the ability to get the ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

I thought O'Meara and Worpel were clear cut. I'm amazed they said Worpel should not have been given

Post Thanks / Like

The Grand Final I think it was Parker hands on the shoulders / unrealistic attempt to mark on Wood which immediately led to a Kennedy goal from general play 30 metres out? Anyone? This has always annoyed me and now I feel better.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They can sook all they want but AFEL House is predictably doubling down on this ...

Look at Bont and Naughton's faces here and try not to giggle. It's impossible.
    BORDERLINE FLYING