Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Umpiring Whinge Thread - Say it and feel better

Whinge away -

Umpires seemed to have got it wrong quite a few times with various decisions affecting both teams at certain stages of the game. Frustrating to the max - I couldn't understand why Robert Murphy's mark wasn't paid and also the Robbins one.

Did any of you see the incident when Franklin ran through the point post with the ball then went straight back in and tried to kick a goal which luckily we rushed through, he was clearly over the point line and just stepped back into the square like nothing happened, some Hawks supporters near us made mention of the fact that he has done that in other games.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Umpiring Whinge Thread - Say it and feel better

I don't know why but I just don't concern myself with the umpiring that much anymore. I don't like some of the new rules all that much and think the game has become too complex for effective umpiring.

Some of the decisions today were perplexing but we got both the good and bad of it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Umpiring was disgraceful, especially Matty Robbins mark not being paid, compared to Batemans that was. I will have to watch the replay because half of the free kicks I did not even know what they were for? Very lopsided tally count.
    And why does a guy who gets the ball, is then swamped by players, pinged for holding the ball, I thought they had to have prior opportunity?
    Bloody umps ruin the game.

Wally G Guest

The holding the ball interpretations are beyond belief. Terribly inconsistent. There were a couple of decisions today when players were pinged when they were sat on, had no prior opportunity and had not dived on the pill. Yet players (from both sides) when tackled often make no real attempt, drop the ball or basically throw it and umps call play on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't know why but I just don't concern myself with the umpiring that much anymore. I don't like some of the new rules all that much and think the game has become too complex for effective umpiring.

Some of the decisions today were perplexing but we got both the good and bad of it.
    I feel pretty similar, I didn't see the game today, but I generally think if you play with enough intensity you make your own luck. However I do get a bit disappointed with umpires giving free kicks against Hargraves and Harris right in front of goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if we had been losing I would've been very frustrated. I thought the umpiring was pretty ordinary today and lacked a lot of consistency. Umpires, discuss your interpretations prior to the game, during the breaks etc. Make it consistent!

The umpiring has been pretty crap most of the season thus far in matches I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    Yeah, if we had been losing I would've been very frustrated. I thought the umpiring was pretty ordinary today and lacked a lot of consistency. Umpires, discuss your interpretations prior to the game, during the breaks etc. Make it consistent!

The umpiring has been pretty crap most of the season thus far in matches I've seen.

Is it the umpires or are the rules making things a lot more difficult for them? This round there must have been a focus on the 15mtr marking rule. A lot of kicks that we 20mtrs were called to play on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a bit of both. The rules have changed a lot over the last 10 or so years with regards to in the back, holding the ball etc, but the umpires are taught the interpretations and should make the correct decisions based on those rules and interpretations. I don't mind putting up with a couple of bad decisions, but when there is a lack of consistency where one example is a free, and another example of the same thing isn't paid a free, it gets a bit annoying.

It did seem as though they made an effort with regards to the 15m kicking rule. But in all honesty, why? There are far more important rules and interpretations that need work. Those guys make a load of cash for their umpiring, and as stressful as it would be, for the amount of money they're being paid, they should work better, accept the criticism leveled on them and just generally work harder to make the game as fair as possible in accordance with the rules.

On that note, the Robbins mark, that was paid, then after the replay on the big screen, reversed. WTF? Is that allowed? How come in the past when Jordie has kindly asked the umpire to look at the screen he hasn't?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Did any of you see the incident when Franklin ran through the point post with the ball then went straight back in and tried to kick a goal which luckily we rushed through, he was clearly over the point line and just stepped back into the square like nothing happened, some Hawks supporters near us made mention of the fact that he has done that in other games.
    It was over the boundary line even before that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    It was over the boundary line even before that.
    Ohhh, I must've missed that bit, will check it out on the replay when I watch it tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Frees 12 -25

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that we were being umpired against.

Was there one particular umpire that gave more frees against us than others?

I have not seen an umpire give a mark and then another umpire take it off him because he thinks he just didn't seem to hold onto it properly, as seemed to be in the case of Robbins.

I think that the Bulldogs' football administation should go through the video and make a query to the AFL, asking them to investigate. Really seemed to be biased.

Seemed as though some umpires were giveing bad fees away against us and some other umpires trying to make up for it with nearly as dumb frees the other way.

Real bad show.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh, I must've missed that bit, will check it out on the replay when I watch it tomorrow.

I was sitting next to Ernie and I thought he'd taken it over the boundary as well.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Whinge away -

Umpires seemed to have got it wrong quite a few times with various decisions affecting both teams at certain stages of the game. Frustrating to the max - I couldn't understand why Robert Murphy's mark wasn't paid and also the Robbins one.
    The Murphy one wasn't paid because Shaggy had his arm around Franklin, or you could say Franklin was holding Shaggy and Shaggy tried to break free but they both fell and the umpire deemed holding the man. Shaggy gives away alot of these frees and really has to change his style of play.

The Robbins one, he didn't really control the ball. Unfortunatelty the umpires stuffed it up, as one umpire paid the mark, Johnno had already picked up the ball and had a shot for goal (point). The ball was brought back and just as Robbins was lining up, the umpires reversed the decision. Eade thinks one umpire looked up at the screen and saw the reply and changed his mind.

Post Thanks / Like

General Umpiring........... I think the rules committee is a big joke, they have over complicated the game and are virtually umpiring out the contest. I think it must be very difficult to umpire a game and I really don't think there should be three umpires on the ground, two are enough.