Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "butterfly effect" - 23rd man

Home advantage is real. Number of different reasons but is statistically significant.

AFL = 58% (home advantage 9.8 pts)
    NFL = 57% (home advantage 3.3 pts)
    One day Cricket = 58% (5.6 runs)
    Football - EPL = 48% win, 26% tie (home advantage 0.97 goals)

Source: Run like you stole something - Damian Farrow & Justin Kemp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Like-You.../dp/1741140676

In my opinion the crowd is a significant factor.

(An aside. Interesting stat; between 86 and 99, the Indian cricket team won 17 of its 30 home tests and only one out of 46 away! Probably more to do with dodgy umps and pitches with this one.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    [I]A call to all Dogs supporters to cheer louder than they ever have before. We need the home crowd advantage. We have earned it after 22 rounds. They are the traveling team, let's make them feel like the MCG is foreign territory.
    And a call to the old codger sitting behind me last week who was whingeing and moaning from the 5th minute of the game and refused to cheer when we were playing well.

For Christ's sake stay home, give someone who actually wants to be at the footy your ticket and stop acting as though the club owes you something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    And a call to the old codger sitting behind me last week who was whingeing and moaning from the 5th minute of the game and refused to cheer when we were playing well.

For Christ's sake stay home, give someone who actually wants to be at the footy your ticket and stop acting as though the club owes you something.
    I had a similar old geezer behind me last night.

He was atrocious, repeatedly berating the guys - and we were winning!

I ended up telling him to piss off home if he wasn't enjoying himself.

PS: Apologies if the aforementioned old geezer is a fellow WOOFer, but you really got under my skin.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It can have an effect, if not on the players on your own enjoyment of the game. There are few things better than being a part of a boisterous crowd, hearing a roar go up in unison or your team echoing through the stands.

Likewise, there are few things worse than being outnumbered and on the end of the oppositions cheer.

This stuff does have an impact, although I think we tend to be a bit more cynical about it all these days. You're less likely to see some try gee up the crowd, home made flags etc - not sure exactly why. That the game is its own spectacle and we just sit and watch isn't a great thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it when the crowd yell COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOney.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love it when the crowd yell COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOney.
    Happened a fair bit last night, haven't really heard it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    And so, my fellow Bulldog members: ask not what your team can do for you - ask what you can do for your team.
    Well said Let's make the G roar with bulldog chants! I've a good feeling about Friday night - saw 2 real dog Bulldogs today, and they were smiling at me I reckon that's an omen!