Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Williams in line for recall

Brent Diamond | September 13, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Tom Williams could be a surprise recall to add some height to the Western Bulldogs' back line against the power of St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke on Friday night after a strong showing for Williamstown yesterday.

And forward Josh Hill, dropped for Friday night's semi-final, says he is hopeful of a return despite not producing his best performance in the win.

Hill, who has played every senior match this season, except for the semi-final, said: "You never know. It's a tough decision by the coaches, but we'll just have to see. It was one of my goals at the start of the season to play every game, but it's pretty disappointing not to be playing in finals."

Article in full...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Williams in line for recall

He did enough yesterday to suggest that he is physically ready to play next week if Eade believes he needs him. The harder question revolves around who would he replace.

Post Thanks / Like

Should play for mine, we need to give Morris a smaller opponent. Dont forget Saints like to push their ruckman forward at times as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I'd say yes, but Callan did well on Friday, and is a real hard nut. Question mark for me is William's obvious physical battles, and how he would hold up in a do-or-die PF...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Roll the dice & bring him in, otherwise we are stuffed.

cede nullis Guest

we have to give Morris support and last time he was way too small in marking contests. I cant see any other option than to play Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cede nullis View Post
    we have to give Morris support and last time he was way too small in marking contests. I cant see any other option than to play Williams
    I'm inclined to agree.

I just feel Tom has to play.

Who then misses?

Tim Callan or Scott Welsh???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

Tim Callan or Scott Welsh???
    I think it has to be one of those two. If Williams is to come in, I would definitely go with Welsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams will play but I don't think its the right move... he doesn't read the play and is always flat footed

Post Thanks / Like

Welsh isn't playing as a forward, so why have him in. He is only servicable down back, so bring in Williams allowing Morris, Shaggy and Callan the benefit of right sized opponents. Then use Gilbee and/or Harbrow further up the ground in a more attacking role. Williams value add is not simply his attributes alone, it's the balance he brings with several forward gorillas.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Williams looking like a Bulldogs wildcard

Samantha Lane | September 15, 2009

TOM WILLIAMS has emerged as the Western Bulldogs' finals wildcard courtesy of a timely weekend VFL performance that has put the injury-plagued high draft pick in line to make his September debut this Friday night.

Grounded by a foot injury just weeks ago, Williams was yesterday described as a ''shining light'' in the Williamstown side that was upset by Collingwood in Saturday's VFL semi-final.

The 196-centimetre, 101-kilogram key position player was used in defence and got through about 75 per cent of the VFL match.

Article in full...

Post Thanks / Like

"The 14 senior outings Williams has already had this year is a personal record after he played 13 games in his debut season and managed just six last year due to leg and shoulder ailments."

Impressive.

It will be a roll of the dice to play him but who else can match St Nick, Morris has struggled, Everritt longshot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    It will be a roll of the dice to play him but who else can match St Nick, Morris has struggled, Everritt longshot?
    Agreed on roll of the dice. It's Morris vs an underdone inexperienced taller defender. I'm just uneasy bringing in an underdone player, whatever the height and size, to play in a PF. And then play them on the best CHF in the comp.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Agreed on roll of the dice. It's Morris vs an underdone inexperienced taller defender. I'm just uneasy bringing in an underdone player, whatever the height and size, to play in a PF. And then play them on the best CHF in the comp.
    If he is training well I would consider him because when the heat was on against Buddy last year Morris came up well short. I would consider putting Williams on Kosi and Lake on Riewoldt. Morris then becomes the plan B option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If he is training well I would consider him because when the heat was on against Buddy last year Morris came up well short. I would consider putting Williams on Kosi and Lake on Riewoldt. Morris then becomes the plan B option.
    At the very least, Williams gives us flexibility. If we only go in with Lake and Morris as our KPD's and St. Kilda get on top of us, we're going to be climbing up a never ending hill. At least with Lake, Morris and Williams - we can rotate these three on their two. Gardiner will probably spend time up forward too. I think he has to come in, Welsh can't fill the role at either end of the ground.