Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everitt & Hill

Post Thanks / Like

Everitt & Hill

They are both talented players, far more talented than some players who made the 22 last night. That isn't an indictment on those members of the 22 of course but it well and truly is on Dre and Hill. If they have a decent attitude they would have been there last night, playing at the big stage with the clear and present chance of playing in the biggest one.

These two guys should be embarrassed by their output this year and if they are worth their salt, they will put in quality pre-seasons and ensure they are never legitimately behind someone like Callan for a spot in the side ever again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everitt & Hill

Callan is a back pocket who plays on the opposition small forwards. Everitt is a half back flanker and Hill a half forward flanker, dont know how you can compare the 3. Callan played in the side for team balance as well as having a good few weeks in Williamstown.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's fair to speculate that if they had a better attitude they would have been playing last night. They are still both developing and have deficiencies in their games that they need to improve on.

Hill had a pretty good year, but needs to improve his contested work and tackling. Everitt had a disappointing year, but showed some good signs in his appearance at the end of the H&A.

As you say though, both should be aiming for big pre-seasons and playing a lot of senior footy next year. If I was on the verges, I'd be busting my ass to be apart of the team next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Very harsh on Hill Rocco... Almost unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see Everitt at half forward with spells in the ruck..
    Hill is also a half forward / winger I believe that is where he plays his best footy, with our forward line step he is always going to get a bigger bodied defender and gets pushed off the ball to easy.

These 2 boys just need to work on second and third efforts, and defensive side of their game. They need to back themselves in - their are both good enough to play at this level!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Very harsh on Hill Rocco... Almost unfair.
    If Hill had Callan's intensity he would have been in the side last night, so I think Rocco makes a good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    If Hill had Callan's intensity he would have been in the side last night, so I think Rocco makes a good point.
    I was referring to the point that Rocco made that Hill should be embarrassed by his output this year... I think that call is harsh.

Hill had a pretty good year and yes he needs to improve certain aspects of his game, but he certainly improved this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit hard to say they should be embarrassed. They should have a good understanding of why they were dropped/not selected this year, and if they want to make the extra step, they need to address those areas. Aker put it well when he blasted Hill, "Do you wanna be a B-grader? Don't be a B-grader!!!!"....

Callan plays different roles to the others, and has been somewhat unlucky in not seeing much time this year. I think he's good value.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I think Hill's omission could be the making of him. A hard pre-season could see him as the designated gut-runner where he will get plenty of the ball and take over as the Eagleton-type link player. He may not have the left-foot leg cannon of Eagle but his disposal is very good and he is infinately better than the Bald one overhead.

I can't see Everitt at the club next year. He is probably in the jack of all trades, master of none category. He doesn't play like a KPP and generally doesn't get enough of the ball to play wing - he doesn't have the bastard gene that other have. In that respect I think the comparison to Callan (attitude) in the OP was quite valid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I hope these two are not sooks about missing playing in the finals. They are both 20 years old and have a huge upside. I think Hill has had a pretty good year, kicking 33 goals, and was unlucky not to be playing last night. Everitt needs to lift his intensity and he will be a good player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Aker put it well when he blasted Hill, "Do you wanna be a B-grader? Don't be a B-grader!!!!"....
    I've never heard this story, when was this?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the general sentiment. Both need to take their finals demotions as a challenge to improve next year and start tapping into their potential.

What really shits me is that IMO, Gotch didn't play Dre enough in the forward half to see just how good he was. Now Carlton are sniffing and do we hold onto him hoping the Collingwood game wasnt a once off or try to see what we can get. I'm glad to hear the club has told Gotch not to come back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

With regard to the ruck, i still feel we need another viable ruck for next year. Can Everitt fill that role ala Brennan?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A fit and in form firing Hill would have presented some options last night. He can jump and have a decent leap at a footy, something we definitely missed last night.

However whether he can stand up and deliver that at crucial times under enormous pressure is the big question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I can't see Everitt at the club next year. He is probably in the jack of all trades, master of none category. He doesn't play like a KPP and generally doesn't get enough of the ball to play wing - he doesn't have the bastard gene that other have. In that respect I think the comparison to Callan (attitude) in the OP was quite valid.
    Agree with everything you have said, at the moment. I think he could improve and become a master of a role or two if given a consistent go at it and become a very valuable utility. Attitudes can develop as players/people get older. If we do decide to move him on, how about Waite as a trade? Could be a good HBF to free Gilbee and avoid Murphy having to go back, go forward or play CHB as a back up for Williams
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff