Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premiership window

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yep - proud of Johnson and no doubt he will/should play on in 2010.

I struggle to make a case for the rest. If we chase Hall (and we should) then I don't know if we can/should keep Aker. He's been very good for us, but has failed badly in the last two games when we've needed him. I think we need to be mindful of the group's age and really start to develop 2-3 young players next season.

Cross/Gia are two names I'd throw up at the trade table.
    I know tough love is on the agenda but I'd be stunned if they traded Gia or Cross. Particular as we are in a shallow draft this season. BTW premiership window is just a bullshit modern term,as we saw tonight Stkilda's ''window'' had been shut a few years back after successive prelim final losses.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go by that theory, I think it might be about to get slammed shut.

The Premiership clock has us running out of batteries at 12:55

yeah_sampson Guest

I thought this year was different... and oh my it was!!! The feeling at the "G" last night was all about the Bulldogs! The crowd for the doggies was in full flight and Ive never been so sure we would be in a Grand Final. That last quarter seemed to just go! and the 3 Quarter poor umpiring seemed to swing the game into Saints favour.

But having said that I dont think trading all our players away at the end of the year would do us any favours. Look at St Kilda last year, not a great team and even thought they were lucky to even make the top four, but this year have turned it around.

Premiership Window is open every year.......... but who wants to jump through it MOST, WILL!!

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of incremental tinkering with the list including delisting/trading some of the fringe players, and getting Barry Hall. My biggest concern is holding on to Davoren the fitness guy but it think if we get that right, we should be up there. Look at Geelong, and yes, the Saints, four preliminary finals they have made and finally they win won.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    If you go by that theory, I think it might be about to get slammed shut.

The Premiership clock has us running out of batteries at 12:55
    Good. The general concensus on the Saints was their premiership window died with the GT era after losing key players. Premiership windows rarely fit the stereotype (Hawks are an example).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships are going to get even harder with two new teams coming into the competition and the AFL wanting to ensure they are successful.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think next year, possible 2011 and 12. After that it's a rebuild with most of the '99 draftees on the way out or gone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think next year, possible 2011 and 12. After that it's a rebuild with most of the '99 draftees on the way out or gone.
    Rd 1 2013 using only players on our list at present and besides Lake keeping no-one who will be over 28 at the start of the year.

B: Harbrow (24), Boumann (23), Lake (31)
    HB: Wood (23), Williams (26), Tiller (26)
    C: Hill (24), Ward (22), Everitt (24)
    HF: Stack (24), Jones (22), Higgins (25)
    F: Lynch (25), Grant (23), Cordy (22)
    R: Roughead (22), Cooney (27), Griffen (26)

Int: Picken (26), Addison (25), Minson (27), Reid (23)

If our young guys develop the way we hope they can I can see us up near the top for some time yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Rd 1 2013 using only players on our list at present and besides Lake keeping no-one who will be over 28 at the start of the year.

If our young guys develop the way we hope they can I can see us up near the top for some time yet.
    That looks a good side and we will also have a couple of handy inclusions with some father sons it is not a window we need it is a desire (which we have in spades) to win although shattered i am confident nof the future our list is as deep as any and deeper than most.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Fairly young list, looks bloody good though.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, that looks a very good team. But we still don't know if Jones, Boumann or Grant will make it.

Post Thanks / Like

Blow me down, an actual spine.

It's an encouraging glance forward, particularly if you allow for a conservative 2 or 3 additions via the draft between now and then...but that half back line's a worry.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    It's an encouraging glance forward, particularly if you allow for a conservative 2 or 3 additions via the draft between now and then...but that half back line's a worry.
    Depends whether Boumann is given licence to run. I don't have official training times but he would have to be one of the quickest blokes at the club, or at least he makes everyone he is playing against look slow. Freak.

Not sure why we are talking rebuild already. We are 2010 contenders, we will have 3 f/s selections in 2010 & 2011 whilst everyone else gets scraps so ar already ahead of everyone else, and we have players on the list who would probably have been playing senior football at other clubs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

There are no guarantees in football. We may not make the 8 next year. Look at Hawthorn. It is such an incredible achievement to make a Prelim, it takes a long pre-season, good recruitment, player and team management, luck with injuries, winning enough games to get in the top 4, and a lack of a dominating team like Geelong of the last two years etc etc.
    There is plenty of room for optimism, I am a natural optimist and throughout these finals believed the Dogs would win the premiership. However our chance of winning the flag with this team may have ended with this prelim, only time will tell. Fate has to shine on you. Good management is not enough.
    We can only hope and if you're a Bulldogs supporter you have that in buckets. Love you guys and the journey we share. Thanks for your posts throughout the year, previously my supporting was a lonely thing, you helped me share it.