Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welsh & Eagleton

Nobody loves Aker as much as I do, but we drafted him specifically for his experience and brilliance in such games. We desperately needed that brilliance tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Welsh's inability to do anything tonight wasn't ideal.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Welsh's inability to do anything tonight wasn't ideal.
    I suppose if Williams had have played and the results ended up the same we would be ruing the fact that we changed a winning side.
    I would have like Williams in the side tonight though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I suppose if Williams had have played and the results ended up the same we would be ruing the fact that we changed a winning side.
    Yeh, it's very easy to shoulda, coulda, woulda. I'm just frustrated by his inability to have a presence in these big games as opposed to being a hindsight champion.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Welsh to go, personally would have liked to see Everitt in tonight for Welsh. Eagle stays unless we can recruit a gut running long kicking player, the game changing to zones makes Eagle more valuable...

Post Thanks / Like

they're done, surely. thanks for the memories but it's time.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle's spot on the veteren's list next year may keep him at the club. I'm pretty sure Welsh will be gone though.

Post Thanks / Like

Welsh, Eagleton and Akermanis should retire. We need to free up some spots for our younger players coming through, as well as make some salary cap space for Lakes contract and to get Hall to our club. Apart from that i think they are finished anyway.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Welsh
    Gone. Just tooooo slow. We need a FF, not a loose man in defence. Played a great 2008, thanks for the memories.
    There are guys like Everitt, Grant and possibly Hall who will play the FF spot far better than Scotty.

Aker
    Would like him to stay, He has won several games for us on his own boot this year...he did play every game this season, and I think was just tired by last night...we need to manage his workload and Johno's...not saying a passenger, but manage where he plays and not run him into the ground

Eagle
    I realise the need for a gut running wingman, who can carry the ball and kick long...the guy will be 31 or 32 next year?
    Who do we have waiting to take his spot...Ward will improve his run and carry, Wood possibly, O'Keefee doesnt have the endurance, Reid is more of an inside player, Addison doesnt have the endurance...

Wight...gone

Skipper...I think with Roughead emerging as a ruck back up there may be no point keeping Skip...beyong Roughead we dont have much ruck back up...so I think replacing him with a taller, mature ruckman (21 + year old) would be prudent....gone

Lynch...gone

Johhno....interested in peoples thoughts about him keeping the captaincy...I would prefer that Johhno had to focus on his own performances in 2010, and possibly passed on the baton to Boyd...Johno will still be an inspirational leader, and the spiritual leader, but would officially have the burden of captaincy released

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No. Both have given us good service but it us now time to invest in some younger guys in the hope they can assist in taking us that next step further.
    My thoughts exactly.

Got to get some fresh blood in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Got to get some fresh blood in the team.
    I'm definitely not against losing both Welsh and Eagleton but we did introduce a lot of youngsters into the side during the season and did a good job of freshening up the side.
    With a bit more form plus being injury free the likes Stack, Reid, Tiller and Everitt will command their spots in the senior side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I know Tiller was injured round 17ish, did he just not get enough games into his legs?
    I would've prefered Tiller to play last night than Williams or Welsh.

Therefore I think Welsh should retire and we let Tiller, Everitt, Williams and Bouman fight it out for his spot. Unless of course Hall comes along.

Post Thanks / Like

Read the player ratings on the AFL website - here's Welsh's

Scott Welsh – 1
    Could have attributed his quiet evening to reported groin troubles. Failed to get into the game after a one-touch first quarter and added nothing to the scoreboard

Why did he play if that was an issue? If Hall comes on board, he's in trouble.

Eagleton's like a riddle for me - what I really like is that he just keeps running to space, but his decision making let him down at times last night. I'd keep him on

I kept wishing Aker would play a bit deeper last night, he was effective at times against Geelong in this area.

I know Johnson isn't a topic on this thread, but will say he's a no brainer to play on.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Totally agree. Williams should have played ahead of Welsh even if it was for 10 minute spells. What is more frustration is to read that Welsh had been carrying a groin injury for some weeks now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Totally agree. Williams should have played ahead of Welsh even if it was for 10 minute spells. What is more frustration is to read that Welsh had been carrying a groin injury for some weeks now.
    And it's not like the average punter knows he is useless at AFL level unless is 100% fit...