Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad Johnson and the Captaincy

I love Brad. The heart and soul of our club. This is not a pot shot!!!

But a question was asked in another thread which i think deserves a thread for itself. That is, should Johno play on without the captaincy next year. Not as punishment or knee jerk reaction, but to hand over to say a younger captain like Higgins and usher in a knee era of leadership and allow him to just concentrate on playing. From memory, our last few captains have handed over before they actually retired.

Or, if Johno is in the RW&B should he be captain.

For me, I think a new cpatain and era of leadership will be refreshing and Higgins is the man. Johno should keep on playing and he is a natural leader in any event. It would be good to just let him play and put more responsibility on the younger leaders to standup and improve. That may just be where we get the extra improvement from?

Thoughts.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brad Johnson and the Captaincy

I have never really seen Johnno as the "captain type" but I think he is closer to that now than ever. I would love to have Higgins leading the club but with all his injuries I would probably prefer him to concentrate on getting himself right.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it's in Higgins contract that he becomes captain in the next year or two. Do they usually do that?

This is a really tough one though. I think we have a really good thing going with our leadership group and the face captain doesn't really matter.

I think Johnno would be absolutely shattered to lose the title though. I say stick with Johnno

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the point in giving it to someone else yet, if it did it just would be a title next to their name until Johnno retires.

bulldog Guest

Johnno is the man he i so inspirational i love the bloke.
    Boydy for mine is the next captain

Post Thanks / Like

Keep him there until he retires. The young players can show leadership and improve their games without the captaincy.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should be Johno's call - and we respect whatever he wants to do. I agree with the previous poster that Boyd should get the nod otherwise, he is the most inspirational player on our list, from Frankston reserves to elite midfielder.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno showed last night that he should still be skipper - he really stood up when we needed him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    I think it should be Johno's call - and we respect whatever he wants to do.
    This is what should happen.

Studentlib Guest

Perhaps we could add Callan Ward to the mix of next gen. captaincy. Jonno passes to Boyd as an interim Captain for 2011/2012 turns 30 in 2012 who passes it to Ward for 2013. In terms of competitive attitude, never taking a backward step, hardness at the ball and inspirational acts, I think young Ward has already passed Higgins. With around 100 matches notched up by end of 2012, turns 23 in April 2013 - could make an excellent long term Captain. Last year Murphy predicted on TV that he would be a 200+ game player.
    What is his impact around the players or is he still on P Plates as a leader?

Post Thanks / Like

In any event the AFL better have us playing in Melbourne round one for Johno's 350th or else!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think the role or more importantly the expectation by supporters on what a captain should do is a tad overstated.
    We have plenty of excellent leaders at the club and I really don't think it's makes a lot of difference who it is.

Post Thanks / Like

We saw it with Grant, he stood down to concentrate on his career. Maybe Johno needs to take a step back to prolong his career??? Someone like Gia, Murph, could take over????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Someone like Gia, Murph, could take over????
    Based on last night and just in my general viewpoint lately, no thanks.

I too agree that someone like Boyd would be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    I think it should be Johno's call - and we respect whatever he wants to do.
    Agree completely. He is so obviously our leader. It is up to him if he wants to hand it over and mentor/help next years captain.....for 2 years I hope.

Johno for 400 games!