Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aker on Before The Game

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Don't you think everyone the world over thinks that the Italians are the softest sooks in soccer (and has thought so for a long time -- I remember a cliche I learnt as a kid, that Italian soccer players are taught to dive before they learn to kick a ball), and that Grosso's only claim to fame for the rest of his existence will be being linked to being a diver in a World Cup (long after anyone remembers he won anything)? Say 'Fabio Grosso' in 20 years time in a free association test, and the answer won't be 'World Cup Winner', it'll be "dove to win dodgy penalty". Don't believe me, just look up his Wikipedia entry.
    Sorry not sure you are joking but that paragraph is just BS. A view only held by those in Australia that know little about the world game.

For your information, Grosso scored a ripper goal in the semi and converted the last penalty in the actual final. I doubt the french club that bought him after WC06 thought once about the Neill penalty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Don't you think everyone the world over thinks that the Italians are the softest sooks in soccer (and has thought so for a long time -- I remember a cliche I learnt as a kid, that Italian soccer players are taught to dive before they learn to kick a ball), and that Grosso's only claim to fame for the rest of his existence will be being linked to being a diver in a World Cup (long after anyone remembers he won anything)? Say 'Fabio Grosso' in 20 years time in a free association test, and the answer won't be 'World Cup Winner', it'll be "dove to win dodgy penalty". Don't believe me, just look up his Wikipedia entry.

People remember these things.. I don't know why some people say that no one remembers the dickheads and only remembers that they won. No they don't -- Argentina's World Cup win in 1978 will always be rubbished because of its links to the military and their dodgy win against Peru to get into the final, Maradona's so-called 'Hand of God' retains its notoriety (and contributes to the glee over his many falls from grace), the memory of Germany's win over France in the 1982 World Cup semi-final is still marred by German goalie Harald Schumacher's sickening assault on Patrick Battison that left him hospitalised (the French recently voted him the most hated German in history, with Adolf Hitler second!), people still talk about East Germany's drug-riddled Olympic wins, people still talk about the controversial Muhammad Ali/Sonny Liston phantom punch, West Coast's drug-enhanced win still attracted comment in the press this year etc etc etc.

It's the 'asterisk' effect of doing something shitty, when people (mentally or literally) put an asterisk alongside the official record to remind everyone of the dodginess of the win. You win, but at the expense of your reputation and soul. Forevermore will St Nick, when discussions are had about 'great players' in the future, have an asterisk alongside his name that says - 'soft-as-shit, cheating sook'.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Sorry not sure you are joking but that paragraph is just BS. A view only held by those in Australia that know little about the world game.

For your information, Grosso scored a ripper goal in the semi and converted the last penalty in the actual final. I doubt the french club that bought him after WC06 thought once about the Neill penalty.
    Hang on, let me grab the popcorn
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hang on, let me grab the popcorn
    It's OK. Ernie's thrown his 2-bob in, he'll probably just drop it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Could Riewoldt's knee problems have contributed to his fall? I'm not sure which knee is sore or which one he landed on, but there is the potential that when knocked, he fell onto his sore leg and, because he didn't want to put undue pressure on the joint, he fell.
    Yeah, could also be due to the weak heart muscle he possesses...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    It's OK. Ernie's thrown his 2-bob in, he'll probably just drop it now.
    I'm just going to revel in SS's compliment.

Even I knew what I wrote was bullshit.

(But it's amazing what you can do with bull when you dress it up with some historical precedent... it's the fiction writer in me coming out. I think we call it 'pulling the wool over the eyes' in the industry ie. if we sound like we know what we're talking about, 99% of readers will believe us!)

Post Thanks / Like

*grin* Besides, Nick's 'crime' was hardly greater than Grosso's.

Ps. I know that Grosso scored the goal in the semi. I was at the stadium in Dortmund (outside, watching the big screen, couldn't get tickets in after drive up from Cologne/Koln), and my German female friend cried her heart out after the game (and no, I didn't take advantage of her).

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Lantern, got me there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Lantern, got me there.
    Haha -- no worries. I was also BS-ing about Grosso's Wikipedia entry -- I think it only mentions the 'controversial' penalty two-thirds of the way down (just looked it up then). He's a very good attacking full-back... solid Champions League performer with Lyon.

Ps. Roo is still soft.