Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ump call spot on

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    How so ?
    Most of us still remember the bad decision by the goal umpire in the "97 prelim.
    Outside of the Bulldogs is what he meant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Dermott is right though - the umpiring department can easily defend the free-kick. I didn't like it, but Lake would have known that there was the potential a kick would be paid if Riewoldt went to ground. I really dont understand why he did it - it was soft and it was petty and it was marginal...doesn't mean there wasn't a kick there 'under the rules'.

I was more upset with the non-awarding of the ruck free-kick to Hudson with 2 mins to go...they had put the whistles away for the most important stage of the game. Next week they wont pay a thing.
    Nick took a dive, soft as butter. Common sense must prevail by the AFL and umpires. Now we have a situation that you can 't bump a player shoulder to shoulder away from the ball, what a joke. Happens at every single stoppage, at ball ups etc during the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest problem with this decision was that it was reported that the umpire said something like 'If you push him over again I will pay a free kick'.

I would have hoped that umpires pay decisions on each individual event or action rather than take an accumulative approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    My biggest problem with this decision was that it was reported that the umpire said something like 'If you push him over again I will pay a free kick'.

I would have hoped that umpires pay decisions on each individual event or action rather than take an accumulative approach.
    Aker's words were (Dale was told in front of Rooey) "If you bump him AND he falls over, i will pay a free kick". Thus Rooey knew taking a dive would qualify for the free kick. Hence why Lake didn't bump him hard and Rooey dived. Poor umpiring which created the situation.I don't blame Rooey, I blame a guy who should be dumped from the umpiring panel for a very poor performance.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Aker's words were (Dale was told in front of Rooey) "If you bump him AND he falls over, i will pay a free kick". Thus Rooey knew taking a dive would qualify for the free kick. Hence why Lake didn't bump him hard and Rooey dived. Poor umpiring which created the situation.I don't blame Rooey, I blame a guy who should be dumped from the umpiring panel for a very poor performance.
    Diving in any sports is counted as cheating
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Diving in any sports is counted as cheating
    I don't disagree, but if i get to (metaphorically) shot one person, i shot the umpire for letting Roo know to dive for a free.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Agreed, since when has this been the approach? To me its a new rule or rule change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    the word "wrong" isn't on heavy rotation there
    What's this rotation? As far as "the fraternity" are concerned, we "the fraternity" are right and they (and they know who they are) are wrong. The notion of rotating that concept is unthinkable.

Nevertheless when they jump so quickly to the defence about what was at best 50/50 we all know, that they know, it was very very sus.

Nudge, nudge, wink wink.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

yeah_sampson Guest

AFL just lost it's last semblence of respectibility and credibility.
    Did it ever even have that Much anyway?? They burn us all the time, Prelim or not!
    The game against Collingwood, I think round 15, Harry O'brien was holding jumpers all day and nothing was ever called, yet we were being called for next to nothing.

I could see it from Level 3.

Umps are NERDS that never got a game in Juniors and are trying to now have an impact in AFL, and they certainly did on Friday Night.

Who I feel sorry for most was the pleasant "Nanna" that I sat next to all night who actually thought that she may see us win a GF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_sampson View Post
    Did it ever even have that Much anyway?? They burn us all the time, Prelim or not!
    The game against Collingwood, I think round 15, Harry O'brien was holding jumpers all day and nothing was ever called, yet we were being called for next to nothing.

I could see it from Level 3.

Umps are NERDS that never got a game in Juniors and are trying to now have an impact in AFL, and they certainly did on Friday Night.

Who I feel sorry for most was the pleasant "Nanna" that I sat next to all night who actually thought that she may see us win a GF.
    I understand your frustration, but i used to umpire and coached local junior umpires. Bit harsh to label everyone like that, especialy since this forum has it's fair share of umpires. Play the ball, not the man. Some of their decisions were very, very bad which were costly. I await to see how gets the nod for the GF this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_sampson View Post
    ME TOO! Seriously, I was next to this lovely "older" lady, who I reckon saw both of the Bulldogs previous GF efforts...and perhaps the Bulldogs first ever game (Sorry, couldn't resist!), during the 4th qtr I didn't want to look at her, for fear that she'd fall off the perch (sorry again!)
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I await to see how gets the nod for the GF this week.
    I heard a hot tip - after the PF game reviews, they've given the gig to Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli, Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano....

(Apologies to fans of the said entertainers... they're not actually going to be there)
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I heard a hot tip - after the PF game reviews, they've given the gig to Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli, Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano....

(Apologies to fans of the said entertainers... they're not actually going to be there)
    It will be good pre-game entertainment.

Post Thanks / Like

Well he never got the GF gig but it "wasn't" based on that free kick yeah ok whatever Chamberlain was a bit stiff though.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

yeah_sampson Guest

I understand your frustration, but i used to umpire and coached local junior umpires. Bit harsh to label everyone like that, especialy since this forum has it's fair share of umpires. Play the ball, not the man. Some of their decisions were very, very bad which were costly. I await to see how gets the nod for the GF this week.
    Sorry Pal! Heat of the moment!!!

hahaha!!!

Maybe Shane McInerney & the other two were geeks that never made the cut!!