Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mel Guest

Re: Nick Coloumb Calls Reivolting a CHEAT

Geez ....Columb calls Saint Nick a cheat...that'll make him lose some sleep!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The problem lies with the umpire and NOT with Riewoldt.

Brad Johnson would have done exactly the same thing if faced with that situation.
    Top post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's been happening for years in the AFL and nothing has been said by Columb. This just smacks of sour grapes and doesn't do a lot for us. We shouldn't be questioning Riewoldt's integrity.
    I know where you are coming from and maybe we shouldn't be party to such matters, but the integrity of our players is routinely questioned.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Geez ....Columb calls Saint Nick a cheat...that'll make him lose some sleep!
    Probably not, but he delights in the St Nick persona and the over inflated reaction to his every deed on the field. He won't like his integrity questioned.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Riewoldt the biggest German diver since Jurgen KlinsmannSeriously I blame the AFL and it's silly knee jerk rule changes. Just looking forward to seeing it again and again happen and no penalty applied

Post Thanks / Like

It was Reiwoldt who was the cheat diver. The umpire was just stupid.

Because the umpire was stupid doesn't make Reiwoldt not a cheat.

What Johnno would or would not have done is irrelevant, it doesn't detract from the fact that Reiwoldt was a cheat and got away with it.

The AFL officials who agree with the decision are a bunch of sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cuming View Post
    It was Reiwoldt who was the cheat diver. The umpire was just stupid.

Because the umpire was stupid doesn't make Reiwoldt not a cheat.

What Johnno would or would not have done is irrelevant, it doesn't detract from the fact that Reiwoldt was a cheat and got away with it.

The AFL officials who agree with the decision are a bunch of sucks.
    Agree - would go for something stronger than stupid for the umps though.

Post Thanks / Like

We shouldn't be questioning Riewoldt's integrity.
    Why not? The way he fell down he should take the Emmy Award off Toni Collette
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why not? The way he fell down he should take the Emmy Award off Toni Collette
    I'm surprised that you can't see the difference between acting and staging for a free kick and being called a cheat.
    Did he act and stage for a free kick? - Yes. Is he a cheat? - No.

When you call someone a cheat you are questioning their integrity and Coloumb was wrong to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised that you can't see the difference between acting and staging for a free kick and being called a cheat.
    Did he act and stage for a free kick? - Yes. Is he a cheat? - No.

When you call someone a cheat you are questioning their integrity and Coloumb was wrong to do so.
    Riewoldt was a cheat. I do question his integrity.

Gary, you know I respect your views, but I don't see how 'acting and staging for a free kick' is different from cheating. Soccer has come around to this and is trying to stamp it out because it is a blight on the game. The more staging there is the harder it is to officiate as umps can't tell what's real and what's not, so they end up guessing and penalising the wrong ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

Gary, you know I respect your views, but I don't see how 'acting and staging for a free kick' is different from cheating. Soccer has come around to this and is trying to stamp it out because it is a blight on the game. The more staging there is the harder it is to officiate as umps can't tell what's real and what's not, so they end up guessing and penalising the wrong ones.
    I also think staging is also slightly different. Sometimes staging is exaggerating an action so that the umpire can see the free kick. What Nick did was fall to the ground when he was bumped, with practically no force at all. He didn't just exaggerate it. If he was hit as hard as was made out, why wasn't Lake reported for striking?

The other thing that Colomb said was he agreed that fullbacks should not be constantly elbowing the FF, but he thought the free kick should have been in the centre of the ground, not right in front of goal.

In any case, the AFL have once more not thought out the whole thing and with a knee jerk reaction created something that will change the game forever.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The other thing that Colomb said was he agreed that fullbacks should not be constantly elbowing the FF, but he thought the free kick should have been in the centre of the ground, not right in front of goal.

Which clearly shows Nick has no idea what he is talking about.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The problem lies with the umpire and NOT with Riewoldt.

Brad Johnson would have done exactly the same thing if faced with that situation.
    Hypothetical, maybe he wouldn't have; but if he would've I would've disrespected Johnson also. Johnno does stage and it's the one blemish in his character that I know of.
    To dive like Reiwoldt did, in front of goal in a prelim of such importance for both clubs is gutless/despicable/cheating when an umpire has indicated a real infringement will incur a penalty. It is abusing the judges duty of care and his authority on the game, both of which the umpire must have.
    It also went a long way to robbing us of a GF birth that all our endeavour and skill had earned us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

If you are going to take every little piece within a game like staging for free kicks, hiding the fact that you are running the ball out of bounds but pretending you aren't, pushing someone around when the umps aren't looking, holding opponents back as an act of cheating then why would you watch the game?

How many times does Brad Johnson and other players stage for frees? Boyd's a master at running the ball out of bounds but making it look like he couldn't stop it, are you really questioning the integrity of our own guys?

It's wrong to question a players integrity just because the umpire made a mistake and called it wrong. If we had rebounded the ball and kicked a goal ourselves we would be laughing at Riewoldts lame attempt, applauding the umpire for getting it right and most importantly celebrating a win. No one would be questioning his integrity if we had won the game.