Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott Welsh's exit opens door for Barry Hall

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not a messiah, will just add another option in the forward line. We will still need Aker , Hill, Higgins, Johnno to kick around 30 plus goals each.
    I agree. Those guys are also going to have to readjust to playing around a big forward which most of them haven't had for a long time, if at all. They'll need to do a lot of work over pre-season on this.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I agree. Those guys are also going to have to readjust to playing around a big forward which most of them haven't had for a long time, if at all. They'll need to do a lot of work over pre-season on this.
    Sure, there'll be some readjustment as there always is when you bring new players in, but we already bomb the ball long to the hotspot, hoping Will, or some imaginary character on our list, would pull it down. At least this way we'll actually have someone who'll hang on to some marks, and guys like Aker, Gia etc. have been crumbing off, well, crumbs, these last few years and still kicked bagfuls themselves. Crumbing off a Barry Hall will surely be an improvement to just chasing tail all day long. Having already adjusted to living off scraps, the quality of ball on the ground next year will make it seem to Gia, Aker, Hill, Stack etc. like all their Christmases have come at once.

And if you think that Barry will be taking Welsh's spot, it's not as if much changes structurally, we just get a class upgrade in a position that Scott did well to hold down for a while.

Having said all that, of course BBBH is not the be all and end all -- us taking the next step with him is predicated on the rest of the team continuing to hold their form and/or improve, which I think we all reasonably assume, with the age of the group, will be largely the case.

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if he's not the one shot panacea we've been dreaming of?
    What if in fact we struggle to adjust to having a big target in the forward line, and aren't sure how to work off of him?
    What if he snaps and punches Aker just to get him to shut up?

Not trying to be a negative nelly but suddenly he's a big bald bustling Jesus rising up to save us (sorry, religion's not my strong point). In my experience it doesn't usually work out that way. He's also 32 and mental which is good but bad, y'know?
    If all those things happens we basically end up where we have been for the past 55 years. No harm in trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not a messiah, will just add another option in the forward line. We will still need Aker , Hill, Higgins, Johnno to kick around 30 plus goals each.
    I honestly could care less what happens in the regular season. They could all kick 100 goals but it matters little if we don't get to the big dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Welshy, loved having you in the team, you were definately worth the punt and lets just hope BBBBH is also worth the punt.
    It will be nice having Hall in the team just so we have someone who can put the fear of God in opposing teams. If he hits a chin I hope it's Nick Riewoldt's cos it will give him a real reason to dive!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Welshy for the 2 years. Always hated playing the Crows because you always seemed to play well against us. Was glad to hear it when we got you.

Post Thanks / Like

Except for this article by Mark Stevens and Damian Barrett, I can find no other evidence about Welsh's retirement.

Surely he would rate a mention on the AFL's website or the Western Bulldogs website ??

That's not to say the info is not there ... maybe I'm just having a 'boys look'

Anyone else find anything on it, or are Stevens and Barrett speculating ??
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Except for this article by Mark Stevens and Damian Barrett, I can find no other evidence about Welsh's retirement.

Surely he would rate a mention on the AFL's website or the Western Bulldogs website ??

Stevens is the Doggies "in house" HS journo (and Dogs supporter). If he's reporting it it is very likely true.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Farewell Welshy... always liked him, gave two good years of service to the club... best of luck in the future.
    Totally agree, gave everything he had for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When did he kick a bag against them?

From my re-collection his biggest bag was 4 against the Hawks down in Launceston.
    I thought he kicked a few in his first game for us which happened to be against the crows and Johson played his 300th?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post

Welsh Retires
    5:16 PM Wed 23 September, 2009

Welsh Retires

Western Bulldogs forward Scott Welsh has announced his retirement from AFL football after 205 games. In a career spanning almost 15 years with the North Melbourne, Adelaide and Western Bulldogs Football Club’s, the 30 year old finishes his career with 363 goals.

Originally from West Adelaide, Welsh was drafted by the Kangaroos in the 1995 National AFL Draft with pick 17 and after playing in North Melbourne’s 1999 Premiership, was traded to the Adelaide Football Club. He was the Crow’s leading goal kicker in four different seasons before being recruited to the Western Bulldogs.

Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Rodney Eade said the Club had no hesitation in taking Welsh with pick number 4 in the 2008 pre-season draft.

“At the time we needed another option in the forward line and it actually just fell in our lap that Scott Welsh was out of contract. Obviously he could take a contested mark and was a proven goal kicker and we have been really pleased with his performance,” Eade said.

Welsh was hampered by a series of back complaints during Season 2009, but was still able to move into defence and play as a sweeper when required, and according to Eade, his strengths were not limited to his influence on the field.

“I think he really enjoyed that role and we certainly thought it was very beneficial to the team. As a person he was terrific for the Club, he fitted in extremely well and was very popular amongst his teammates. I think apart from his football he really added to the group as well in that sense. He is obviously leaving the Club having made a huge impression and he knows he is welcome back at the Western Bulldogs anytime,” Eade said.

Assistant Coach Paul Williams agreed with Eade and says he will miss Welsh’s influence in the forward line.

“Scott added experience and direction to the forward line, he was very good at helping set up all the structures. He was very much a team first kind of player and would fulfil any role we asked him to do, very selfless,” Williams said.

Welsh now plans to return to his hometown of Adelaide and says he will look back at his time at Whitten Oval with fond memories.

“I just want to thank the Western Bulldogs for giving me the opportunity to play with them over the last couple of years and I wish the Club all the best going forward as they strive for their next premiership,” Welsh said.

In other news at the Western Bulldogs, Wayde Skipper, Cameron Wight and Paul O'Shea have been informed they will be delisted unless an appropriate trade can be negotiated.
    for westernbulldogs.com.au
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bornadog
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if he's not the one shot panacea we've been dreaming of?
    What if in fact we struggle to adjust to having a big target in the forward line, and aren't sure how to work off of him?What if he snaps and punches Aker just to get him to shut up?

We have nothing to lose.
    If Bazza is no good for us so be it.
    At least he can spend a bit of time at training teaching the young pups about being decent forwards.
    All of the above are better than being knocked out in another prelim wondering, what if ?
    Bazza may not be the answer but at least if he isn't we will be one step closer to finding one.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    "He's not the Messiah!!, he's a very naughty boy!...."

Couldn't resist this classic quote.
    Beat me to it.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.