Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs MVP as voted by fans - have you voted?

Quote Originally Posted by the coon dog View Post
    done, voted for brian lake.
    same
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Boydy for me but would fear losing Lake nee Harris more than anyone else

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohanj View Post
    So doesn't that mean that Lake is our 'Most Valuable Player'??

Post Thanks / Like

M.Boyd

Post Thanks / Like

Mantis, you are indeed living up to your name and will have to be on my toes it seems.

I tend to associate the MVP award with best player for a season (or most valued by his on field performances). Was more than happy with Crossy being awarded our 'B&F' last year but still would've regarded Lake as the player we could least afford to have lost. So for me is more to do with performance during the season rather than who is most irreplaceable.

Rightfully so, GAJ has been awarded league MVP last 3 years running although those at Geelong would put Scarlett right up there with GAJ on the 'value' stakes.

Technically though Lake would be most valuable simply because he's that much harder to replace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Mantis, you are indeed living up to your name and will have to be on my toes it seems.

I tend to associate the MVP award with best player for a season (or most valued by his on field performances). Was more than happy with Crossy being awarded our 'B&F' last year but still would've regarded Lake as the player we could least afford to have lost. So for me is more to do with performance during the season rather than who is most irreplaceable.

Rightfully so, GAJ has been awarded league MVP last 3 years running although those at Geelong would put Scarlett right up there with GAJ on the 'value' stakes.

Technically though Lake would be most valuable simply because he's that much harder to replace.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_valuable_player

In sports, a Most Valuable Player (MVP) award is an honor typically bestowed upon the best performing player or players on a specific team, in an entire league, or for a particular contest or series of contests.

In the Australian Football League, the AFL Players Association awards a "Most Valuable Player" award now known as the Leigh Matthews Trophy, voted by peers and considered by many observers of the game to be more indicative of the Best and Fairest player than the Brownlow Medal

I think the above definition covers the practical interpretation of MVP. You could argue it is highest paid player, player that contributed the most relative to their salary (value for money), most irreplacable etc. however it is really a performance based thing
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the most valuable player to be the player who is most valued by his team. In our case Lake would be our most valuable player and Boyd would be our best performed player (subject to opinion)

I wouldn't place much emphasis on a Wikipedia definition likely written by someone who doesn't have any more idea than we do.