Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis will take pay cut to play on

take a 50% paycut and get a 4th premiership ? Its worth all the money in the world. Just ask Chris Grant, Scott west and Rohan smith. All great players for the club.

Aker is a champion and he knows the team is bigger than him, and there are bigger dreams than just some $$$$. Good onya Aker!

Anyhow, he should be rested against some of the lower teams next year to keep him fresh. i.e no travel against freo or port adelaide. Just to brisbane so he can help beat the lions again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You would assume so.
    and why wouldn't he? Where on the list of our most important players this season would he be? Top 5? Why is there an expectation he should make do with the left overs? Was our favourite aging son Johno worth more this year? Were about a dozen others? The guys a champ and the club ought to be rating him more highly than they seem to be

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    and why wouldn't he? Where on the list of our most important players this season would he be? Top 5? Why is there an expectation he should make do with the left overs? Was our favourite aging son Johno worth more this year? Were about a dozen others? The guys a champ and the club ought to be rating him more highly than they seem to be
    I would think the major reason was that at the start of the year Aker declared that the '09 season would be his last and it remained that way til at least after the mid season break.

The club no doubt assumed Aker would not be there in 2010 so has used the money he was on to give other players such as Higgins and hopefully Lake a better deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Aker was always going to have to play on for minimum-ish wage. I think he is fully aware of this, he's been vocal in the media saying how much he wants Hall to join us.

Sure he'd prefer to be well paid, who wouldn't, but when push comes to shove he doesn't have a lot of choice but to take whats left. He might talk more than another player whilst doing it, but that doesnt mean he wont do it.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=macca;118031]take a 50% paycut and get a 4th premiership ? Its worth all the money in the world. Just ask Chris Grant, Scott west and Rohan smith. All great players for the club.
    Aker is a champion and he knows the team is bigger than him, and there are bigger dreams than just some $$$$. Good onya Aker!

Yep, you nailed it Macca - Granty, Westy and Bubba would have traded anything for a premiership medallion I reckon. Go lots of respect for Aker - he is all class

neodog Guest

Acker a true champ he is. Being a decent player he is, he would had earned a bit of coin over this AFL journey and i think it is now time that he wants to give some back. This to me is a sign of man who is fair and kind.

Dare i say this but since Acka has joined the kennel, the Western Bulldogs or F. F. C. has never been heard more in the main stream consciousness than ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neodog View Post

Dare i say this but since Acka has joined the kennel, the Western Bulldogs or F. F. C. has never been heard more in the main stream consciousness than ever.
    And you can add BBBBB next year as well -- we would be as high profile as we've ever been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    take a 50% paycut and get a 4th premiership ? Its worth all the money in the world. Just ask Chris Grant, Scott west and Rohan smith. All great players for the club.
    Aka may be able to live with the three he already has. Different story for those blokes.

dogs den mum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neodog View Post
    Acker a true champ he is. Being a decent player he is, he would had earned a bit of coin over this AFL journey and i think it is now time that he wants to give some back. This to me is a sign of man who is fair and kind.

And maybe the reason he would be willing to accept less for playing footy next year is that the club will allow him to do even more in the media (and thus supplement his income). There may also be an understanding that he will play fewer games next year; not only to give his body more recovery time, but also to allow some of the younger up and coming players to be given some game time.

donnan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Yip! It has got me stumped why we would / should low ball Jason...his worth has been well and truely demonstrated. I know he is overly verbal and can be annoying...but how much 'vanilla' can we stand from our footballers???...he might not always be right, but at least he says what he thinks.

I also reckon his team contribution is really under rated...if you watch him with the other players...he is really supportive, gets around, pumps them up, gives a hug...Top 3 for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnan View Post
    Yip! It has got me stumped why we would / should low ball Jason...his worth has been well and truely demonstrated. I know he is overly verbal and can be annoying...but how much 'vanilla' can we stand from our footballers???...he might not always be right, but at least he says what he thinks.

I also reckon his team contribution is really under rated...if you watch him with the other players...he is really supportive, gets around, pumps them up, gives a hug...Top 3 for me!
    A great team man. Works hard for himself, but works hard for his mates too. I remember him running 60 metres after a goal just to ruffle the hair of a young fringe player whose inspirational play directly caused said goal.

I don't think it's a question of lowballing JA, as someone else posted, his pay cut will be more than made up for by a longer leash from the club.