Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake cooling on Bulldogs

Greg Denham | September 25, 2009

NEGOTIATIONS between the Western Bulldogs and All-Australian Brian Lake hit a stalemate last night after the defender remained unsigned and in limbo.

The Bulldogs were confident they had struck a lucrative four-year deal with the full-back, but mystery now surrounds why Lake has not yet put pen to paper.

Lake, 27, has been offered at least $1.8million over four years, which was initially thought to be enough to secure him for the remainder of his career.

But Lake has been in no hurry to agree to terms, even with a substantial pay rise.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake cooling on Bulldogs

I can't believe this, what is his problem Any idea who the clubs are that are circling? My guess Carlton and Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    I can't believe this, what is his problem Any idea who the clubs are that are circling? My guess Carlton and Essendon.
    Carlton don't have anything to offer. They've sold pick 11. The closest thing they have is Judd.

Essendon, perhaps. Not sure what they have, which they will give up.

Sydney are the cashed up ones.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he'd told Sydney he wasn't interested? So many rumours and so much speculation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Carlton don't have anything to offer. They've sold pick 11. The closest thing they have is Judd.

Essendon, perhaps. Not sure what they have, which they will give up.

Sydney are the cashed up ones.
    We have said all along we wont be trading him so it doesn't really matter what other clubs are offering/ have to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We have said all along we wont be trading him so it doesn't really matter what other clubs are offering/ have to offer.
    If that's the case he has 2 options as I see it:

a) Re- sign with us, or

b) Nominate for the PSD, but whack an extraordinarily large price on his head to deter would be suitors).

If he chooses option b) he's playing a dangerous game.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    If that's the case he has 2 options as I see it:

a) Re- sign with us, or

b) Nominate for the PSD, but whack an extraordinarily large price on his head to deter would be suitors).

If he chooses option b) he's playing a dangerous game.
    Melbourne have the cap room...

I take what you say Mantis, but come 1.30pm on the Friday of trade week, do you think we will hold our mettle?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I take what you say Mantis, but come 1.30pm on the Friday of trade week, do you think we will hold our mettle?
    We have some strong characters in our footy department and in our top office so I hope they keep their word.

From what we have heard we have increased our offer substantially and given Brian an extra year, we have given him what he wants and he still is holding out which is disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne have the cap room...
    Other than the obvious, why would he go to Melbourne who are alot further away from a premiership than we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Other than the obvious, why would he go to Melbourne who are alot further away from a premiership than we are.
    They are probably willing to pay more $$'s which seems to be the only reason why he hasn't signed with us.

Agree that it doesn't make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant if we don't trade him, Melbourne have first pick in the PSD and have the cap space to compensate him too. Not him wishing to go there.

This is getting grubby by Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    They are probably willing to pay more $$'s which seems to be the only reason why he hasn't signed with us.

Agree that it doesn't make sense.
    The media would really hang on him if he did leave us. Especially as we have a golden opportunity next year with BBBB at the kennel.

Post Thanks / Like

The media would really hang on him if he did leave us. Especially as we have a golden opportunity next year with BBBB at the kennel.
    The story should be "Why is life so hard being a bulldogs person, why the **** can't anything just go to plan just once for them".

Post Thanks / Like

I just feel gutted (again) sort our one end and the other end hangs in the balance. Come on Brian stop stuffing us around

Post Thanks / Like

If Brian Lake decides to take a walk - who would be a suitable replacement (not that you can replace an All Australian player, but the dogs might not have a choice).

Could Matt Maguire be a close enough replacement? Or perhaps Nathan Brown (from Collingwood)?

There'll be plenty of "Lake's not going anywhere!" but sometimes you've got to plan for the worst....