Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake cooling on Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Lake leaves, then I will blame him for us missing a GF this year

Seriously though, I have always hated his manager and this just confirms it. A four year contract is a risk for the club and is rarely given to players. I know his manager is trying to get the best for Brian, but I bet he is trying to get the best for himself first.
    Perhaps Lake/Olarenshaw want that extra 20K. 500K a year

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he stays. Just when it was looking good for next year.

If he leaves will we drop out of the 8?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post

I wouldve thought so, in my mind Lake is the key to a grandfinal and beyond. Without him I could easily see us finishing in that 7-9 bracket and the Carltons and Hawthorns going past us.

Would he really leave for a no hoper club like Melbourne or go to a place with at least a semi-decent list like Port? if he definitley is leaving would the next step be to nominate a club ala Judd, Warnock, Burgoyne.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems odd, especially after the talk Brian did with the media in regards to the young girl who gave him some money from her piggy bank to persuade him to stay (ala Chris Grant).

It would be pretty low for him to leave after going public with that story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post

No we won't. St Kilda made the GF this year with Zac Dawson at FB. Lake is overrating himself here -- and to make new demands even though the club has bent over backwards meeting all of his previous demands is bad faith.

If Lake leaves, sure, there'll be a drop down in class, but we'll trade for a developing tall backman from another club and make do with the stopgap. We'll also stop giving up 3 goals a game to Brian's brainfades.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that the recent announcement regarding the improved Etihad deal for next year is having an efect? Suddenly the Dogs have more money in the kitty and given that they weren't intending to spend all their promotional allowance (I know this is not the correct term), Lake and his manager may feel a new calculation is necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

What could the problem be? Four years guarantees him to the end of his career and the money offered isn't something to be sneezed at, maybe his relationship with Eade isn't how its played out in the media though this seems unlikely because he did give Brian his first real break.
    Perhaps he has a problem with Bazza, I know I'm clutching at straws but I thought this was the deal Brian and his management wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    No we won't. St Kilda made the GF this year with Zac Dawson at FB. Lake is overrating himself here -- and to make new demands even though the club has bent over backwards meeting all of his previous demands is bad faith.
    St Kilda relies on a rigid defensive structure to be competitive, not on personnel. By contrast, we rely on personnel far more to carry out our more offensive quick transition game plan. If we want to create that awful defensive 'cage' zone structure with a million stoppages a game, then I agree that we won't need the bees knees best full back in the business. But as Hawthorn have shown this season, structures can be overcome far easier than personnel.

Post Thanks / Like

For %$@#& sake, just sign the bloody contract Brian!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We said we wont trade him.Therefore we can only get the slops in the PSD. Gibson and Tarrant would't last until pick 14. Bou is it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know when Lakes mangement and the Dogs will be having their next meeting ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lake is irreplacable to our structure - only Scarlett is on a par or better as a key defender. We lose Lake and we are much less of a chance to make top 4 let alone a GF in coming years. Automatrically places the likes of Hargrave and Morris into very uncomfortable match-ups every single week, and places overall pressure on the defensive unit that we've spent the last 5 years refining and perfecting.

It's unfortunate but Lake and his management have us over a barrell and they know it. The reality is that we may as well forget about drafting Hall to fill a structural hole up forward when a hole the size of the Grand Canyon is about to be opened up at the other end.
    I agree with what you are saying nevertheless if we can't satisfy his financial demands it is better to get what we can for him. From what I can gather he has been made a very good offer by the Club of 1.8 million over 4 years. If he is holding out for just a few shekels more it reflects on him badly as a person.
    Shame that he doesn't follow a number of the Geelong player's financial ethos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We said we wont trade him.Therefore we can only get the slops in the PSD. Gibson and Tarrant would't last until pick 14. Bou is it.
    Or keep skinny and throw him into the deep end

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Or keep skinny and throw him into the deep end
    Not much choice. Tiller, Everitt and Bou are our cover. Not much compared to what we could lose.

If he walks over such a relatively minor amount and leaves us with no compensation i will despise him 1,000,000,000,000 times more than Brown.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not much choice. Tiller, Everitt and Bou are our cover. Not much compared to what we could lose.
    Surely there are some fringe developed backmen lying around that we could pick up on the cheap. I'm thinking that this may even change the landscape re: Cam Wight.