Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  79
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Famous Bulldog supporters

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Rowland from ABC TV Breakfast

story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Michael Rowland from ABC TV Breakfast

story here
    Ive talked to him a couple of times about the dogs, very passionate supporter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Ive talked to him a couple of times about the dogs, very passionate supporter!
    I talked to him at a game at Ballarat and concur about his passion for the Bulldogs
    He comes across as a very nice guy on the tele and he is no different at a footy game
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bred Bulldog: Scott McLaughlin

Scott McLaughlin has won the past two V8 Supercars championships and the Bathurst 1000, but he rates the Western Bulldogs’ drought-breaking premiership in 2016 alongside those two individual achievements. And he isn’t just saying that.

The 26-year-old may have been born in New Zealand and only spent a fraction of his life in Melbourne, but he has red, white and blue blood coursing through his veins.

It started when McLaughlin and his family relocated from Christchurch to Point Cook. He knew no one in Melbourne and had never heard of our game until his mum suggested he try ‘Aussie Rules’ to help make friends at his primary school.

That was back in 2003 when he raced Go Karts and dreamt about becoming the next Mark Skaife or Marcus Ambrose.

Fast forward nearly two decades and McLaughlin’s obsession with the Western Bulldogs has reached a level where he takes his mobile phone onto the starting grid to get score updates if his race overlaps with a game.

The DJR Team Penske driver was on the grid for a night race in Perth last year when emerging star Aaron Naughton was tearing Richmond apart on an unforgettable Saturday night at Marvel Stadium.

The then 19-year-old slotted five goals and hauled in 14 marks, including nine contested grabs, to lead Luke Beveridge’s men to a stunning 47-point win.

McLaughlin had to wait until after the race to watch the highlights of a performance many compared to Wayne Carey, but it helped inspire him to another win during a brilliant 2019 season.

“I honestly rank the 2016 premiership as the top three all-time sporting moments of my career. I’ve won Bathurst and championships, but watching your team win a grannie – and that whole month – was unreal,” McLaughlin told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I remember the first final against West Coast; I didn’t think we were any chance to win; then they won, and I couldn’t believe it. I don’t think I sat down in my house the whole prelim against GWS. Then the Grand Final, we had a massive party at my house, and it was one of the best days of my life, no word of a lie.

“I 100 per cent no word of a lie put it up alongside those two [V8 supercars championships and Bathurst]. Watching your team win a Grand Final was phenomenal. That whole two weeks of the prelim and Grand Final was so sick. It was such a cool period as a fan.”

McLaughlin has spent time in the Western Bulldogs’ rooms after games in recent years and has built a friendship with Naughton since having the budding star into the pits at Mount Panorama in 2018.

The young West Australian isn’t the only key forward McLaughlin has become tight with during his emergence on the V8 Supercars scene. He now counts Richmond dual premiership star Jack Riewoldt as a close mate after first crossing paths at a Fox Footy shoot a few years ago.

When Riewoldt implored him to sit down with mindfulness expert Emma Murray – who has been one of the hidden weapons behind Richmond’s success since 2016 – at the end of 2017, their relationship changed.

McLaughlin had just coughed up a final round lead to lose the title in heartbreaking circumstances. He had heard Dustin Martin mention Murray’s name after winning the Brownlow Medal, but was sceptical. Now Murray is part of team McLaughlin and continuing to make a name for herself as one of the best mental skills coaches in Australian sport.

“To be honest, I was never a fan of Jack. I thought he was a bit of a flog; he knows that,” McLaughlin laughs.

“When Richmond were in the finals one year, AFL 360 wanted to get Jack into the car before the prelim. Jack got clearance from the team and came out to Sandown one day and we have just stayed in touch ever since.

“We got really close over that off season through the mindfulness stuff. He reached out and helped me with that when he didn’t really have to do that. We’ve got really close and do a podcast together as well. He’s tried so hard to get me on the Richmond bandwagon, but that will never happen.”

Much like the AFL season, the V8 Supercars are gearing up to restart after the coronavirus pandemic pulled the brakes on the campaign at the completion of round two.

McLaughlin will return to racing on June 27 eager to continue his form after finishing second and first in the first two races to lead seven-time winner Jamie Whincup in the standings.

“Initially I wasn’t allowed to really leave my house. Slowly it has started to open up. I’ve been able to do some personal training and a lot of conditioning on my own. I’ve enjoyed that part of it – training myself and getting myself in shape,” he said.

“I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t been hard. But it has been hard for everyone. It is frustrating and been up and down but now we’ve got a date that we’re coming back to race it makes you feel a lot better.”

The first half of 2020 has been challenging for the world. But now the real challenge starts for McLaughlin as he looks to win his third championship in a row – and for the Western Bulldogs, who started the season as one of the premiership favourites.

McLaughlin won’t be in the crowd this season, but he will be watching on from afar, maybe even from inside his Ford Mustang on the starting grid.

6. Thanks bornadog, KT31, merantau thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story Axey. I hope the cops don't read the bit about him taking his mobile with him to the starting grid. They could fine him for using his mobile while driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I talked to him at a game at Ballarat and concur about his passion for the Bulldogs
    He comes across as a very nice guy on the tele and he is no different at a footy game
    As any Bulldog fan should, he went berserk on Twitter last year about the thuggish tip rat in orange (refuse to say his name) and his attacks on Bont. A clear demonstration of his credentials as a die hard.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes merantau, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-jess-jonassen

Bred Bulldog: Jess Jonassen
    This is Australian cricket star Jess Jonassen's story of how she became Bred Bulldog.

Every Western Bulldogs supporter remembers where they were when the club booked its first Grand Final berth since 1961. The lucky ones were inside GIANTS Stadium. Most were crowded around television screens. But one diehard supporter was in the backstreets of Colombo surrounded by the Australian cricket team.

That was Jess Jonassen. The morning after the star allrounder ripped through the Sri Lankans, taking 3-1 in the space of four overs to be named player of the match, she led her teammates to The Cricket Club Cafe to watch one of the most memorable games of the modern era.

They piled into tuk tuks in pairs and watched the Western Bulldogs’ fairy tale September continue in western Sydney, seven days before Luke Beveridge’s men snapped a 62-year premiership drought against the other side from New South Wales.

Jonassen was the only Dogs supporter in the travelling party, but she wasn’t the only one cheering for the red, white and blue inside a building that was adorned with cricket bats and balls, stumps and gloves. It turned out the owners of the café, James and Gabrielle Whight, were originally from Melbourne and barracked for the Western Bulldogs.

The Australians brushed aside the Sri Lankans by 137 runs the following day at the R. Premadasa Stadium to complete a clean sweep of the series 4-0, before winning the only Twenty 20 game a couple of days later.

The 27-year-old returned to Australia just in time for the Grand Final and spent the day in tears, watching from her home in Brisbane. She will never forget that game – or the one before it, for that matter.

“We had to go and source an Australian owned café to watch the prelim final against the Giants. That took a little bit of effort, but there were quite a few AFL supporters in the team,” Jonassen told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“It was pretty much the whole Australian team. One of the other girls Erin Osborne is a Giants supporter so we were having a go at each other the whole way through. The whole time I was thinking to myself, I hope we win otherwise I’ll never live this down.

“All the Aussie team were there. A few Australians who were holidaying there were watching. It was just in a random back street, but it was an amazing café. We spent hours there.

“As soon as we won that game the realisation hit that we were actually in a Grand Final. I was on cloud nine after the siren with my chest out very happy. It made for a good last few days of the tour.”

Unlike most Western Bulldogs supporters, Jonassen didn’t grow up in the western suburbs of Melbourne, or even in Victoria. She grew up in rugby heartland, smack bang in the middle of Queensland, more than nine hours away from the Gabba.

For a girl growing up in Emerald, football was never an option for Jonassen, but that didn’t stop her loving it when she was a kid. Her dad is from Broken Hill and played locally when she was young, helping her love affair with the Western Bulldogs blossom.

With the explosion of AFLW in the past handful of years, Jonassen has no doubt she would have given our game a decent crack if the opportunity was there. Although things have still turned out pretty well for her.

“Dad was from Broken Hill and one of his old guernseys was a Footscray jumper. We were always watching every sport on TV. We were more of an AFL family than an NRL family which was quite bizarre being from Queensland,” she said.

“He got out that guernsey one day when the Doggies were playing on TV. Tony Liberatore and Brad Johnson were playing, and they won and I was hooked from that moment on; I’ve been following them ever since, from about the age of 10.

“At that stage my dad was still playing locally and we would always go down as a family and kick the footy. I was always out there kicking the ball in the backyard, even by myself kicking it up in the air trying to mark it.

“There was no avenue for me to be able to play back then, but I always loved watching it and a real passion for it from then. It would have been a different story if we had the pathway of AFLW back then, I probably would have tried my hand at that.”

Days before AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan was forced to suspend the 2020 AFL season for more than three months due to the coronavirus pandemic in March, Jonassen snuck in one last appearance for Australia in what was the biggest moment of her career to date.

Jonassen claimed three wickets in the Twenty 20 World Cup Final in front of 86,174 people at the MCG, helping the Australians dismantle India in the decider before dancing on stage alongside Katy Perry in the aftermath.

With the entire world brought to a standstill, Australia’s tour of South Africa wasn’t the only thing that was postponed in Jonassen’s life.

“We just managed to get our World Cup final in and then the whole world shut down. We were actually meant to fly to South Africa before it really hit off. We missed out on that last tour of the season for us, and for a lot of us, it would have been our first time over there for us. It was a bit of a shame,” she said.

“I was supposed to get married in the first week of May, so we’ve had to postpone our wedding until next year. Isolation didn’t start off too well. But you just find new ways to live.

“While it has been a really challenging time for the whole world, one positive from a personal point of view, is I have had the chance to spend a lot more time at home. We are so used to travelling a lot more, so it was nice to feel settled and connect with life at home again.”

The return of the AFL season has been a happy distraction from the unknown of life in 2020.

Just like a return to form proved to be last Friday night for Jonassen’s beloved Bulldogs.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

11. Likes WBFC4FFC, Twodogs, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that the two dogs called Barney and Rubble watching the footy in the AAMI commercial with the weirdo twins are doggies supporters.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a Celebrity Supporter Draft? And if so it must be our pick soon? I heard Harry Styles went to North and Ed Shearen is at the Saints. I remember we got Tim Cahill in 2016 and his contribution in a premiership year was telling. Best pick over my life is probably Carlton and ABBA. Who should we pick?

Maybe it’s Zonal recruiting or just first to get the top on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Is there a Celebrity Supporter Draft? And if so it must be our pick soon? I heard Harry Styles went to North and Ed Shearen is at the Saints. I remember we got Tim Cahill in 2016 and his contribution in a premiership year was telling. Best pick over my life is probably Carlton and ABBA. Who should we pick?

Maybe it’s Zonal recruiting or just first to get the top on?
    I mean, if you want the biggest reach, you gotta get Tay-Tay. Swift and Baz Smith would give us most of Insta.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I mean, if you want the biggest reach, you gotta get Tay-Tay. Swift and Baz Smith would give us most of Insta.
    Is she available? Might cost us a first rounder?
    I also heard Richmond might be in the market as they lost George Pell last year.

17. Likes WBFC4FFC, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not that mug who lied the migrants were throwing babies overboard to exploit Australia's latent racism and get voted in! Scumbag with no heart. Was only buying votes in granting FFC funding.
    A turd who represents nothing of FFC values in fact the opposite!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Not that mug who lied the migrants were throwing babies overboard to exploit Australia's latent racism and get voted in! Scumbag with no heart. Was only buying votes in granting FFC funding.
    Rocket: "Kevin is coming for you ol' cock"...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Lakey so relaxed he's fallen asleep.