Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  79
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Famous Bulldog supporters

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Whatever happened to Brad Murphy. From memory he only played a few games and kicked 5 goals in one of them.

Last heard of coaching Melton.

http://websites.sportstg.com/club_in...cleID=30277184
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Thanks for that. Any idea why he was moved on? He was young and only played a few games and I'm sure he booted five in one of them.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Thanks for that. Any idea why he was moved on? He was young and only played a few games and I'm sure he booted five in one of them.
    He had 25 possessions and kicked 2 goals in his first game but it was all downhill from there. Finished with 7 games and 6 goals over 2 seasons. 2 goals was his best haul.

I have read questions over his character in the past, overly confident for someone who hadn't achieved anything much. I'm sure others would know more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He had 25 possessions and kicked 2 goals in his first game but it was all downhill from there. Finished with 7 games and 6 goals over 2 seasons. 2 goals was his best haul.

I have read questions over his character in the past, overly confident for someone who hadn't achieved anything much. I'm sure others would know more.

Yeah but there's what you know (or more accurately what you have heard) and what you can blurt out in public.

Post Thanks / Like

Very early on when he arrived at the club he flipped the bird to Brad Johnson after beating him in a one on one drill so yes he was a confident young lad. I think his mates used to tell him how good he was and he really believed them.

He had ability and should have done better
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Very early on when he arrived at the club he flipped the bird to Brad Johnson after beating him in a one on one drill so yes he was a confident young lad. I think his mates used to tell him how good he was and he really believed them.

He had ability and should have done better
    Yes, he could have given it a much better shot - didnt seem prepared to do the harder, team oriented stuff - basically didn't mature as a footballer - just wanted to get on the end of it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up re Brad Murphy.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

He left Melton last year , Timms took over, from Albion and really made an impact with a grand final appearance using 21 of the 22 players from juniors.
    I think I read Murphy was coaching somewhere else.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Yes, he could have given it a much better shot - didnt seem prepared to do the harder, team oriented stuff - basically didn't mature as a footballer - just wanted to get on the end of it

Yep, he didn't want to do the team oriented stuff like taking your opponent to places where the ball isnt going to go or sitting your opponent on his arse when the ball is at the other end of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Apparently the PM is a "supporter". I am sure his favourite player is Israel Falou.

Article Link

Edit : paywall

-----------------------------

Scott Morrison has portrayed himself as a one-eyed Cronulla Sharks fan but it wasn’t that long ago that he preferred rugby union while also being a supporter of the AFL’s Western Bulldogs.

Mr Morrison has publicly declared he was a fan of the Western Bulldogs and called AFL a “great game” and the AFL grand final the “greatest show in Oz”, despite last week saying he did not have an AFL team.

The Prime Minister’s quotes about AFL — made in 2009 — are reminiscent of fellow Sydneysider Malcolm Turnbull calling the Melbourne-based game “the most exciting football code”, to the chagrin of working-class NRL fans in his home state.

Mr Morrison, who last week tasked comedian Peter Helliar with finding him an AFL team, even bragged he was singing the Western Bulldogs’ theme song after the team had a win in 2009.

“(Scott Morrison) is singing sons of the west, red, white and blue, we’ll come out snarling bulldogs thru and thru (sic) go doggies,” Mr Morrison tweeted.

He said he supported the Victorian team instead of the Sydney Swans because then Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade introduced him to the “great game”.

“And loyalty counts,” Mr Morrison tweeted.

Mr Morrison has promoted his links with rugby league since gaining the Liberal leadership last month, appearing on the NRL Footy Show while taking every opportunity to talk up his team, the Cronulla Sharks.

Even on his way into the ballot, the only comments he made were in reference to the Sharks’ game that weekend.

“My only tip is that the Sharks will beat Newcastle,” he told tradies at Parliament House.

But in 2010, the then second-term MP said he preferred rugby union to rugby league, while in 2015 he described how he “grew up on rugby”.

“I’m more of a rugby fan, but naturally when it comes to the NRL, the Sharks have my loyalty,” Mr Morrison tweeted.

In 2012, he declared rugby union “will always be my game”.

“But the (AFL grand final) is the greatest show in Oz,” he tweeted.

Rugby union is popular in private schools and affluent parts of Sydney, with rugby league largely the game of the working class.

Mr Morrison, who has tried to distance himself from Mr Turnbull’s “Mr Harbourside Mansion” image, did a press conference in his first week in the job while holding the Steeden ball used in rugby league games.

He earlier showed off his skills with the rugby league players at Sydney’s Endeavour Sports High School and watched the Sharks lose to the Sydney Roosters in Sydney on Saturday night.
    So we have the prime minister firmly in our pocket now. Now we want some 'Corangamite' treatment for our home ground. Maybe just $50,000,000 to start with.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we did alright out of Howard. And we had Gillard as well!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Bulldog4life, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read a article on James Sicily recently where he said he was a Bulldogs supporter growing up, I would really rather he wasn't!

Post Thanks / Like

I read a article on James Sicily recently where he said he was a Bulldogs supporter growing up, I would really rather he wasn't!
    Absolutely. I'm with you there.

I read and save a lot of 100+ year old match reports on Trove and there is a Sicily who played for Footscray mentioned in quite a few of them that got me wondering if he was a relative?