Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Public Housing for Whitten Oval

On page 20 of today's Herald Sun, there is an article about a $90 million housing plan the Bulldogs are pursuing.

Apparently the club has formed a partnership with HomeGround Services and developer Saracen Properties.

I can't seem to find the link online, but what do people know about this?

It's actually the first i have heard of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Public Housing for Whitten Oval

Bulldogs plan tackles affordable housing
    MELISSA FYFE, ROYCE MILLAR - THE AGE
    October 11, 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bu...1010-grmo.html

Some of the western suburbs' most vulnerable residents - including the homeless - could find themselves living in new apartments on the edge of Footscray's Whitten Oval, under an ambitious plan spearheaded by the Western Bulldogs.

The Sunday Age can reveal the Bulldogs are asking for $90 million of federal Nation Building funds to develop 251 affordable and social housing units at the Geelong Road end of the club's home ground.

But the proposal provoked an angry rebuke from the Maribyrnong City Council. .

''We have ample space to embed social housing in the general community - why create an enclave?'' said Mayor Michael Clarke.

But the Bulldogs, in partnership with housing provider HomeGround Services and private building company Saracen, say they are trying to improve the chronic shortage of affordable housing in the west.

''We think this is part and parcel of what we, as a community club, need to provide to our community, a place that has greater needs than all other parts of Melbourne,'' said club president David Smorgon.

The proposal allows for between 50 and 100 units based on the Common Ground model, where the most vulnerable and chronically homeless are provided with on-site support. These apartments will also be available to low-income earners.

The balance of the apartments will be affordable accommodation for people such as nurses and hospitality and essential services workers who are being priced out of the inner city. The proposal has not made the first cut of approved projects under the federal Nation Building fund, but the State Government, which approves the Victorian projects seeking Commonwealth funds, remained open to ''continuing discussions'' on an affordable housing development on the site, a spokesman said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post

But the proposal provoked an angry rebuke from the Maribyrnong City Council.
    Big ****ing surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll stay in the Eastern suburbs, thanks.

I might venture over for a Pimms or a G&T if we win the premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesnt matter how good the idea is if its related to the Western Bulldogs the council is all against it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea in theory. But I thought that the idea of public/social housing being grouped in one area had gone by the wayside...as the Mayor seems to be saying.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Public Housing for Whitten Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

The way you drink you better stick to the light stuff and leave the Pimms and G&T to the Misses.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

If we were to win the premiership I'd definitely be heading west for a drink or 12!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea in theory. But I thought that the idea of public/social housing being grouped in one area had gone by the wayside...as the Mayor seems to be saying.
    I would have thought the only way possible to make money from public housing would be through Goverment grants etc.
    I understand they will need a grant to start but would this be benificial to the club in the future, surely a retirement village or nursing home would be a better assett to the club.

Especially considering our forward line.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I would have thought the only way possible to make money from public housing would be through Goverment grants etc.
    I understand they will need a grant to start but would this be benificial to the club in the future, surely a retirement village or nursing home would be a better assett to the club.

Especially considering our forward line
    Nice one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post

Especially considering our forward line.
    Or a psychiatric hospital for the big bald bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Or a psychiatric hospital for the big bald bloke.
    I'll tell him you said that.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the Past Players lunch on Sunday.

David Smorgon had a bit to say about the local council and the crap they carry on with every time the Dogs try and do something.

Always ends up in court.

The Dogs are hoping to have a court ruling on the Edgewater development by Xmas.

Post Thanks / Like

publich housing a bad idea. It will blead money. Better off leaving the government and DHS to deal with it. DHS are trying to sell the old, run down and torn up houses by their tenants. If you want the whitten oval to cop the social stigma and toilet bowl facade of public housing go ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    publich housing a bad idea. It will blead money. Better off leaving the government and DHS to deal with it. DHS are trying to sell the old, run down and torn up houses by their tenants. If you want the whitten oval to cop the social stigma and toilet bowl facade of public housing go ahead.
    Hi Macca.

What you have posted is an understandable layperson's reading of the term 'public housing', but you will find that the stereotype you present is an anachronism of a 50s - 70s model of public housing (the 'projects' that we have in many parts of our city).

More recently, however, there are many examples of exemplary medium-density public housing projects from all around the world (some right here in our own backyard! See the architectural award winning refurbishment of the Port Melbourne RSL into public housing by the City of Port Philip as an example, also some great projects by the City of Monash), based on best-practice research into community architecture (mostly based on public/private partnership models) that works really well (and are value-add -- some of these well-designed projects have been growing equity-wise at greater than market rates), which I believe the Whitten Oval proposal is based on.