Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mathew Robbins - In the team this week?

After kicking 6 goals with the Bees this week, it would be good to see Robbins back in the side. Not to sure on how the Dogs rate him at the moment but surely he is deserving of selection this week.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on Robbo and his bulldog future.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mathew Robbins - In the team this week?

Structurally who would he replace?

Is his lack of versatility damning him in Eade's eyes?
    Last edited by Dry Rot; 14-05-2007 at 11:53 PM.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    After kicking 6 goals with the Bees this week, it would be good to see Robbins back in the side. Not to sure on how the Dogs rate him at the moment but surely he is deserving of selection this week.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on Robbo and his bulldog future.
    Love to see him back but who do you drop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love to see him back but who do you drop?
    My point re structure. It won't be Higgins or Aker.

Harbrow? Maybe, but I'd rather see Faulkner in ahead of Robbins.

Perhaps history will show that Robbins was a good stop gap while Murphy, Higgins, Darcy and Hahn were out?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

If Johnson is up for head butting Holland, Robbins would be the best player to replace him.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

I think Hahn will keep him out. Hahn is great marking/pressuring, more so than the crumbers keeping him out. When Murphy gets back, we'll have a lot of marking targets in the forward line, and I don't think there'll be room for Robbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    I think Hahn will keep him out. Hahn is great marking/pressuring, more so than the crumbers keeping him out. When Murphy gets back, we'll have a lot of marking targets in the forward line, and I don't think there'll be room for Robbo.
    What about if Johnno gets suspended? Holland had a fair bit of blood.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Johnson goes out this week, Robbo would certainly be the man looked at to come in. I'm not too convinced anything will come of the Johnno incident, but you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see him back in the team, I cant believe a guy of his talent has only been a stop gap, I think the issue has more been his form has been a bit patchy pre and early season and its not the easiest position to work your way back into form. But 10 goals in two games would seem to be a pretty good foundation for promotion.

I wonder if he is the perfect player to negate the influence of Heath Shaw this week, who has been cutting teams up as a rebounding half back. In the final last year Robbo and Johnson worried Collingwood because of their pace and leading abilities. If Clement isn't right I think we might stretch Collingwood in this area. They kept shuffling Clement from Robbo to Johnno and back again.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbrow has been better than Robbins at AFL level this year. I cannot see any reason why Robbins would replace him.

The truth is that Higgins is playing in his spot - he needs to earn his place back through weight of goals over a period of weeks, not a one week deal. He has been following a bit of a selection yo-yo this year, and probably deserves better than that given his consistent performances over the last few years. His best chance to establish a spot in the team is to play a Werribee for a few weeks, and be selected when he is in red-hot form and full of confidence - and therefore likely to put 2 or 3 good ones together at AFL level and get a few 'credits' in the bank with the match committee.

He simply is not deserving of a spot at the moment.

(Then again, Street was not deserving of selection vs Melbourne, and that turned out alright, so what do I know!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Harbrow has been better than Robbins at AFL level this year. I cannot see any reason why Robbins would replace him.

The truth is that Higgins is playing in his spot - he needs to earn his place back through weight of goals over a period of weeks, not a one week deal. He has been following a bit of a selection yo-yo this year, and probably deserves better than that given his consistent performances over the last few years. His best chance to establish a spot in the team is to play a Werribee for a few weeks, and be selected when he is in red-hot form and full of confidence - and therefore likely to put 2 or 3 good ones together at AFL level and get a few 'credits' in the bank with the match committee.

He simply is not deserving of a spot at the moment.

(Then again, Street was not deserving of selection vs Melbourne, and that turned out alright, so what do I know!)
    Agree with this Mike.

Difference with Robbins and Street is that Street replaced someone who was down on form, whereas Higgins and Harbrow have both been offering a bit.

I've been surprised that few people rated Harbrow's game. He came on late in the first quarter, got a coupe of touches, and then with 8 touches in the second was a pretty important part of us getting on top in that term. He showed he's got a decent right foot and that he's comfortable swinging straight onto that if need be, which was good to see. And he provided some nice zip - he's a bit like a smaller Murphy at times in his ability to lead up into the ground and then get the ball moving. Spent a bit of time in defence in the third quarter on Green I think, was in the centre square for at least one bounce, and then didn't get much of it in the rest of the game but a pretty promising effort for game 2 all up.

Aker is another whose inclusion is limiting Robbins' chances, and I agree with McMahon#23 that Hahn's return is a further impediment for Robbins.

I can understand that all this might be a bit frustrating for Robbins, but it's good for us to have players like him, Power (and Minson to a certain extent) trying to force their way back in. Hopefully it means that when he gets a chance he'll be both in form and super hungry, though he'll need to translate the hunger into defensive pressure rather than selfishness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I wonder if he is the perfect player to negate the influence of Heath Shaw this week, who has been cutting teams up as a rebounding half back. In the final last year Robbo and Johnson worried Collingwood because of their pace and leading abilities. If Clement isn't right I think we might stretch Collingwood in this area. They kept shuffling Clement from Robbo to Johnno and back again.
    That is an excellent point. Robbins is our best defensive forward and Shaw a good attacking defender. Might be an idea to play Shaw the same way that the Crows played Gilbee.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    I've been surprised that few people rated Harbrow's game.
    Harbrow was really good - impacted the contest and caused Melbourne some problems. If Tom Williams played like that, there would be some people calling for him to be elevated immediately to the leadership group, if not directly usurping Johnno as captain (effective this week) and potentially also taking charge of the huddle from Eade at each of the breaks.

Harbrow has played well in his appearances so far. He played consistently well at Werribee. He played well in the pre-season. I am really not sure what more he could have done as a 1st year player...maybe convert a couple of the opportunities he has created into goals I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Harbrow has played well in his appearances so far. He played consistently well at Werribee. He played well in the pre-season. I am really not sure what more he could have done as a 1st year player...maybe convert a couple of the opportunities he has created into goals I guess.
    There was one moment in the 2nd term where he gathered the ball just outside 50 and swung immediately onto his right, where I thought he could've turned onto his left taken a few steps and gone for goal. This is the kind of thing he's done with success at Werribee and should come with confidence (and shouldn't be forced anyway).

He's clearly earnt his spot, made an impact in his first game, and made a bigger impact in his second. Can't see how it can be good management to drop him again after this performance, especially since as a rookie he might only be available for a few more games this season (depending on further major injuries).

Post Thanks / Like

Well would you bring in Robbins for Addison?