Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs delist O'Keefe and Lynch

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    In what is turning out to look like a pretty hot draft (and the last fully uncompromised one for a quite a few years), did we err in not keeping a couple of extra selections up our sleeve for the 2008 ND? The minimal cost of paying out Cam Wight 12 months earlier and delisting someone like O'Shea (who was always coming from a long way back) might have allowed us to get better purchase into the 2008 ND. I'll bow to the better judges, but 5 selections in the 2008 ND would have seemed to give us a better shot at unearthing quality than 4 selections in the 2009 ND, especially considering we are looking at using 1-2 selections in the up-coming ND at potentially re-drafting players we have just delisted.
    SOme very good points Sedat. I think we will take one of them, I think all the hammy talk about Lynch makes me suspicious that they are talking him down and perhaps he is it. Compounding the problem in the number of older players on the list. Sure Wallis and Libba will offset the impact, but that's good luck, not good management for next year in the 1st GC draft.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've been challenging that for a few months now and it's why I thought we should have cut the list hard this year.
    I know we can't replace Eagleton on the senior list but we would get an extra pick on the rookie draft if he isn't maintained.

At least we have the option of some father son picks next year.
    Who else would you cut?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not keen on 4 picks this year Comrade?
    I'm with you in thinking last year was the draft to go hard at.

At least 2 of our 4 picks (4th and 5th round) are going to be highly speculative this year, where as last year, I felt there were more potential gems to be had late in the draft.

At the end of the day, it's all academic. We just have to back in our first year recruiting manager to secure some gold.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who else would you cut?
    May not need to cut anyone else but I do think given the age of our list Eagleton probably shouldn't go on.

Post Thanks / Like

Lynch and GOK could get redrafted, but I reckon if the club haven't seen enough in the two years they've had, we should cut our losses.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm suprised that both Shaw and White have been delisted as it seems the AFL have decided to allow clubs to keep on rookies for a 3rd year.

From AFL.com
    Other aspects of the new rookie rules include:

* Any payment above the minimum payment for rookies to be included in the Total Player Payments (TPP).
    * This amendment to apply until the end of the 2012 season when the number of mature age rookies would reduce to the current level of one per club
    * That clubs have the right to retain rookie list players for three seasons without having to enter the draft, subject to the player being given the option of entering the NAB AFL Draft.
    Shaw in particular might have provided handy back up if disaster strikes our ruck division next year.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Shaw in particular might have provided handy back up if disaster strikes our ruck division next year.
    In light of that rule change I am astonished Shaw didn't get another year.

We were discussing whether we would be delisting Skipper and I asked Rocket if he would risk going into next season with only Roughead and Cordy as backup to Hudson and Minson and he said, "it would be a massive risk. We could only use Roughead, I wouldn't risk Cordy in the ruck next year."

It seems to me Shaw would have been a good, cheap emergency backup. He was already 19 when we rookied him originally, that would make him 22 next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    In light of that rule change I am astonished Shaw didn't get another year.

We were discussing whether we would be delisting Skipper and I asked Rocket if he would risk going into next season with only Roughead and Cordy as backup to Hudson and Minson and he said, "it would be a massive risk. We could only use Roughead, I wouldn't risk Cordy in the ruck next year."

It seems to me Shaw would have been a good, cheap emergency backup. He was already 19 when we rookied him originally, that would make him 22 next year.
    When was this, before or after Everitt showed something in the role in round 22?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Wing_Nut Guest

I would suggest the delistings of a number of rookies points to either Lynch or O'Keefe being redrafted as a rookie for next year. Considering this draft is deemed quiet weak, I'd say there's a good chance one will redrafted.

I'd prefer Lynch as he seems to have a much larger upside than O'Keefe. Hopefully he can get his body and mind right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    When was this, before or after Everitt showed something in the role in round 22?
    Why is Everitt relevant?

Post Thanks / Like

I would think if we get down to our last pick and there ain't much around we would seriously consider re-drafting Lynch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Why is Everitt relevant?
    Probably to do with playing a Ruck role when he came into the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Probably to do with playing a Ruck role when he came into the side.
    I can't see that happening very often again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can't see that happening very often again.
    No neither can I.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would think if we get down to our last pick and there ain't much around we would seriously consider re-drafting Lynch.
    It could pan out that way but I think it's time to look elsewhere. He's got the talent but he just isn't consistent enough.