Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Johno to take a Pay Cut to Keep the Eagle!

Brad Johnson has indicated to the club on behalf of a group of players that they will take a pay cut to keep Nathan Eagleton at the club.....

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfn...147842209.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johno to take a Pay Cut to Keep the Eagle!

Great news, Johnno is just a dead set legend. I wonder who the other senior players may be?

Also, interesting tid bit at the end, talking about the Child Care centre and inferring that it may have caused a few issues between Lake and Eagleton. From memory, wasn't Cooney involved in this venture too?

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't it make you proud? Johnno showing true leadership, what a great gesture from the senior players.

btw, if the leadership group is so keen to keep Eagle that they've offered to make this sacrifice, they must really value his contribution (even though there have been some comments on here bagging him a bit).

Post Thanks / Like

That is indeed pleasing news to read stealing a page from the recent Geelong book of self sacrifice. Good on you Johnno and the other lads leading the charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Great gesture by the players involved. If they are that desperate to keep Eagle that they are willing to take pay cuts then that's a good enough reason for me for him to play on. I only hope that it's good enough for all the Eagleton bashers out there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly spat my weet-bix out when I read this article this morning.

NO!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

NO!!!!!!
    Haha when i saw the story i was looking forward to your response.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Johnno & other senior players.

Post Thanks / Like

Just can't help contrasting this to the Lake 'saga'. Completely contrasting attitudes, and while the Brian story was hyped by the media, the difference is still palpable, one was about 'me', one was about team.

Sure, we can say that Brian was underpaid previously, and Johnno is probably on very good coin as it is, but it's still very good.

Ps. I REALLY like how the club has used the Eagle situation too to maybe recalibrate some too-high salaries of some of the senior players while making them feel like they're contributing to the future success of the club.

Post Thanks / Like

NO!!!!!!
    Wow, what a great leader Johnno is. And let's not forget to mention the unnamed senior players who have also agreed.

Mantis, I'm interested to know why you dislike Eagleton so much? I've always been a bit of a critic too, but he's slowly won me over with his durability and ability to respond to the pressures applied to him by the coaches. I mean, I'm still quick to jump off at times, but when we talk about Eagle in hindsight it will be hard not to acknowledge that he has in fact had a terrific career.

As a close friend of mine says "He's a midget. The fact that he even made it to the AFL is a miracle".

Post Thanks / Like

I know some supporters will be a bit miffed if Eagleton stays, and it's not like he can't go on again, his body seems sound, but i believe something like this could be the difference between thinking you have a shot and KNOWING you have a realistic shot at a Premiership.

For the players to take a bit of a cut to keep players there, the generally believe they can go all the way, and not just have hope, and that real belief will the difference in the end.

Will Eagleton be the difference? Probably not, but the overall feeling in the group will be and making those sacrifices for team success, it is just as much a mental mind set than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    Wow, what a great leader Johnno is. And let's not forget to mention the unnamed senior players who have also agreed.

Mantis, I'm interested to know why you dislike Eagleton so much? I've always been a bit of a critic too, but he's slowly won me over with his durability and ability to respond to the pressures applied to him by the coaches. I mean, I'm still quick to jump off at times, but when we talk about Eagle in hindsight it will be hard not to acknowledge that he has in fact had a terrific career.

As a close friend of mine says "He's a midget. The fact that he even made it to the AFL is a miracle".
    My before mentioned post was in jest, like most of my posts on the bald one are, well sometimes at least.

It is no secret he isn't one of my favourites, I feel that when the whips start cracking, he goes missing, especially in big games (his finals record is pretty poor for such an experienced player).

I am sure he will be given ample opportunties this year (if he is re-signed which looks likely), but I just hope that our young guys step up next year to really challenge the likes of Eagleton for a spot in the senior team because to take the next step our side needs to improve and personally I don't see Eagleton as part of our improved side.

Post Thanks / Like

NO!!!!!!
    I feel your pain, my brother!!

Post Thanks / Like

I bet we never find out who the players are that put their hand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Johno to take a Pay Cut to Keep the Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I bet we never find out who the players are that put their hand up.
    I bet you TCD does.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.