Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johno to take a Pay Cut to Keep the Eagle!

Great to see it's about winning a flag and keeping the core group together.
    I thought Johnno might have relinquished the captaincy next season , but now I hope not.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    My before mentioned post was in jest, like most of my posts on the bald one are, well sometimes at least.

It is no secret he isn't one of my favourites, I feel that when the whips start cracking, he goes missing, especially in big games (his finals record is pretty poor for such an experienced player).

I am sure he will be given ample opportunties this year (if he is re-signed which looks likely), but I just hope that our young guys step up next year to really challenge the likes of Eagleton for a spot in the senior team because to take the next step our side needs to improve and personally I don't see Eagleton as part of our improved side.
    Spot on Mantis I think he will be the starting wingman next year and hopefully gets overtaken during the year by the likes of Hill and Stack
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure he will be given ample opportunties this year (if he is re-signed which looks likely), but I just hope that our young guys step up next year to really challenge the likes of Eagleton for a spot in the senior team because to take the next step our side needs to improve and personally I don't see Eagleton as part of our improved side.
    Either.

Perhaps the club is keen to re-sign Eagleton because of the injuries to Wood and Reid? Both these two look the most capable of our younger brigade but they've had fairly big operations which will set them back. For a young player, it's exactly what you don't need.

Club might view holding onto Eagle as important in this regard - particularly for the first half of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly spat my weet-bix out when I read this article this morning.

NO!!!!!!
    I agree wholeheartedly. WTF.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket's only doing this so that 'The Bald Eagle' thread can get to 100 pages

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Rocket's only doing this so that 'The Bald Eagle' thread can get to 100 pages
    And is one of few in the team who can avoid a flood and kick a goal from 55m.
    Not sure about Stack but Hill can't.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

very commendable act from our group. The dibs on the Eagle is his failure in the real crunch games i.e prelim finals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLC66 View Post
    Doesn't it make you proud? Johnno showing true leadership, what a great gesture from the senior players.

btw, if the leadership group is so keen to keep Eagle that they've offered to make this sacrifice, they must really value his contribution (even though there have been some comments on here bagging him a bit).
    No doubt he is popular in the playing group but I wonder if this will really help the side.
    Johnson is such a great team man it's no wonder he was the first to put his hand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No doubt he is popular in the playing group but I wonder if this will really help the side.
    I'm not really sold either way on Nathan staying or going.

He's a competent and consistent flat track bully which should help us to get over the line in games we should otherwise win but at times struggle to do so. He is also more than familiar with our game plan and his role in that and would seem respected by his team mates.

On the flip side though and has often been commented on he can go missing in the crunch games and in crunch moments but then he also has some mates at times in this category.

I'm slightly inclined to err on the side of retaining him for coverage and for tactical match ups so long as development of his successor through 2010 is not impeded by Nathan filling a regular senior spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much agree with your entire post Doc. Well put.