Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Making 2010 GF a must for Dogs: Eade

RODNEY Eade expects the Western Bulldogs to make the grand final in 2010 after falling one game short in both 2008 and 2009.

The Bulldogs have already secured the services of power forward Barry Hall and have re-signed another key pillar in defender Brian Lake.

Eade said even without the arrival of Hall, he believed his side would be expected to make next year's decider after their brave preliminary final loss to St Kilda in September.

"To finish like we did this year, the expectation, and certainly the internal expectation, is that we'll make the grand final at least [next year]," Eade told afl.com.au.

The Dogs were beaten by just seven points in the thrilling preliminary final, just 12 months after losing last year's prelim by 29 points to Geelong.

Eade said his players headed off on their annual break with a different sense of hurt this time around, having believed they were capable of winning through to the deciding game.

"Last year it was more they realised how close they were after the game, and this year, they realised that before the game and that's why it has hurt them more," he said.

"There's a different mindset. They knew they were good enough this time, and they know they're not far away.

"It's certainly hurt them. They were certainly stung by the loss because they did work extremely hard. I've got no doubt it will strengthen their resolve again to take that next step."

The Bulldogs will commence their pre-season training on Monday 23 November.

More here
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making 2010 GF a must for Dogs: Eade

Making every GF is a must for the Bulldogs. No single year is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Eade says the Dogs' Bill Davoren-led program, which will focus more on individual-based training this year, will signal the start of their 2010 premiership campaign.
    Best part of the article, IMO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Making every GF is a must for the Bulldogs. No single year is different.
    What's with the signature?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What's with the signature?
    I think Easton will become an integral part of our side. Just trying to making the call early. Reminds me of Gilbee and i hope he'll blossom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    I think Easton will become an integral part of our side. Just trying to making the call early. Reminds me of Gilbee and i hope he'll blossom.
    Oh, that's fine. With the angry face I thought it was more insidious.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that's fine. With the angry face I thought it was more insidious.
    Yeah, I thought that too.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

The bit that interests me is this:

Eade said just Reid and Tiller would be unable to complete the bulk of the pre-Christmas training, but expected everyone to be "right to go and available to play" in early to mid-February.

I was worried that with the number of players that underwent surgery that we could end up with quite a few having limited pre seasons, which in turn leads to slow starts to the year, ala Cooney this year (and 2007). It's pleasing to know that almost everyone should be fully fit come round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Best part of the article, IMO.
    I hope we see that same statement for many years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    RODNEY Eade expects the Western Bulldogs to make the grand final in 2010 after falling one game short in both 2008 and 2009.
    But of course there are at least four clubs expecting the same thing in 2010. Hopefully our expectation trumps theirs and post '98 is not in any way revisited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    But of course there are at least four clubs expecting the same thing in 2010. Hopefully our expectation trumps theirs and post '98 is not in any way revisited.
    The difference with 98 is that the curve is the other way round this time -- 98 we were further away than 97, so the curve was already downwards. This time, 09 was definitely better than 08, so the curve is upwards, and the team is also still in its prime (and developing!).

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. The downside is that Johnno, Aker, Eagleton and Hudson will not be any quicker or better. Still a question mark surrounds Barry Hall. Centre half back is still a worry given Tom Williams history. The game revolves around the midfield. That is why Cooney, Griffen, Boyd and Cross all up and running is critical given the strength of Geelong who are the pacesetters in the midfield. The improvement of Higgins, Ward and Picken plus the possibility of a couple of other youngsters in Wood, Roughhead and Boumann taking the next step is important in being able to put pressure on the older players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. The downside is that Johnno, Aker, Eagleton and Hudson will not be any quicker or better. Still a question mark surrounds Barry Hall. Centre half back is still a worry given Tom Williams history. The game revolves around the midfield. That is why Cooney, Griffen, Boyd and Cross all up and running is critical given the strength of Geelong who are the pacesetters in the midfield. The improvement of Higgins, Ward and Picken plus the possibility of a couple of other youngsters in Wood, Roughhead and Boumann taking the next step is important in being able to put pressure on the older players.
    Speaking on centre half back, I'll throw this one out there.

Now that B. Hall is in the forward line could big Will play the Scott Wynd role and float back in defense and become another tall option in defense to block the taller opposition forwards. Marking isn't so much a key if Will can punch it to our advantage.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted about Reid though. I've loved what I've seen of him in 09 and hope he recovers and gets some miles into the legs over summer - I think he could be a really good player.

Post Thanks / Like

just stating the obvious I'd think. After 2 Prelims we expect to make the last dance.