Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Newman, Garry Lyon face Supreme Court grilling in Susan Alberti defamation suit

Sam Newman, Garry Lyon face Supreme Court grilling in Susan Alberti defamation suit

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...08-421,00.html

THE Footy Show stars Sam Newman and Garry Lyon face a Supreme Court grilling in a dramatic defamation trial brought against them and Channel 9.

The Herald Sun can reveal Western Bulldogs director Susan Alberti will confront the pair in a 10-day hearing from November 16.

The trial extends from an infamous 2008 Footy Show segment where Newman manhandled a lingerie-clad mannequin in a send-up of prominent footy journalist Caroline Wilson.

Dr Alberti was among a group of senior female AFL figures who wrote a letter of complaint to Nine bosses condemning the stunt.

The group called for The Footy Show cast to be counselled on their attitude towards women.

Signatories included AFL club board members, Sally Capp (Collingwood), Beverly Knight (Essendon), Lynn Ralph (Sydney), Sue Nattrass (Melbourne) and Janine Allis (Hawthorn).

But co-host Lyon publicly questioned the letter's credibility, alleging Ms Capp had said she did not want her name included. He also said that Dr Alberti had bought two tables in The Footy Show audience after the Newman skit.

Newman also weighed in, describing the group of AFL women as "liars and hypocrites". The former Geelong star went on to query the role of women in football-related matters.

"They serve very little purpose at board level. What do they do?" Newman said.

In a writ filed with the Supreme Court, Dr Alberti, a prominent businesswoman, alleges Channel 9 had defamed her.

She has engaged a high-powered legal team led by Will Houghton, QC, and is seeking damages and aggravated damages.

The network will argue that Newman and Lyon's comments were honestly held opinion based on "substantially true" facts.

Wilson has since accepted an apology from Nine.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Newman, Garry Lyon face Supreme Court grilling in Susan Alberti defamation su

Not a fan of Newman at the best of times, but I can't say I have much time for Alberti either. Seems to take everything as a personal attack and I can't stand women who constantly bang on about women's rights. The majority have respect for her/them, hence her position on the board. Obviously this is only touching the surface of a much larger issue, but from my perspective Alberti seems as though she's always trying to find ways to gain 'compensation'.

Wilson had far more right to be angered and if she took action, I could understand. However - she accepted an apology and got on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Newman, Garry Lyon face Supreme Court grilling in Susan Alberti defamation su

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not a fan of Newman at the best of times, but I can't say I have much time for Alberti either. Seems to take everything as a personal attack and I can't stand women who constantly bang on about women's rights. The majority have respect for her/them, hence her position on the board. Obviously this is only touching the surface of a much larger issue, but from my perspective Alberti seems as though she's always trying to find ways to gain 'compensation'.

Wilson had far more right to be angered and if she took action, I could understand. However - she accepted an apology and got on with it.
    I'll agree with you on one point which I've extended to its logical conclusion. Newman is a prize clown. His ego stands in the way of any sort of sense or reason and his willingness to be ignorant on matters both on the football field and off shows him to be a prime example of the old saying, "better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it". To be honest though, the audience who panders to him are probably as culpable as he is.

As for women who bang on about women's right's, maybe if we didn't have to read in the newspaper about teenage girls being pack raped by teenage boys, then they wouldn't have to, but things change slowly and some people take a while to get the message.
    I'd also like to note that Ms Alberti's ability to fund raise has ended up in a lot of money in the coffers of the football team she loves.
    I also imagine the issue in this case is less about dollars and more about taking a stand against a show which purports to be about football (I'd say it's more about ego's and sensationalism, it's certainly not about analysis of football) and often pays lip service to women and their role in the game without ever really treating them seriously and in the case of Newman being openly patronising.

As for Caro, well she did take the apology and got on with it, but without seeming like a conspiracy theorist, she's also a Channel 9 employee, hardly a good base from which to take a true stand.
    Last edited by The Underdog; 29-10-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: crossing the t's
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Hear hear Underdog, couldn't agree more. I'm with Ms Alberti all the way, mind you I don't know what it will take to make Sam Newman take a long hard look at himself, he seems to be an irredeemable tool.

It's good to see someone say on behalf of all the women in footy, we're mad as hell and we won't take it any more. Caro is not in a position to do it as she depends on these clowns for her livelihood.

Post Thanks / Like

You have just displayed one of the worst aspects of the Australian psyche - knock the tall poppy.

Dr Alberti claims she did not purchase two tables in The Footy Show audience after the Newman skit.

She also took issue with Newman's comments describing the group of AFL women as "liars and hypocrites and querying the role of women in football-related matters.

Also she took aim at his comment that"They (women) serve very little purpose at board level. What do they do?"

This woman does magnificent work on behalf of the club and I hope she wins the case.

And if she does, I'll have a side bet she sends the money off to her favourite charity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'll agree with you on one point which I've extended to its logical conclusion. Newman is a prize clown. His ego stands in the way of any sort of sense or reason and his willingness to be ignorant on matters both on the football field and off shows him to be a prime example of the old saying, "better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it". To be honest though, the audience who panders to him are probably as culpable as he is.
    Agreed, but we all know this. He's not going to change. He consistently plays up on and off the show. Nobody can deny his ego. I'm not going to lose sleep over any of it though. The fact that people keep rising to Newman only drives him further. That's what he aims for; controversy. He goes fishing and the same people keep biting.

As for women who bang on about women's right's, maybe if we didn't have to read in the newspaper about teenage girls being pack raped by teenage boys, then they wouldn't have to, but things change slowly and some people take a while to get the message.
    I have no doubt most if not all people have got the message. Like anything, there will be people who couldn't careless about it though. Has nothing to do with the broader issue of sexism/equal rights IMO. Just because a couple of clowns play up, it doesn't mean an entire community does too. Each case should be treated on its merit, but with women's rights, it isn't. That's without even going into what they are able to do in society that men can't.

I'd also like to note that Ms Alberti's ability to fund raise has ended up in a lot of money in the coffers of the football team she loves.
    I also imagine the issue in this case is less about dollars and more about taking a stand against a show which purports to be about football (I'd say it's more about ego's and sensationalism, it's certainly not about analysis of football) and often pays lip service to women and their role in the game without ever really treating them seriously and in the case of Newman being openly patronising.
    She does some good work for our club, but that doesn't really change my perception of her. I respect what she's been able to do, but she's regularly flaming people about women's rights. Much of these groups want it both ways (have there cake and eat it).

As I said, each case should be judged on its own. Newman's an idiot, we all know that. Continually bringing up the same issue is tedious though - especially when it didn't even involve her in the first place.

As for Caro, well she did take the apology and got on with it, but without seeming like a conspiracy theorist, she's also a Channel 9 employee, hardly a good base from which to take a true stand.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by KLC66 View Post
    Hear hear Underdog, couldn't agree more. I'm with Ms Alberti all the way, mind you I don't know what it will take to make Sam Newman take a long hard look at himself, he seems to be an irredeemable tool.

It's good to see someone say on behalf of all the women in footy, we're mad as hell and we won't take it any more. Caro is not in a position to do it as she depends on these clowns for her livelihood.
    This is the point. Newman isn't going to change, why do people keep thinking they can? That's not to say he should be allowed to get away with whatever he wants but in this instance it had very little to do with Alberti. It was Caroline Wilson's issue and she's in a better position than anybody to make a stand. More people would listen to Caroline Wilson than Alberti, but she decided to accept the apology and move on. That's fine, why does Alberti have to then come in and take over?

I just find the whole on-going issue ridiculous. Women have plenty of advantages over men in several circumstances. Vice versa. That's the way life is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    You have just displayed one of the worst aspects of the Australian psyche - knock the tall poppy.

Dr Alberti claims she did not purchase two tables in The Footy Show audience after the Newman skit.

She also took issue with Newman's comments describing the group of AFL women as "liars and hypocrites and querying the role of women in football-related matters.

Also she took aim at his comment that"They (women) serve very little purpose at board level. What do they do?"

This woman does magnificent work on behalf of the club and I hope she wins the case.

And if she does, I'll have a side bet she sends the money off to her favourite charity
    Can you imagine if we all took another person to court for every time we felt our intelligence was insulted?

I don't really care what she does for our club in this case. It's a different matter.

It's petty.

Post Thanks / Like

Women have plenty of advantages over men in several circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind if I ask exactly what those advantages are, TBB?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mind if I ask exactly what those advantages are, TBB?
    They can fondle boobs any time they want.

Post Thanks / Like

I rest my case.

Post Thanks / Like

lost me TBB,
    are you sure you do not have another agenda?

Post Thanks / Like

Women have plenty of advantages over men in several circumstances.
    Do you mind if I ask exactly what those advantages are, TBB?[/QUOTE]

you have gotta be joking, right?a

I work in a company that has over 6000 employees across Australia. 10 years ago management took a deliberate decision to hire 8 female employees for every two males. Better for customer service, they reckoned. Better to have part time workers they thought. Five years later all-female stores had the highest rates of staff conflict and absenteeism, and the highest rates of offers to upskill being rejected by staff. The company now has major staff skill level issues, a chronic lack of applicants suitable to take on management and leadership roles, and customer satisfaction is worse than ever

Do you know of anyone who's ever been accused of sexual harrassment? Plenty of high profile Court cases where the accused is named, the accuser anonymous. Its guilty until proven innocent. And even if not guilty, the accused is smeared forever. Think Theophanous here..but there are others.

Do you know anyone or have you been involved in Family Court matters? You try to fight that system and convince them you're as good a parent as a mother. Being relegated to a distant uncle to their own kids, losing their home and a 30%-50% pay cut to the take home pay doesn't sound like equality to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Esranit View Post
    lost me TBB,
    are you sure you do not have another agenda?
    Are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of Newman at the best of times, but I can't say I have much time for Alberti either. Seems to take everything as a personal attack and I can't stand women who constantly bang on about women's rights. The majority have respect for her/them, hence her position on the board. Obviously this is only touching the surface of a much larger issue, but from my perspective Alberti seems as though she's always trying to find ways to gain 'compensation'.Wilson had far more right to be angered and if she took action, I could understand. However - she accepted an apology and got on with it.
    That is a sweeping statement. Could you please elaborate and give me some examples.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post

I work in a company that has over 6000 employees across Australia. 10 years ago management took a deliberate decision to hire 8 female employees for every two males. Better for customer service, they reckoned. Better to have part time workers they thought. Five years later all-female stores had the highest rates of staff conflict and absenteeism, and the highest rates of offers to upskill being rejected by staff. The company now has major staff skill level issues, a chronic lack of applicants suitable to take on management and leadership roles, and customer satisfaction is worse than ever

Do you know of anyone who's ever been accused of sexual harrassment? Plenty of high profile Court cases where the accused is named, the accuser anonymous. Its guilty until proven innocent. And even if not guilty, the accused is smeared forever. Think Theophanous here..but there are others.

Do you know anyone or have you been involved in Family Court matters? You try to fight that system and convince them you're as good a parent as a mother. Being relegated to a distant uncle to their own kids, losing their home and a 30%-50% pay cut to the take home pay doesn't sound like equality to me.
    Good post and this is what I was alluding to.

Younger girls especially are given an arm chair ride. I have plenty of female friends who literally have jobs thrown at them. No such luck for the males. In the actual jobs themselves, they're generally given more leniency too. I've experienced it, heard it and seen it all a hundred times. Pretty fair to say that's why I can't stand listening to the whole "women aren't getting equal rights" line.

Take night clubs/bars for example. Majority of girls don't have to line-up nor pay the same price as men. They walk straight in and a lot of places have two different prices. (Some even free before a certain time).

The parenting custody is a huge one, too. Again I've seen first hand a few of these examples through close friends. It's ridiculous.

I don't hear any complaining about equal rights in any of those cases.

Note: I am not a "woman hater" of any kind. Just don't buy into this whole crap when there's plenty of examples for the other side of the coin, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    That is a sweeping statement. Could you please elaborate and give me some examples.
    Just through the newspapers/radio I've heard her speak a couple of times about it in the last two years.