Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hampshire

Post Thanks / Like

Hampshire

There's been some talk about Bluey in some of the threads and I use to like him as a kid. Small for a ruckman (my 1980 Scanlens card says 196cm) with the face of a blacksmith. What type of ruckman was he? He looks very heavy set to me, was he in the Scott Wynd mold? I never have really found out much about him except that I liked it when he was in the action on 7s big league of a Saturday night. Can some of the woofers who remember seeing him play describe him and why he was so respected by the club? I remember going to games when he was playing but I was usually climbing all over the rocks at the southwest end of the ground for half the game.

He did coach us I believe but did he captain us as well at any stage? A great effort from a player who started at another club. I wonder if TCD could track him down.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hampshire

I'm in a similar situation, as a kid I recall him as coach...had pics taken with him in the rooms (will try and track them down!) but don't recall much else...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

He might have been 196cm but ruckmen generally weren't that big back then. Purser and Round were both 194cm.

Bluey was definately more Ben Hudson than Patrick Ryder. He had broad shoulders and a big chest and got pushed around by nobody.

Mostly he was respected for giving 100% every single time he went onto a field. Not a huge amount of athletisism or natural talent but you knew exactly what you were going to get every week.

Post Thanks / Like

He was understudy to Gary Dempsey for a few years. Dempsey remains the best ruckman I have seen and Bluey was an honest toiler who gave good support to an all time great.

Saw Bluey give Mike Fitzpatrick a very hard time at Princes Park playing in the back pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

I was only a boy but all I can remember is him leaving nothing on the field not the class of Dempsey but the heart of Pharlap
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

True clubman. As other have said not blessed with skill but never shirked an issue. Bluey retired to take over the coaching role from Royce Hart. Bluey personified the Bulldogs' image of the early 80's.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

One day when Bluey was coach we were getting absolutely crucified by the umpires. The fans were crying out for some sort of action.

At quarter time Bluey went off towards the umpires in the centre of the ground, he had some sort of thin book or white paper held in his right hand, he stopped about 20 metres short and stuck his hand rigorously up at them.

We gave such a cheer.

The umpires barely noticed and it the incident was not pursued by the VFL.

Such was his courage, he was a hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this was Bluey Hampshire going for the mark at the Lake Oval in the early 80's correct me if I'm wrong I was very bad at labeling my photos.

Other players for the dogs (I think) are Bill Berry also going the mark with Brian cordy in the forground, Bruce Reid to the right and Alan McConnell at the back.

I also think Alister Ford was playing at the time so it maybe him.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

That is a fantastic image that's going straight to the desktop thanks for sharing. Is that the pyrox sponsor patch? SS you are right you didn't need to be a giant to be the big man in the middle back then, but there were some big boys that Bluey would of been up against, Lee from Richmond, Moore from the Pies/Demons (who could jump), the Maddens must of just come onto the scene. Bluey would have come up against these giants. Thanks for all the great info, his picture becomes a little clearer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The lake oval scene of many a hammering in the late 70's early 80's. Bluey was a real toiler and a heart like pharlap.Did a good job after that Richmond plant Hart got the tijana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

I think this was Bluey Hampshire going for the mark at the Lake Oval in the early 80's correct me if I'm wrong I was very bad at labeling my photos.

Other players for the dogs (I think) are Bill Berry also going the mark with Brian cordy in the forground, Bruce Reid to the right and Alan McConnell at the back.
    Spot on with the players ...a terrific photo.

Bluey looked like he was 40 or 50 in his playing days, a very older looking man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

I also think Alister Ford was playing at the time so it maybe him.
    I'm very often wrong about these things but I reckon it's not Bluey going for the grab, Hampshire's hair wasnt that blond. At bfirst I thought it was Bruce Reid but that's him just off the contest to the right so I think it might be Al Ford.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think its Al Ford build and head dont look right.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like Tony Morwood (21) and possibly Steve Wright (22) for Swans

Post Thanks / Like

Trawling through old pics at Mum's tonight, I found a pic of me, Jim Edmond and Bluey Hampshire in the change rooms... will try to post here when I can.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]