Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  249
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harmes

Post Thanks / Like

James Harmes

Simple premise for this thread - somebody convince me that this is a good idea.

His best football was in 2021 as a centre bounce mid. If we're serious about including more players in that rotation, I want it to be youth with upside.

2023 stats/averages
    9 games
    1 goal 5 behinds
    12 disposals
    1.8 clearances
    0.1 goal assists
    3.4 tackles
    17.8 pressure acts

Edit: he is also reported to be on 500k per year

Post Thanks / Like

Re: James Harmes

It’s poo. And smacks of someone out of ideas, or trading for the sake of it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If I was to try and sell it I'd say he adresses gaps in our list. Defensive midset in the middle/tagging. Added pace. Premiership experience. Pressure as a forward. A bit of 'hardness'

Maybe attributes to convert to a lockdown defender though I have no idea if that's possible with him.

Not sure I'm sold either TBH.

4. Likes Sedat, azabob, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to get excited about him at the moment and while his 2021 season was quite good his best football in terms of possession numbers go back to 2018 and 2019.

When you throw in some question marks about his off field conduct it would need for a bit to go right to make it a success.

I'm not against bringing him in and I'm not concerned about his age which is often a distraction when we discuss bringing in experienced players from other teams but I just wonder if he is a depth player or if we have a genuine spot in mind that he will fill.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the idea of bringing in a change of mentality to our mid group and having someone involved who can set the tone in terms of "defensive accountability".

There's gotta be a better version than Harmes though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

When googling I did see that he had time off at the start of the year for "personal reasons" so maybe he does just need a change of scenery like Lachie Hunter.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If I was to try and sell it I'd say he adresses gaps in our list. Defensive midset in the middle/tagging. Added pace. Premiership experience. Pressure as a forward. A bit of 'hardness'

Maybe attributes to convert to a lockdown defender though I have no idea if that's possible with him.

Not sure I'm sold either TBH.
    All decent arguments. We aren't going to live or die in 2024 whether or not we take Harmes. Is he an upgrade on our 19-23 players selected each week? Does he fit an area of need? Has he come from a winning environment? If the answer is yes to these 3 questions, it's a reasonable call to make if the cost is minimal.

The problem isn't really getting Harmes, it is giving the likes of Baker and VDM generous contract extensions (in terms of length). These types should be on a short leash (if any at all) - I would argue giving VDM 3 years is more irresponsible (in terms of list management) than 8 years for Naughton.
    Last edited by Sedat; 10-10-2023 at 06:20 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes anfo27, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't. Cooked.

12. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harmes sucks and this is a shocking move that will not work.

We haven?t made one move I?ve liked at the trade table in 3 years. In fact we haven?t made one move at the trade table in 3 years that I haven?t hated and between Coffield, Harmes, and O?Brien it seems like we?re going out of our way to target guys that I in particular think are terrible.

We need to make it stop before someone puts a call in to lure Cale Hooker out of retirement.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Harmes sucks and this is a shocking move that will not work.

We haven?t made one move I?ve liked at the trade table in 3 years. In fact we haven?t made one move at the trade table in 3 years that I haven?t hated and between Coffield, Harmes, and O?Brien it seems like we?re going out of our way to target guys that I in particular think are terrible.

We need to make it stop before someone puts a call in to lure Cale Hooker out of retirement.
    I'm okay with Coffield as he is the "good player with injury issues" that is worth a risk.

"Average player who is getting old and has no scope for improvement" is not worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

OFFICIAL:

Harmes requests trade to dogs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm okay with Coffield as he is the "good player with injury issues" that is worth a risk.

"Average player who is getting old and has no scope for improvement" is not worth the risk.
    Is he though? He was decent in 2020 but out of the side on form in 2021 and wasn’t able to get a game at all this year despite being fit for most of it.

Unless we think that TOB has left a massive hole on the list I don’t really see the point in replacing him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Is he though? He was decent in 2020 but out of the side on form in 2021 and wasn’t able to get a game at all this year despite being fit for most of it.

Unless we think that TOB has left a massive hole on the list I don’t really see the point in replacing him.
    Was he? Must not have lasted long as he played 18 games and then 21 the year after.

I think our offer is 3 years+1, partly to flatten out his salary but all I can say is I hope he surprises us because that'll be a long time to have a list spot tied up on him. Maybe he's the next Dureya? Please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Was he? Must not have lasted long as he played 18 games and then 21 the year after.

I think our offer is 3 years+1, partly to flatten out his salary but all I can say is I hope he surprises us because that'll be a long time to have a list spot tied up on him. Maybe he's the next Dureya? Please?
    3+1?

You shitting me. Serious? Melbourne handing back Hunter’s salary contribution as well for this year and next? FMD.

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    OFFICIAL:

Harmes requests trade to dogs.
    Ha. This is the worst.