http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eke

eke

2 to manage with difficulty to make (a living, livelihood etc) The artist could scarcely eke out a living from his painting.

'Ekers' is a term I use for players who are great at eking out a career. Please don't confuse my ekers with list cloggers though.

List cloggers include players who once were guns that are no longer worth their spot on the list. The term relates to their value here and now.

Being an Eker is based on:
- Whole career: Never being a gun/All-Australian/Best and Fairest winner etc.
- Just doing enough to survive.
- Unlike the term 'list clogger', Eker does not imply you should be delisted (however it does help). You can actually be an Eker and a valuable member of your side.
- Pure ekers survive by finding playing a role that their side really struggles to fill.
- The longer the survive, the great an Eker you are.
- Special bonus points for being able to survive despite being delisted/traded away for nothing.

The delistings that come with list lodgements are the worst time of the year for these Ekers. Many has fallen but that means even more eker respect for those who survived.

Anyways, after my super laborious explanations, here are my nominations for each club's greatest current Eker.

Adelaide: Michael Doughty
Brisbane: Brent Staker
Carlton: Simon Wiggins
Collingwood: Leigh Brown
Essendon: Nathan Lovett-Murray
Fremantle: Antoni Grover
Geelong: Josh Hunt
Hawthorn: Simon Taylor
Melbourne: Mark Jamar
North Melbourne: Leigh Harding
Port Adelaide: Jay Schulz
Richmond: Jordan McMahon